Will altering MAF sensor cause emissions code?

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
So this is my first post, just got a brand new 2020 SI, I had a 2018 EX-T prior with homdata tuner and mishimoto short ram intake. Well the intake didn't quite fit the SI because the MAF sensor was too big for the housing of the intake. Well, I decided to shave down some excess plastic on the sensor and it ended up fitting(kinda). In the process of shaving it down, I cut a little tiny bit out of the little slot at the bottom where the air actually channels through and gets measured. At the top of the sensor where it's bolted in, it's also a different size so I could only effectively bolt down one side of the sensor. The other side is mildly raised and it may be causing a vacuum leak.

My question, is shaving down the sensor the cause for a emissions code? Or do you think it's the leak at the top of the sensor? I was planning on wrapping the sensor and housing in a plastic wrap and resetting the code to see if that would prevent a vacuum leak and if not then it's the sensor. And then maybe I could use tap to kinda close the sensor back up. I know I'm going to get shit for doing this, but a new sensor is cheap, the intake was not cheap. I can always replace the sensor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Will altering MAF sensor cause emissions code? 20200718_104212

Honda Civic 10th gen Will altering MAF sensor cause emissions code? 20200718_104216

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Get a MAF housing for a Si and a new MAF sensor.

Running like that can cause some serious damage due to incorrect trims.

OP
OP
Austinhr97

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Get a MAF housing for a Si and a new MAF sensor.

Running like that can cause some serious damage due to incorrect trims.

Here's a couple pictures so you can see what I mean

Honda Civic 10th gen Will altering MAF sensor cause emissions code? 20200718_114251

Honda Civic 10th gen Will altering MAF sensor cause emissions code? 20200718_114309

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Get a new MAF sensor. If you can also get a replacement MAF housing from Mishimoto the for the Si to make it work.

Altering the structural design of the MAF sensor will cause a lot of problems since it will not pick up the air flow properly as designed. No wonder you’re having a code.

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sorry but this thread :doh::doh::doh:

You avoided buying the new housing you needed in the first place, now you need to buy it anyway AND a new MAF sensor because you've junked yours. Some shortcuts are not worth taking.

OP
OP
Austinhr97

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Sorry but this thread :doh::doh::doh:

You avoided buying the new housing you needed in the first place, now you need to buy it anyway AND a new MAF sensor because you've junked yours. Some shortcuts are not worth taking.

I realize that, but there are no options to buy the mishimoto housing alone, I would have to buy a whole new kit.

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I realize that, but there are no options to buy the mishimoto housing alone, I would have to buy a whole new kit.
That’s why you always call the company and they can sell parts individually

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's unfortunately how things work when you switch cars. If Mishimoto won't sell the housing on its own, buy a new MAF sensor and put the stock airbox back on. Sell the intake and buy a new setup thats right for your car.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
@hobby-man is right. Sell the non-Si Mishimoto intakeand buy the one that is for the Si. For sure there will be someone who’ll buy that from you.

Sometimes we think that we’re saving a little bit by doing this kind of stuff to the car and we end up paying more for our own error.
Sponsored