First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know the time and mileage that honda and most other companies give for changing the brake fluid so I'm not sure why the maintenance minder is saying for me to change it with only 18,000 miles on it and I have only had the car 2 years last month.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
On mine, it popped up near the 3 year mark from the date of manufacture. My guess is your manufacture date will also nearing 3 years by the time your next MM oil change is due. Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years at a minimum.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On mine, it popped up near the 3 year mark from the date of manufacture. My guess is your manufacture date will also nearing 3 years by the time your next MM oil change is due. Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years at a minimum.
I gotta keep it changed to keep my hondacare warrant intact, I'm just not thrilled about having to change it so soon, as you can see it's only been 2 years and I barely have driven it this year.
I haven't checked the manufacture date on it yet,but if you remember, I got it very late in 2018.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I was saying, with it being a coupe , it was probably made in late 2017. Eh, first thing in gonna do is go out and check it to see how it looks. It says 15% dov the way I'm driving or rather not driving it now, it'll be a while till I would have to have it done for the warranty to stay intact. Looks like we are closing down again soon here in De again anyway for to covid 19 issues again. :(

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
I know the time and mileage that honda and most other companies give for changing the brake fluid so I'm not sure why the maintenance minder is saying for me to change it with only 18,000 miles on it and I have only had the car 2 years last month.
brake flush is usually 3 years on the mm. Honda says should be flushed to eliminate the moisture in the lines i believe.(i forget the specifics)

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
brake flush is usually 3 years on the mm. Honda says should be flushed to eliminate the moisture in the lines i believe.(i forget the specifics)
That's why I wondered why it was popping up after only 2 years, but as gtman pointed out, it may be 3 years from the date of manufacture.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Brake fluid absorbs water, even in a "sealed" system like our vehicles. The change interval is set by manufacturer, and Honda believes that 3 years is the time that the water content is close to maximum for their system.

Water in the fluid causes the boiling point to be lowered, which causes a reduction in volume when the fluid gets hot (some of the fluid changes from a fluid into a compressible gas), which causes a spongy brake feel, which will eventually lead to a reduction in stopping power.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eh, scratch that theory,it was made in 6/2018, so that only puts it at 2 1/2 years. Guess that's close enough to trigger it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It will pop up during the last OCI which according to the MM would end before the 3 years pass, while the next one might end after 3 years. So it can pop up even at barely over 2 years, because it's the oil change time that counts. All maintenance service is supposed to be done at oil change time, if following the MM.
So my code 7 popped up at least as early as February this year, which was 2 1/3 years after manufactured.
Sponsored