BMP99SI

First Name
Bairon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si 2-Door Coupe
Country flag
So I’m planning on doing mods in the future for my 2018 Civic Si coupe. I wanted to do everything PRL (intake, turbo kit, Inter cooler, etc). All I have currently is a little K&N intake. I then want to add Ktuner, maybe dyno tune the car. But I’ve heard that the engines can’t support the power these mods give it. I’m scared that my car will blow up if I add these mods. But Is it true? What mods have you done to your car? And how long have you had them? Has your engine ever blown up?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It will eventually blow up. Every car will regardless of modding or not. But when you push more power than what the car was designed for, you shorten the lifespan of the vehicle and it’s parts.

If you are going all out and spending 10k on a 25k car, get the engine built with stronger parts to handle the power gains.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Ktuner, intake, intercooler, dyno tune, these are all pretty safe to have. If you read the tune survey in the technical section you'll see that there are tons of people running tunes for very long periods of time.

When you start adding turbo kits, there is more risk of failure but getting a proper dyno tune from someone well versed on this platform will help immensely.

There are a lot of people out there running bigger turbos. And have been doing so for a while. I myself have the 2860R from prl kit. I have it paired with a flex kit. I have been running this kit for about a ~8000 miles. I also drive aggressively often(%80 or more throttle). I've done plenty of WOT pulls too.

Staying on top of maintenance is very important. Oil changes, I do mine every 3k miles. Using only 93oct. If I have to use anything less I dont do any WOT pulls until I have 93 back in the tank. Not using things like injector cleaners (recommended by my tuner). Also not exceeding a certain percentage of E85 content to not strain the fuel system.

My advice, if you plan to push the car past 300whp/300 wtq and keep it for years, make sure you are able to build the block. Because there's no guarantee on how long it will last.
Sponsored