Widest tire on stock 18s?

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Along the lines of a diff post about 265s, anyone mount 245s on stock sport hatch 18in wheels? I want to go a bit wider when I replace tires, mostly to reduce curb rash. I've never had so many curb hits but that stretch look I think is to blame. Wider proper width rubber should alleviate it. Any pics by anyone?

Thnx
Sponsored

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Along the lines of a diff post about 265s, anyone mount 245s on stock sport hatch 18in wheels? I want to go a bit wider when I replace tires, mostly to reduce curb rash. I've never had so many curb hits but that stretch look I think is to blame. Wider proper width rubber should alleviate it. Any pics by anyone?

Thnx
Plenty of people have put 245/40/18 on but that makes the tire slightly taller. 265/35 would be the next closest height but it seems like it might be too wide from what others are saying

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
According to the tire calculator. Installing a 245/40-18 will increase the actual speed vs the indicated speed on the speedometer by about 1 mph at 65 mph. I ran a GPS based speedometer app on my cellphone, and it indicated that my speedometer reads about 1.5 mph faster than I was actually going. So putting 245s on my Si would actually bring my indicated speed closer to my actual speed.

OP
OP

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I'm thinking of 245/35s... I believe the contis come in that size and very close rolling diameter to the235/40s.
Was hoping someone has a picture. I don't like the stretch look and curb rash it causes.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
245s for sure; 255s may fit. Check manufacturers' specs for recommended wheel width for their tires.

I'm planning on 245/40 after my current set is done. Doesn't hurt to have a little more sidewall meat when driving over bridge joints and pavement cracks.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
According to the tire calculator. Installing a 245/40-18 will increase the actual speed vs the indicated speed on the speedometer by about 1 mph at 65 mph. I ran a GPS based speedometer app on my cellphone, and it indicated that my speedometer reads about 1.5 mph faster than I was actually going. So putting 245s on my Si would actually bring my indicated speed closer to my actual speed.
Did you actually go with the 245/40-18? And if you did, did you do another gps measurement reading? I’m thinking of putting on the same size on my Si when I put on the summer tire soon.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Still running the stock tires, they haven't worn out yet at 35,000 miles.

I'm having second thoughts about putting 245s on because the extra width would lower my gas mileage. On the other hand, like BarracksSi said, "Doesn't hurt to have a little more sidewall meat when driving over bridge joints and pavement cracks."

By the way they're wearing, I still have another 20.000 miles before I have to make a decision.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Still running the stock tires, they haven't worn out yet at 35,000 miles.

I'm having second thoughts about putting 245s on because the extra width would lower my gas mileage. On the other hand, like BarracksSi said, "Doesn't hurt to have a little more sidewall meat when driving over bridge joints and pavement cracks."

By the way they're wearing, I still have another 20.000 miles before I have to make a decision.
Super fast reply to a stale discussion. Thanks man! Made the right decision to get into the Si family, you people are great. Anyhow, I’m really thinking about going for the 245s. The gas mileage shouldn’t suffer much if at all. I’m averaging mid to high 30s in the city, so any drop should be small and easily absorbed. There’s just something anemic looking with the 235 stock tire, especially from behind, and think a bump to 245 could fix that. Then again, it could be the all season rubber giving them that small illusion, and summer rubber could look wider. 245s would also fill out the wheel well a smidge. I’m looking to change the tires over to summer after I get my first oil change, and sell the Goodyear a/s. It’ll take me at least 4 years to climb to 50000 miles at my rate before I need new tires, so changing them sooner rather than later makes most sense for me

Last edited:

Kmal1

First Name
Kamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Country flag
245s for sure; 255s may fit. Check manufacturers' specs for recommended wheel width for their tires.

I'm planning on 245/40 after my current set is done. Doesn't hurt to have a little more sidewall meat when driving over bridge joints and pavement cracks.
How’s the ride quality for y’all?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How’s the ride quality for y’all?
Still the same 235/40s for me, so I can't say yet if a different size would help. But I still wince when crossing some bridge joints, and I also still notice that my winter set of 215/55s on 16" steelies is more plush-feeling.

Kmal1

First Name
Kamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Country flag
Still the same 235/40s for me, so I can't say yet if a different size would help. But I still wince when crossing some bridge joints, and I also still notice that my winter set of 215/55s on 16" steelies is more plush-feeling.
Nice. I’m looking for more comfort and filling out the wheel well some more. For all season tires do you think that would be a good idea with the ratio you mentioned?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice. I’m looking for more comfort and filling out the wheel well some more. For all season tires do you think that would be a good idea with the ratio you mentioned?
By "filling out the wheel well", you're talking about tire width, right? Because going with a larger-circumference tire will start to mess with your speedometer.

If I went with 16" wheels for more comfort, I'd get 16x7.5 (widest that Tire Rack lists, and their recommendations are safe) and use maybe a 225-width tire (235s are hard to find for 16") in a 50 or 55 profile.

Use this if you haven't yet: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Sponsored