Why no true ram air intakes?

R4y30n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I used to own a Mk 6 GTI and from the factory it had the filter box sealed to a port above the radiator allowing it to get true ram air from the front of the car. It looks like the Type R has a similar system that channels air over the radiator into the filter box while the Si has kind of a hybrid setup with a vent in front of the radiator to the engine bay but a filter box that is not sealed to it, leaving about a 2-inch gap.

My question is why have no aftermarket intakes used this approach? It would avoid hydro lock, keep plumbing short and still have ambient temp air hitting the filter (perhaps at a slight positive pressure).

Example from a Mk 7, notice how it pulls from that channel across the top of the radiator:
Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? VWR-R600-Golf-7R-4.j
Sponsored

OP
OP

R4y30n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That's not a Golf R, it's an ordinary GTI that was around 25k new (The R logo is RacingLine's thing). Even the base TSI has this intake setup.

civichero1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
a company on insta gram sells a ture ram intake but it mount in one of your fog light openings

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
a company on insta gram sells a ture ram intake but it mount in one of your fog light openings
I've seen it on FKX's insta. It's not entirely clear to me how it all fits together, but regardless pulling from the fog light wouldn't do much for the whole hydrolock thing. I'm curious about the OP's question too.

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Many high performance vehicles such as hellcat, demon, 911 are all factory r air. Chances for hydrolock with air filter inside engine bay is very low, while chance to hydrolock is very high if the air filter is inside the bumper

Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? 17FF9E24-337E-4B70-8A2B-9EE283609B1D
Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? 7B8A5F77-7526-4F00-944C-969FC1A5BF6A
Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? 89010098-AE1F-4FB7-9A83-5B4C9BE1AEBC
Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? 978A3C5B-F2B4-4492-90DE-FB703D7E8394

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
The vent on the top of the CTR hood isn't to cool the radiator or for intake, but to cool the active suspension controller.

Forced induction motors get basically zero benefit from ram or "cold" air. From what I've seen, maybe 3hp from one brand of the cold air options because the tubing was insulated from the motor, reducing actual intake air temperature. Most options the engine heat negates any benefit.

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
does it work?
ofcourse it works... ram air been around since the 50's

almost all sports bike are ram air now.... and hell cat, porsche 911, z06 etc.... are all factory ram air..

"The track-only variant is called Ninja H2R and produces maximum of 310 horsepower (230 kW) and 326 horsepower (243 kW) with ram air"

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_H2

you can find factory specification just by google kawasaki h2 ram air or h2r ram air... you will find the hp difference between standard and ram air...

Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? eg ram air 1
Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? eg ram air

OP
OP

R4y30n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The concept of ram air was discovered in WWII on aircraft. Spitfires and Mustangs gained maybe 50-100 hp at top speed due to ram air.

Here's a link that relates to cars, though: https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/high-speed-engine-tuning-factoring-ram-air/

Obviously most of us will not drive fast enough to see any real gains from the pressure at the front of the car when using such an intake but it's still the best way to keep intake air temp down.

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
The concept of ram air was discovered in WWII on aircraft. Spitfires and Mustangs gained maybe 50-100 hp at top speed due to ram air.

Here's a link that relates to cars, though: https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/high-speed-engine-tuning-factoring-ram-air/

Obviously most of us will not drive fast enough to see any real gains from the pressure at the front of the car when using such an intake but it's still the best way to keep intake air temp down.

That’s not entirely true, all you need is ride a bike with no helmet from 40-80mph...

That air slap on your face is force fed ram air effect.... it’s a lot of pressure

If no bike ? Just put your hand out of the window..

Regardless, the best way is to try it your self if this is a new information for you.

It’s also why most of the people that buys ram air from me are ex-domestic guys or ex-rock crowlers that are very familiar with the set up

Honda Civic 10th gen Why no true ram air intakes? CD8696F3-EF5D-4062-85AE-54484EFDCDB3

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The vent on the top of the CTR hood isn't to cool the radiator or for intake, but to cool the active suspension controller.

Forced induction motors get basically zero benefit from ram or "cold" air. From what I've seen, maybe 3hp from one brand of the cold air options because the tubing was insulated from the motor, reducing actual intake air temperature. Most options the engine heat negates any benefit.
I believe that they're referring to the intake on the Type R, which appears to have a sealed channel pulling air from the hood. Not sure if this comes from the scoop or some other vent, but if you Google it, you'll see what I mean.
Sponsored