Will a Aftermarket Exhaust give my CTR issues?

ChonkersAnonymous

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Just as the title says. By having an aftermarket exhaust affect my CTR? or give me any engine lights? Reason why is because im looking into getting a Tomei Type-D exhaust. Just the exhaust, no dp or fp.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nope. Only swapping the downpipe will cause CELs. Most parts can be installed on a Type R without causing any issues or CELs, but you won't get anything out of them power-wise without a tune.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No issues even with a DP if you install a defouler.

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just as the title says. By having an aftermarket exhaust affect my CTR? or give me any engine lights? Reason why is because im looking into getting a Tomei Type-D exhaust. Just the exhaust, no dp or fp.
Late so you probably already switched it out or not, but I have the same exhaust. Not many people run Tomei. I had no issues. I’m actually FBO with hondata w/ a tune and I’m fine.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
The only downside is that you will lose bottom end torque since it has less back pressure. Can be compensated with a tune.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The only downside is that you will lose bottom end torque since it has less back pressure. Can be compensated with a tune.
Is this specific to the Tomei? When I swapped over to the Borla I actually felt more low-to-midrange torque. This was all without a tune.

typebeat.mp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R - SGP
Country flag
This is probably a super noob question, but will an AWE Touring exhaust cause any problems? Does it require swapping the downpipe?

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Is this specific to the Tomei? When I swapped over to the Borla I actually felt more low-to-midrange torque. This was all without a tune.
borla may give you back pressure when you using their sound plates. Just like the Boostlogic I got, it closed valved when no boost so I don't feel any loss of low end torque but it opens as I need more flow.

it's really depends on how the exhaust is setup on the airflow.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
borla may give you back pressure when you using their sound plates. Just like the Boostlogic I got, it closed valved when no boost so I don't feel any loss of low end torque but it opens as I need more flow.

it's really depends on how the exhaust is setup on the airflow.
For the Borla the plate only covers the center exhaust tip (so one of 3 are covered) which is hooked up to the resonator if I'm not mistaken. It might cause some backpressure, though Borla did show that the plate itself doesn't change power characteristics of the car.

To note, I am running it with the full plate on for the quietest setting. I will also note that I never actually compared power delivery on my own with the different plates.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
For the Borla the plate only covers the center exhaust tip (so one of 3 are covered) which is hooked up to the resonator if I'm not mistaken. It might cause some backpressure, though Borla did show that the plate itself doesn't change power characteristics of the car.

To note, I am running it with the full plate on for the quietest setting. I will also note that I never actually compared power delivery on my own with the different plates.
As what I learn the low end back pressure is completing usless if you want to make higher power.
OEM setup the pipe to restrict the air flow to an extend that give you low end torque with pressure so it suits daily local drive.
As long as the exhaust has minimum restriction on air flow it will lose the back pressure but you won't have power restriction as the OEM has.

Some aftermarket exhaust also has air restriction similar to OEM spec but with better sound or larger exhaust tip, therefore, it can still provide the low end torque.

It's more about how they design the exhaust not so much about the sound or the pipe size.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
It will make the cabin a bit "buzzy" with the windows up at certain RPM. This is almost unavoidable with any setup. I have one of the least droney and more "refined" sounding exhausts and even it can buzz a little bit at certain RPM.

Not a big deal but something to consider if you didn't know. I like to drive with the front windows slightly down as much as possible so only really notice when the weather gets cold (windows up) and the stereo isn't on too loud.
Sponsored