Will the higher 2020 CTR MSRP impact the 17'-19 resale value in a few years?

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
ADM has no bearing on used prices. Demand and production numbers do. People who paid ADM threw that money in a barrel and lit it on fire, because the second that car left the lot it was worth less than MSRP.

As supply drops and years wear on, that is where value may hold or appreciate, but it will take a long time to realize that.
I would argue that ADM did have some impact on used car prices for a little while, since private and used sale prices were still over MSRP in certain areas after release. However it didn't have lasting impact so maybe I'm just being a tiny bit pedantic... :D Personally I'm still pleasantly surprised at how much used CTRs are going for, but I agree that ADM has no impact currently.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there were two types of people that paid large ADMs:

1) They just really wanted the car, price be damned
2) They wanted to gamble on the car being rare and spike value X years later (as per your last statement)

I'm really curious what that Venn diagram looks like, and how big they'd be in comparison to each other (I'm guessing #1 > #2). And throw in those that didn't pay ADM... Too bad we'd likely never see that data, as I don't think dealers would release that info en masse.

So to OP: the 2020 model will only really impact if the changes are significant enough to influence used car buyers in a few years. i.e.: If the 2020 has a perceived increased or decreased value compared to the previous year models. We'll have to wait and see how reception is, and how that perception holds over time.
Sponsored

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Comparing GTR to a Civic you’re in outer space, the new 2020 Civic will sell below sticker so figure about $39K sticker and will sell for $37,500.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
So you think the 2020 will sell below MSRP? I don’t see that until the demand has dried up or people have moved on to a ‘new shiny object’. The dealers aren’t helping the situation after they forced ADM on everyone and then moving to a new ‘we don’t have ADM but....we have add $5k in options that we won’t remove’ to push the OTD price to over $40k.

Personally the BS the dealers are doing are pushing people to look at low mileage used CTRs - bc at least you know the price they are selling them doesn’t hold/hide undisclosed BS options that no one wants. The one thing I could see is the dealers removing the options and selling the car at MSRP....if that is the case then the used market will go down some (just my .02) since you know the price you are getting the car for - and if one really likes the new features - even so.

As for comparing the GTR - remember you are comparing the CTR to a ‘poor mans exotic’ - they aren’t in the same league. But...if you are - remember that the GTRs that were over 500HP held their value more than those that were the earlier models.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The hype for the CTR has fizzled if you’re paying over MSRP you’re not looking very hard, plenty of people on here have posted they have bought the CTR for less than MSRP and no add ons. The GTR is in a completely different class than the CTR, it sells new for over $100K, no comparison at all. The GTR is a GTR, the CTR is a Civic with really big wheels and tires and extra power.

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
The hype for the CTR has fizzled if you’re paying over MSRP you’re not looking very hard, plenty of people on here have posted they have bought the CTR for less than MSRP and no add ons. The GTR is in a completely different class than the CTR, it sells new for over $100K, no comparison at all. The GTR is a GTR, the CTR is a Civic with really big wheels and tires and extra power.
Yeah...you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Because a few people are able to buy at a reasonable price means absolutely Jack shit. I spent 3 months shopping nationwide and ended up shipping my car from Missouri to Oregon and this was just a few months ago. I paid 36,800. There were a few dealerships offering the car at similar price, but none were the color I wanted.

I’m sure the people thought the hype would die down for the 2018 and 2019 models and looked what happened - MSRP went up and 99% of dealerships had fat ADM on the cars.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag

Because a few people are able to buy at a reasonable price means absolutely Jack shit. I spent 3 months shopping nationwide and ended up shipping my car from Missouri to Oregon and this was just a few months ago. I paid 36,800. There were a few dealerships offering the car at similar price, but none were the color I wanted.

I’m sure the people thought the hype would die down for the 2018 and 2019 models and looked what happened - MSRP went up and 99% of dealerships had fat ADM on the cars.
Agree. Market is still very tight in a lot of areas. Colorado is MSRP+. I shipped mine from FL.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I plan on putting 30k kilometers a year on my car, for the next 20 years. And I plan on selling my car for $1,000,000, when that day comes. With that mileage.

#retirementplans

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-2003 VW Jetta GLI VR6
Country flag
Probably because of MSRP trend over the years:
  • 2017: MSRP $34.9K
  • 2018: MSRP $35.5K
  • 2019: MSRP $37.2K
If you had to guess, what do you think MSRP on the MY2020 will be?
I only paid $36,595 for my 2019. Sticker price off showroom floor at the time. Mid May of 2019.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I would say you got a great deal. In the DFW area - I haven’t been able to find one without ADM or with $4-5k worth of accessories that are mandatory to be included in teh price of the car. To me while the CTR might be a great car - but waiting out the ‘additional cost/accessory add on etc’; at least the ADM is now not a thing and hopefully after this car hits the 2nd gen later this year the MSRP will be high enough that people won’t buy it with all the BS accessories haha. Then maybe we all will be able to get this car at MSRP or even below.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

MSRP always goes up a little, that’s normal, where I live in the Midwest there are tons of CTR’s to be had at sticker and less. West coast marks em up I guess, but not here. No fat ADMs here whatsoever. I live right near the Honda mothership in Marysville, Ohio might have something to with it.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I would say you got a great deal. In the DFW area - I haven’t been able to find one without ADM or with $4-5k worth of accessories that are mandatory to be included in teh price of the car. To me while the CTR might be a great car - but waiting out the ‘additional cost/accessory add on etc’; at least the ADM is now not a thing and hopefully after this car hits the 2nd gen later this year the MSRP will be high enough that people won’t buy it with all the BS accessories haha. Then maybe we all will be able to get this car at MSRP or even below.
Go out of state. Paid $50 above invoice in FL and shipped it to CO.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Probably because of MSRP trend over the years:
  • 2017: MSRP $34.9K
  • 2018: MSRP $35.5K
  • 2019: MSRP $37.2K
If you had to guess, what do you think MSRP on the MY2020 will be?
$38,600 is my bet :D

OP
OP

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
Hey folks,
Just to respond to people's comments about GTR - The CTR and GTR are indeed completely different animals. However, it was mentioned because GTR also had (similar) price bump over its life cycle.
Cheers,

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just saw a sales guy posted one in Pittsburgh for $500 below sticker, no add ons, etc. just need to look.

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With them adding sensing to the 2020 I bet it is 40 or more.
Sponsored