Why not a Mazda3 Hatchback GT?

Randallel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Lunar SIlver
Isn't the next gen Mazda3 coming out in 2018? I would wait then to decide. Plus if you still want the Civic HB, it'll be cheaper then. Pretty sure Honda is addressing the infotainment system for 2018, probably will get the same one as the new 2017 CRV. Also, Honda is going away from Lane Watch, and using the more traditional BSM (could be another feature that will be added). This is all speculation, but most likely going to happen.
Sponsored

Randallel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Lunar SIlver
The price of the Mazda3 Sport GT and Civic Hatch Sport Touring in Canada still has a bit difference, especially Mazda offers a same price for a AT or MT on the GT trim - i.e. CAD $ 25,000 you can get an AT Mazda 3 Sport GT, which is already a highest trim of the Mazda3 line up (make it fair to compare to the Civic - add a premium package ($ 2,900) make it equip a leather seat and navi = $ 27,900); while the Civic Hatch Sport Touring selling at CAD $ 30,690. Therefore, I am still comparing the Mazda 3 Sport GT and a Civic Hatch Touring. I still have time anyway because the CVT version of the Touring need to wait till next year.

However, I just want to know one thing. Where is the Mazda 3 GT make now? - I know that they made in Japan before and I know that the GX and GS are Mexico now.
Mazda3's are still being made in Japan, but yes Mazda is transitioning manufacturing to Mexico. I've heard bad things about fit and finish of the Mexican 3's. Reason why I couldn't pull the trigger on a Golf, since it's made in Mexico (dumb reason but I'm paranoid).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Not such a dumb reason. I've heard the same thing and I'm hesistant to buy a made in Mexico vehicle. Looking at the Honda Fit forums, the Mexican built Fits were apparently terrible. Then again, I wish our Civics were still imported from Japan. All three of my Honda cars wers built in Japan and were rock solid.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Even if you forget that it's Mexico, any new factory is gonna have a lot of bugs to work out, plus you are employing brand new workers.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
The Mazda was on my short list, but it was more expensive by far and the engines are very weak like every Mazda that is on the market. They just don't seem to care to keep up with decent straight line performance, and add to that the fact that it gets 10mpg worse fuel economy in the real world and my choice was made pretty quickly.

DBlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic SE
Not such a dumb reason. I've heard the same thing and I'm hesistant to buy a made in Mexico vehicle. Looking at the Honda Fit forums, the Mexican built Fits were apparently terrible. Then again, I wish our Civics were still imported from Japan. All three of my Honda cars wers built in Japan and were rock solid.
Well, the Civic HB come from UK :thumbsup: (Is the UK better than Japan? - At least UK made can consider as an European car :spaz:)

DBlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic SE
Mazda3's are still being made in Japan, but yes Mazda is transitioning manufacturing to Mexico. I've heard bad things about fit and finish of the Mexican 3's. Reason why I couldn't pull the trigger on a Golf, since it's made in Mexico (dumb reason but I'm paranoid).
so the 2017 GT are still in Japan?

Then I will recommend people to get a GT rather to get the other two trims if they really want to buy a Mazda 3. GX and GS are Mexico for sure - My roommate get a 2016 GS and it come from Mexico ......

Tuishimi

Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, Rally Red, 6 spd manual
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to consider is what will the new administration (US only) do regarding import taxes?

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
When I took a look at my options, of course I considered the Mazda 3 HB.

My reasons:
1. The interior felt cramped and too "busy." I also felt it was extremely uninspired from how similar it was to my 328..but with cheaper materials. As opposed to the Civic, which felt more streamlined and airy.
2. Android auto
3. The mazda 3 looks like what a middle aged man would call cool and sporty. To me it looked like a snooze fest from the front, and something was just ..off in the rear.
4. The basic 2.0L engine is uninspiring at best

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
When I took a look at my options, of course I considered the Mazda 3 HB.

My reasons:
1. The interior felt cramped and too "busy." I also felt it was extremely uninspired from how similar it was to my 328..but with cheaper materials. As opposed to the Civic, which felt more streamlined and airy.
2. Android auto
3. The mazda 3 looks like what a middle aged man would call cool and sporty. To me it looked like a snooze fest from the front, and something was just ..off in the rear.
4. The basic 2.0L engine is uninspiring at best
Agree on all points - the next Mazda3 will be impressive though, the way they are going.

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
Agree on all points - the next Mazda3 will be impressive though, the way they are going.
For sure, Mazda should be selling WAY better than they are in Canada. It's a better bang for buck economy car.

R&Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R & 2018 Honda Civic CVT LX Hatch
Country flag
Bring this topic back up! In the same boat of looking into a Civic or Mazda 3. Read all the comment but got a few questions and comments. Before I started, just a little back ground on what I had/have and the reason why I am looking into a another car. Owned a 02 Accord Ex-L V6, then 2012 VW GTI. And now I own a 2016 Golf R and 01 Civic Dx. I use the 01 Civic for Winter and transport my dog to the park and daycare. But now the Civic is showing its age and the lack of Air-cond and automatic window and other reason, makes it tough for the summer & spring coming. So I decide to purchase another vehicle. You might ask why not just drive the Golf R. Many reasons like; don't want to rack up the km on the car, my dogs goes to park where there is a lake, and wet dog smell and other millions things. :) So I am pretty set of getting a new vehicle or relatively used one.

I have read all the comment is comparing 2.5 and the 1.5T Sedan/Hatch Version. I am more less concern about price. And Price is the #1 factor for me this time. looking to spend around $22.5 to $23K CAD Max. So I only have a choice of Mazda 3 GX or Civic Sedan LX. Priced those out online, they are about 23 to 24K. So the milage is similar. Would you consider the Mazda 3 then? This way I can "afford" a Hatchback, or the Civic is still the clear choice.

Second, since now comparing the 2.0 engines on both, would you like to get a 6 speed auto or CVT (must be auto, wife's take the dog sometimes). Me personally like the fact is conventional auto vs CVT. But I understand that CVT had came a long way.

At the end, just want to hear you guys opinion if you guys only have a choice of GX/GS Mazda 3 or 2.0 Civic Sedan.

PS: some might say you should just pay up extra $4 to $5k to get a HatchCivic LX. Again, I set a budget and want to stick to it. $5000 out of my budget of ~$23K is over 20%. I am not buying a 911 Turbo, where $5000 is like 2.5% of the price.

Oh, and I am going to assume there is some bias here :) hehe no worries tho.

Thanks in advance. :) Cheers

Last edited:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
How big is the dog? No way would I get a sedan with a big wet dog ...
How long will you keep the car? Civic residuals are often better than Mazda residuals.

If I (again) had a dog and a target budget, then I would get something that nobody wants anymore that is coming off a four-year lease. Such a vehicle would have lost a huge amount of value but would otherwise be a good car - for example - just an example, not a recommendation - a Scion xB.

R&Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R & 2018 Honda Civic CVT LX Hatch
Country flag
How big is the dog? No way would I get a sedan with a big wet dog ...
How long will you keep the car? Civic residuals are often better than Mazda residuals.

If I (again) had a dog and a target budget, then I would get something that nobody wants anymore that is coming off a four-year lease. Such a vehicle would have lost a huge amount of value but would otherwise be a good car - for example - just an example, not a recommendation - a Scion xB.
Thanks for the post :), My dog is a GoldenDoodle that weight about 90 pounds. And I do plan on keeping the car for good 5 to 7 years. As for something coming off lease or buying used, I did look into this route, but then another questions comes up, if I do say buy a XB, there is no more warranty and I might not get 0% or low financing and of course, the outdated tech and look is also a turn down (xB lol )

I did look at used Mazda 3 (2014), there is not much around but they are still going for around $16k to 18k. As for buying a used Civic, I honestly hate the Gen 9 looks and Gen X is only out since 2016, so its pretty limited to find a used one. I also look at 2015 Impreza Hatchback, but they are like $23 to $25k used give or take. So like mention, I don't mind going used.

I personally think if I can get brand new 3 or Civic for around $22k. Thats is not bad consider use is about 16 to 18K, this way I am the first owner, and the new civic is hands down a lot better then the old one. And even the 2017 3 with the g-vetocing and some update that is better than 2014/15/16

Again, nothing is set in stone yet. Still going to take my time to shop around, test drive this and that. :)
Sponsored