Why new wheels when buying winter tires?

Gadifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
Hello all. I'm a novice at wheels and tires. I'm considering buying snow tires as the season approaches. In the threads I've looked at people seem to be buying new wheels as well as tires. Can someone explain why?

Thanks,

Marc
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hello all. I'm a novice at wheels and tires. I'm considering buying snow tires as the season approaches. In the threads I've looked at people seem to be buying new wheels as well as tires. Can someone explain why?

Thanks,

Marc
Because I dont want my machined finish wheels with black inserts to get damaged, corroded or suffer from pitting during the winter season.

Also, its easier to swap over the set of wheels everytime I change rather than to remount tires onto one set of wheels

OP
OP
Gadifer

Gadifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
Because I dont want my machined finish wheels with black inserts to get damaged, corroded or suffer from pitting during the winter season.

Also, its easier to swap over the set of wheels everytime I change rather than to remount tires onto one set of wheels
Thanks. What are the different considerations you take into account, other than aesthetics, when choosing wheels?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Lol cost. Im using Lx OEM steelies with hubcaps because Im a poor bitch

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
On my other cars, I prefer steelies without the hubcaps. It looks better in my opinion.
Ehhh the guy who sold me the wheels on Craigslist took em off his LX after 200kms so hubcaps were included. For winter, it's all about cost, fitment. I bought OEM steelies knowing they would fit and that I wouldn't have to deal with measuring. If they rust, fuck it, I'll paint over them. EZ

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
the tires for the 17 wheels are expensive. I can get 16 or 15" wheels AND tires for the price of just the tires for the 17 wheels.

(in the winter I dont care what the wheels look like)

they have many options under $100 per wheel at tire rack.

I also rotate the tires when switching back and forth with summer/winter wheels and its cake to do because you only do one wheel at a time. I put a label on the tires as I remove them to indicate where they go on the next swap

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I also want to point out that every single shop I've ever taken my car to has left circular, thin scratches around the perfect edge of the rim's face.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I also want to point out that every single shop I've ever taken my car to has left circular, thin scratches around the perfect edge of the rim's face.
Why don't you do it yourself instead?

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Why don't you do it yourself instead?
I live in an apartment high rise in the middle of downtown Milwaukee with an underground parking garage spot- no place to do that. Nor do I trust myself to swap wheels.

Own what you're good at, acknowledge what you're not good at.

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to purchase brand new still wheels for my winter set, but I was able to find a set of 2004 Acura TL wheels on Craigslist for $100. I filled in the curbrash and scratches and painted them grey. With tires, I'm at about the same cost all-in as if I bought steelies and 16" tires, but I have an alloy that's Honda/Acura, and I have the pride in refinishing and painting them myself. Just my $.02

dannyo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 5MT
Ease as people mention. I have my tires remounted on the same wheels because I'm planning on getting a new car, and the cost of doing it 2 more times is less than the cost of new wheels!

For your winters go with steel wheels, they're cheaper and more weight is useful for traction.
Sponsored