s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My S2000 didn't appreciate, but then again, it had 315k miles on it when I sold it. Had it been a garage queen with low miles, pretty sure it would have sold for more than my purchasing price 17 years ago. It did sell for almost $10k and I had like 300 messages within the first day alone of posting it on fb marketplace. The FK8 may be in a similar situation down the road.
Sponsored

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, the other day I was looking online for a clean manual EK or EG hatch for project and I can tell you a somewhat clean white or black manual...price is in the 12 to 15k$

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
If you want to make money, buy land. It is nearly impossible to predict what will be valuable in the future. Especially with cars and the hard initiative to move away from fossil fuels and the combustion engine.

Last edited:

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
More and more value threads...

Collectability, popular, desirable, value, price relative to new, relative to what I paid, low miles, high miles, modded - the list goes on. It’s all c&c bs talk. Thats ok (and can be fun) but you’re delusional if you think you know what’s going to happen or if you are buying these cars with an eye towards $$. If $$ is high up on the reason to buy list, don’t and simply invest the money.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
10-20 years from now, will a sub 1k miles FK8 sell for more than original MSRP? Absolutely.

10+ years from now, will your daily driven FK8 sell for more than MSRP? Not a chance. Will it be a very desirable used car and have a high value compared to other cars? Yep. Will it be one of those cars you sell and 10 years later wish you kept? Yep. If Honda keeps making a Type R every generation it's gonna end up being just like the used M3 market.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
There was a mint 08’ S2000 CR with only 985 miles that sold at auction recently for $117,000.

Car is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
High value when time to sell is just a bonus, at least to me. I drive and own cars I like as if I will never sell them. The low depreciation is just icing on the cake. That's it. I don't think any person with half a brain buys a car thinking it will have some kind of bitcoin rally. I buy a car, enjoy the hell out of it while taking care of it, then sell with relatively low loss. My S2000 with 315k miles sold for about a third of the value I bought it for in nominal terms almost 2 decades later, and about a quarter of the initial value in real terms. Win win win.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
My S2000 didn't appreciate, but then again, it had 315k miles on it when I sold it. Had it been a garage queen with low miles, pretty sure it would have sold for more than my purchasing price 17 years ago. It did sell for almost $10k and I had like 300 messages within the first day alone of posting it on fb marketplace. The FK8 may be in a similar situation down the road.
In the early 2000s, the MSRP on regular S2000s was like $32K. In today's money, that's almost $50K. Again, outside of some museum quality undriven gem, no regular S2K will ever net you your money back (adjusted for inflation) today.

There was a mint 08’ S2000 CR with only 985 miles that sold at auction recently for $117,000.

Car is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
Exactly my point. It takes hitting on a barely driven gem of an example to triple your money on that car 13 years later. If you buy an LE and never drive it, you MAY also double or triple your money in 13 years if you find the right buyer.......now consider that even if you bought in at its PEAK in 2008 right before the crash, that same money in the market would be worth over 3 times its value today.

No guessing or luck or not stressing over not driving your car turned investment. If you bought at the bottom in 09 instead of buying that same CR, your money would be worth over 5 times its value.

Every car mentioned here has shown to be a shitty investment long term, including some that have now skyrocketed in value.

AntsFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red Civic Type R
Country flag
Boost Blue is actually the most produced color of the 2020 and 2021 model year CTR. Rallye Red, by contrast, has only been about 10-20% of all colors shipped since the 2020 model year. Right now, there are 342 Type Rs for sale in the US. Only 17 of those are Rallye Red, compared to 94 BB.

What I'm getting at is I don't think BB will be that much more rare than a color like Rallye Red, AGB or even PMM. White will be by far the most color produced. Just my opinion anyway
Sheesh... my boy came in hot with the statistics. Glad I have a Rallye Red one then haha

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
In the early 2000s, the MSRP on regular S2000s was like $32K. In today's money, that's almost $50K. Again, outside of some museum quality undriven gem, no regular S2K will ever net you your money back (adjusted for inflation) today.
That's just it. I don't know about you, but I buy cars to enjoy them. If they depreciate little or slower than average, then great. If not, hey at least I enjoyed the car. Either way, it's a win.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
There are definitely better ways to invest your money than cars. The older I get, the more I say I never want to live a life of woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
High value when time to sell is just a bonus, at least to me. I drive and own cars I like as if I will never sell them. The low depreciation is just icing on the cake. That's it. I don't think any person with half a brain buys a car thinking it will have some kind of bitcoin rally. I buy a car, enjoy the hell out of it while taking care of it, then sell with relatively low loss. My S2000 with 315k miles sold for about a third of the value I bought it for in nominal terms almost 2 decades later, and about a quarter of the initial value in real terms. Win win win.
High value also helps with insurance claims at the time of a write off, at least in Canada.

Cars are an 'investment' for knuckle draggers truth be told. You'd make more money not buying a Type R all together lol.

Last edited:

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
On a related note, this rise in prices due to inflation is nuts. Just told my elderly dad that I bought a car for around 40k and he started yelling at me lol. Clearly he hasn't been shopping for cars in a while. The CTR is around average in terms of new car prices these days. Not cheap, but not exactly balling either ha.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
High value also helps with insurance claims at the time of a write off, at least in Canada.

Cars are an 'investment' for knuckle daggers truth be told. You'd make more money not buying a Type R all together lol.
Right. I would have bought the CTR even if depreciation was average on this car. I got it for the fun. The fact that it will most likely depreciate less is just an added bonus when time to sell.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
On a related note, this rise in prices due to inflation is nuts. Just told my elderly dad that I bought a car for around 40k and he started yelling at me lol. Clearly he hasn't been shopping for cars in a while. The CTR is around average in terms of new car prices these days. Not cheap, but not exactly balling either ha.
Haha I so get this. My dad is your stereotypical no education but super hard working immigrant who did very well for himself over the years being good with money. First thing he asked when he saw this car, before making fun of the wing, was "how much they take from you ?"

His jaw dropped when he heard $40K for a civic......except he forgets that he spent like $20K in the early 80s on a new BMW E30 ? ironically, it became my first car in high school 20 years later. Hell, he spent over $30K on my mom's CRV 10 years ago.

I didn't give him the "in today's dollars...." talk but it's the first thing that popped in my mind!
Sponsored