Will the Civic Si get phased out?

TenGen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6 Speed
I expect the 2.0 to be a k series similar to what they did with the base model rsx. That or a new r20. Either way I can't wait to see what honda does.
Sponsored

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
I expect the 2.0 to be a k series similar to what they did with the base model rsx. That or a new r20. Either way I can't wait to see what honda does.
"There's plenty of time ahead to discuss particulars like fuel economy and horsepower, but this new Civic will offer a new DOHC VTEC engine for lower trims, and for upper grades, as I said, an all-new 1.5-liter VTEC Turbo from our Earth Dreams Technology lineup." - John Mendel, NYIAS Press Conference

He says it's a "new" DOHC VTEC, so I'm guessing it won't be a K-Series.

Jorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 scion tc
I'm really curious to see just how much juice they can pull out of a 1.5 liter engine

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm really curious to see just how much juice they can pull out of a 1.5 liter engine
In interviews they've claimed the same output as the 2.0 and 2.4 N/A engines is possible while still having better fuel economy than both. Now, start shaving off some of those MPGs and i'm sure peak possible output is pretty high up there for such a little engine.

Jorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 scion tc
Ford's 1.6L EcoBoost in the Fiesta ST makes 197 hp/202 lb-ft.
True, but if honda is talking about the civic being sportier I expect better numbers than the previous gen civic. I'm sure it will but something about 1.5 really bugs me

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And the Hyundai 1.6L Turbo in the Veloster and Kia Fortes makes 201 hp/ 195 lb-ft.

VA2K

Silver Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
They will always keep the SI badge

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I heard Honda is gonna kill off the Si because they fear it'll cannibalize sales of the CTR. Yup, that's the word going around.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I heard Honda is gonna kill off the Si because they fear it'll cannibalize sales of the CTR. Yup, that's the word going around.
Well it won't be anytime soon since they've already said the si for this generation is coming. The ctr is in a different league power and price wise of the si. I don't really see the si interfering with ctr sales. If you can't afford a ctr you get an si. If you can afford a ctr why would you get an si instead? The si is now going to be the middle ground performance car for the civic and it's still going to sell a lot more cars than the ctr will. It wouldn't make any business sense for Honda to get rid of the si unless the base civic jumps in performance or the ctr greatly lowers in price.

If anything happens it'll be the si becoming more mainstream like the other trims in adopting an automatic transmission option. But it'll still have the better power/handling the si is known for

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Sorry Rob I was being sarcastic. never mind me.

I just got bummed out when an obvious expert pointed out that Honda can't fit a 2.0T into the coupe anyways.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry Rob I was being sarcastic. never mind me.

I just got bummed out when an obvious expert pointed out that Honda can't fit a 2.0T into the coupe anyways.
Haha no worry. Really??? A 2.0t won't fit in the coupe at all? Why's that? As far as I know all variants of the civic share the same hood/nose/front overhang. So if a 2.0t doesn't fit in the coupe it wouldn't fit in the hatch ctr either.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
Haha no worry. Really??? A 2.0t won't fit in the coupe at all? Why's that? As far as I know all variants of the civic share the same hood/nose/front overhang. So if a 2.0t doesn't fit in the coupe it wouldn't fit in the hatch ctr either.
Of course a 2.0T will fit. The engine compartment looks tight in the pics but a 2.0L NA engine already fits so no reason a 2.0L turbo engine won't fit.
Sponsored