Wicker bill on rear wing for more downforce?

axios77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Evo 9 MR came with vortex generators and a wicker bill on the rear wing to generate additional downforce. My assumption is the Type R is generating enough downforce that Honda didn't put one on it. Looking forward to see if aftermarket will create one for those wanting additional downforce for the track.
Sponsored

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
PW:JDM quality is so-so. I have their intake, wire cover, and airbag delete on my EK. The intake has some gaps in the weave sealed by the gelcoat but otherwise is fine. The wire cover was twisted around the long axis and has to be bolted down just so in order to lay flat, I got a much better carbon wire cover from Noname eBay brand - so much nicer that it's the one on the valve cover I framed on the wall of my office. The airbag delete was warped to the point that the center doesn't lay tightly against the dash even after I thinned the ends. Also, the carbon is inconsistent and not very shiny (but isn't "dry weave" either). It's not bad stuff, I'd just be reluctant to spend $250 for.... that. From them. Just FYI.

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Would be good to see some data that shows functionality.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
PW:JDM quality is so-so. I have their intake, wire cover, and airbag delete on my EK. The intake has some gaps in the weave sealed by the gelcoat but otherwise is fine. The wire cover was twisted around the long axis and has to be bolted down just so in order to lay flat, I got a much better carbon wire cover from Noname eBay brand - so much nicer that it's the one on the valve cover I framed on the wall of my office. The airbag delete was warped to the point that the center doesn't lay tightly against the dash even after I thinned the ends. Also, the carbon is inconsistent and not very shiny (but isn't "dry weave" either). It's not bad stuff, I'd just be reluctant to spend $250 for.... that. From them. Just FYI.
i saw it in person and there's some porosity on the edges. May not be a big deal for most people, but me seeing aerospace composite parts for over 10 years, those little stuff bother me. Probably just OCD. That said, these types of parts don't necessarily need to look perfect(although i would expect it for the advertised cost) I would even be interested in a cheaper plastic part, but CF fad still exists. I also think the price is quite high. I too think it'll be nice to get some data. i was just actually thinking if they provided data, us consumers may justify the price. But, i highly doubt they'll provide it or thorough data. "researched resulted in 10lbs of down force" doesn't cut it. :dunno:

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...but CF fad still exists...
I guess I'm a scene kid, because I will always love the look of carbon, and I think it'll stick around longer than dimple die parts. Or maybe I'm stuck in the 2000s... In any case, yes, I get that carbon fiber is a unique material but $250 for a part that has a fold and two contours, the gelcoat better be a freakin' mile thick and gorgeously perfect.

This guy made a gurney flap for the Type R DC2 wing, and I'm so in love with it I almost bought it for an Integra I had no definite plans to buy. If he, or anyone, makes a similar gurney flap for the Type R, I'm getting one even if it spoils all of the downforce. It looks so good....

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
i guess i shouldn't use the word "fad" since i may be outnumbered..lol. Don't get me wrong, carbon looks cool and is always around. But true usage of carbon is usually covered or painted over. 90% stuff you see are for looks or maybe that bling bling factor. That's why carbon look wraps or faux parts are successful. Based on that, companies can really mark up for simply 1 layer of carbon that's on the outside and the rest, cheap sprayed/chopped fiberglass.

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Can you notice any difference when driving? If it does make more downforce then you would see decrease in mpg

Last edited:

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Wickerbills/gurney flaps typically help more in high angle of attack situations. The CTR's wing is not angled enough to really take advantage.

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I know downforce is not needed for fwd, but do yall think wing from Evasaive is more functional being more curvy compared to this add on gurney flap?

Honda Civic 10th gen Wicker bill on rear wing for more downforce? Screenshot_20180727-185012

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
from what i read, you dont need anything over an inch to make it functional.. but then again.. i got it because i just want to look a bit different.
I like the look, too. I expected the market to have a pretty good selection of this type of part as soon as the car hit the ground, having seen how many options there are for the STi and EVO

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I like the extended look also, just not the full price of the wing. lol
Sponsored