Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I am interested in getting another hood for my CTR for track use. The aftermarket hoods are crazy expensive and I thought getting a regular hatchback hood without the scoop might work as I am planning on installing venting louvers. I see no need to pay for a basically non functional scoop when I am planning to cut the hood up anyway for better cooling.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The latch is in a different location from the other Civic hoods if I'm not mistaken.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Yeah the latches on other the other civic's hoods are different.

Theres also the option of going for a replica hood

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Isn't the CTR hood aluminum and the regular Civic is not? The aluminum hood is listed as a feature in the CTR press kit.

Edit: Adding this quote from the document.

Aluminum Hood

Saving 11.7 pounds compared to the Civic Hatchback’s steel hood, the Type R’s aluminum hood directly contributes to the vehicles low mass, lower center of gravity and optimized front/rear weight distribution. The result is a better-balanced vehicle, superior handling dynamics and higher level of exclusivity.

Last edited:

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Isn't the CTR hood aluminum and the regular Civic is not? The aluminum hood is listed as a feature in the CTR press kit.

Edit: Adding this quote from the document.
If the CTR was built in Swindon, the hood would be aluminium.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could swapping latches work?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
you are gimping yourself.....The CTR hood weighs less

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The whole purpose of this plan is to aid cooling. If you have followed numerous other threads re track use and the CTR, cooling on the track is a big issue and lots of solutions help but don't totally fix the problem. Adding 12 lb higher up in the car is definitely NOT a good idea and the louvers will also screw up the aero a bit. OTOH, making sure the engine doesn't start pulling power on the track due to overheating or worse going in to limp mode is the real goal.

BTW, running without a hood is generally both an aero and cooling disaster on the track. OK for the drag strip possibly.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The whole purpose of this plan is to aid cooling. If you have followed numerous other threads re track use and the CTR, cooling on the track is a big issue and lots of solutions help but don't totally fix the problem. Adding 12 lb higher up in the car is definitely NOT a good idea and the louvers will also screw up the aero a bit. OTOH, making sure the engine doesn't start pulling power on the track due to overheating or worse going in to limp mode is the real goal.

BTW, running without a hood is generally both an aero and cooling disaster on the track. OK for the drag strip possibly.
Have you tried Mishimoto secondary race intercooler?

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^ This. easily remedied with removal of the latch and use of hood pins.
Agree but I would rather put the non louvered hood back on for street use. I dunno, maybe I could use pins for both hoods.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

Something like this isn't going to harm aero much at track speeds. Bonneville, sure. A track where you're tops hitting 130? Nah.

Honda Civic 10th gen Will other Honda Hoods work on a CTR? 1610568892664