Will Honda continue to update the infotainment center?

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm new to Honda, so I'm not sure how good they are about these things. Do we expect that Honda will continue to update the software until it is more stable and bug-free? Or do we think they'll just fix it for the next model and tell us we have to buy an entirely new car?

Honestly, if it weren't for the craptastic infotainment center, I would be thrilled with this car.
Sponsored

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe there will be at least one stability update. There was one such update to the infotainment system in my 2013 Accord. Although the issues with my Accord were less critical and more intermittent.

There won't be any update to the system that would add features. I think that is a pretty strong history we can bank on at least for this generation. Mid-life refresh may change that but nothing for this model year or the next 1-2 years.

I believe the new Civic Infotainment system is caught in between two worlds .... the old school manner that auto manufacturers used in the past to manage issue. This approach was based primarily on 3 yr development cycles. This new Civic is the first to leverage embedded Android as the basis for the system, and this approach would benefit from a simpler update / upgrade mechanism... something that could be performed by the owner outside of a dealer visit installed via a complete firmware upgrade installed on a USB stick.

Other than Ford Sync 3 (using QNX), all auto mfg's are struggling with this right now.

Last edited:

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm guessing 2-3 updates but mostly bug/stability fixes though. They aren't going to add any features. I'm happy with the feature set, and mine has been very stable, but I haven't gone crazy with changing the settings yet. (its not my daily driver yet)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Other than Ford Sync 3 (using QNX), all auto mfg's are struggling with this right now.
Spot on post. But the jury is still out on Sync3. To the extent that it is a success, it will be because Ford took to heart the incredibly painful lessons (for Ford and its customers) from the MyFordTouch debacle. This is why I said, in another post, that I didn't doubt Honda quality was better than Ford except as regards infotainment and, there, Honda was still in school for the lessons Ford has already learned.

And I bet it's going to take Honda at least two updates, maybe three. Not for features. Just to make it work mostly as intended.
Sponsored