Will Honda void my warranty?

Ikrashk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback sport 2020
Country flag
Hi,

This is my second year under lease with a Honda certified dealership (DCH Paramus) (planning on financing) . But I’ve made some modifications like tunes (ktuner), PRL catted downpipe, and PRL CAI. I recently hit 30k miles and noticed there’s clicking noises when I turn the steering wheel all the way and accelerate. So I need to get a replacement. Someone mentioned that it should be covered under my warranty but since I got done modifications, do you guys think Honda would void my warranty if they saw these mods? I don’t want to bring it in to the dealership for no reason. thanks!
Sponsored

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
The tune will but they don't usually check. A CAI won't but I'm not sure about the cat.

It's generally advised to be very cautious about modifying a vehicle while under warranty

It would be a good idea to return it to stock first. They probably won't notice an ECU returned to stock but it's possible

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
As long as your suspension and clutch is stock "most likely" they would honor the replacement of a clicking axle. And worst case they won't "void" your warranty, they would just deny paying for the repairs.

OP
OP
Ikrashk

Ikrashk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As long as your suspension and clutch is stock "most likely" they would honor the replacement of a clicking axle. And worst case they won't "void" your warranty, they would just deny paying for the repairs.
Yea my suspension and clutch are complete stock, so I’ll try to give them a visit. Thanks for the feedback!!

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As long as your mods didn't cause the failure the warranty would apply.
I'd be more concerned about how your lease contract reads. You may have to "eat" the total cost of a vehicle you don't own.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Hard to say for sure. They may cover it, they may not.

They covered mine even though it was lowered, tuned, etc. but I didn’t expect them to. I brought it in for the AC recall repair and was expecting to have to pay out of pocket for the driver side axel.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
honda could say the power adders contributed to the extra torque being supplied to the axles causing failure. bring back to stock and have them check it out.

OP
OP
Ikrashk

Ikrashk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
honda could say the power adders contributed to the extra torque being supplied to the axles causing failure. bring back to stock and have them check it out.
When you say bring back to stock, do you mean just to flash my car back to stock? Or the parts as well

OP
OP
Ikrashk

Ikrashk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

They covered mine even though it was lowered, tuned, etc. but I didn’t expect them to. I brought it in for the AC recall repair and was expecting to have to pay out of pocket for the driver side axel.
Did you flash it back to stock when you gave them your car?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are turning the car back in off lease then you would need to completely put it back to stock. Lease companies have very strict clauses in their terms. You could be paying a big chunk for them to "fix" it if anything gets denied due to mods. That's why we always say to never mod a leased vehicle.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Did you flash it back to stock when you gave them your car?
Nope. Realistically, the tech probably knew it was tuned, but they want to earn money from warranty work too. I’d wager a relatively cheap part with minimal labor doesn’t go under much, if any, scrutiny from corporate for payout approval

OP
OP
Ikrashk

Ikrashk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are turning the car back in off lease then you would need to completely put it back to stock. Lease companies have very strict clauses in their terms. You could be paying a big chunk for them to "fix" it if anything gets denied due to mods. That's why we always say to never mod a leased vehicle.
Oh no, I’m only talking about giving them my car to get it serviced. Because according to them and several people, the warranty should cover the replacement for the axle

OP
OP
Ikrashk

Ikrashk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope. Realistically, the tech probably knew it was tuned, but they want to earn money from warranty work too. I’d wager a relatively cheap part with minimal labor doesn’t go under much, if any, scrutiny from corporate for payout approval
Ah I see, so even if the warranty covers it, they’re still going to try to get money out of it?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I have had warranty work done on a car with a single sparco seat and no passenger seat installed amongst many other mods. Your suspension doesn’t have anything to do with the mods you have.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag

Any recalls from the factory they have to do no matter what. Now if they were going to do a recall on the cat and you already swaped it out for a better one you would just not go correct
Sponsored