Why is there no Civic Hatchback / Civic Hatchback Sport section?

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I feel like you either own a Type R or an Si and that are your choices here. The Civic Hatchback/Hatchback Sport should have it's own section too. It shares very little with the Type R and Si, but it is just enough different from the regular sedans and coupes that it needs it's own section. And yes, most of us wish they made a Civic Hatchback SiR.......... but until then, the Sport model will have to make do. The team that created the Type R is also the team who tuned all of the other Hatchbacks, and they set out with much different goals. I feel like most Hatchback owners are not sedan or coupe owners, and far too practical and cheap to own a Type R ......they are a different breed. Kind of like how you see that old guy in your neighborhood who has owned a 5 door Forester for his entire life and will never buy anything else. Yeah you know who he is, bike rack, skis, runs, puts his dog in the car, hauls cinder blocks and bags of mulch around, and slaloms the corners hard when nobody is looking. He is far too utilitarian and sporty to need anything too flashy or luxury based.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's already silly to have separate boards for Type R and Si (this is what thread tags are for...) and you want to fragment the community even more? What do hatch owners even have to talk about that sedan and coupe owners don't, other than having a hatch instead of a trunk?

Pineapple

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hatch LX (FK7) 2012 Civic LX
Country flag
It's already silly to have separate boards for Type R and Si (this is what thread tags are for...) and you want to fragment the community even more? What do hatch owners even have to talk about that sedan and coupe owners don't, other than having a hatch instead of a trunk?
Because hatches are more utilitarian, more practical, they all come with the 1.5t, and have a different customer in mind, different than sedan, coupes, SI's, and Type R's. I think we all just get grouped in in with every other 10th gen in this forum, and the hatchback specific posts get lost in the mix. I'm in for a hatchback specific area on this forum.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You absolutely nailed it. Great post.

I guess technically we could have separate sedan, hatchback, coupe, 2.0, 1.5T, manual, automatic, forums by car color, etc... etc...

None of which makes sense and like you said, fragments the community.

OP
OP

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I definitely want to segment it as much as possible.
I know a Type R has very very little in common with a Sport, or any other Civic at all, it should have it's own section.
I know a Si has very little in common with a Hatchback Sport/LX/EX/EX-T/4door Sport/Type R, it should have it's own section.
The parts for Hatches are tending to be different than similar to sedans/coupes.
The design for a Hatchback is more towards Asian/European driving, it was tuned in Europe. Honda themselves had 2 different groups to develop the 10th gen chassis, the Hatchbacks were the Japanese group, and the 2door/4door were I believe an American group. Honda segmented it's own development. Yes they have to share the same Honda dna, but even Honda knows Hatchback people require something different.

I very intentionally bought a Hatchback because of what it represents. Just like a coupe owner would (and they are a dying breed).
I have only ever owned 3 door or 5 door Civic/CRX's. Coupes and sedans do almost nothing for me.
The best Civics that Honda has had to offer are 3 door or 5 door. In fact, the original Si is a 1985 3 door CRX Si. It was so popular that it then created the Civic Hatchback Si the next year. Hatchbacks appear to be the lead chassis, from crazy 55mpg to fastest front wheel drive car on the world's racetrack.

Even if in my opinion, is that Hatchback people are different, and the popular opinion is that the vehicle itself isn't that different. It would still be nice to have it's own section for the like minded Hatchback people. What could it really hurt? If you don't like it, just don't click on it. Every board needs a section where the weirdos can hang out together. Hatchbacks are the Rush of the car world..... fashionably pushing back, just going for their own sound.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I know a Type R has very very little in common with a Sport, or any other Civic at all, it should have it's own section.
I know a Si has very little in common with a Hatchback Sport/LX/EX/EX-T/4door Sport/Type R, it should have it's own section.
The parts for Hatches are tending to be different than similar to sedans/coupes.
The design for a Hatchback is more towards Asian/European driving, it was tuned in Europe. Honda themselves had 2 different groups to develop the 10th gen chassis, the Hatchbacks were the Japanese group, and the 2door/4door were I believe an American group. Honda segmented it's own development. Yes they have to share the same Honda dna, but even Honda knows Hatchback people require something different.

I very intentionally bought a Hatchback because of what it represents. Just like a coupe owner would (and they are a dying breed).
I have only ever owned 3 door or 5 door Civic/CRX's. Coupes and sedans do almost nothing for me.
The best Civics that Honda has had to offer are 3 door or 5 door. In fact, the original Si is a 1985 3 door CRX Si. It was so popular that it then created the Civic Hatchback Si the next year. Hatchbacks appear to be the lead chassis, from crazy 55mpg to fastest front wheel drive car on the world's racetrack.

Even if in my opinion, is that Hatchback people are different, and the popular opinion is that the vehicle itself isn't that different. It would still be nice to have it's own section for the like minded Hatchback people. What could it really hurt? If you don't like it, just don't click on it. Every board needs a section where the weirdos can hang out together. Hatchbacks are the Rush of the car world..... fashionably pushing back, just going for their own sound.
You have way too much time on your hands man.

Having run my own car forum for nearly 20 years, I can tell you the setup here is very good. The idea is to organize in a way that makes the most sense without fragmenting things too much.

The base hatches (non-R) aren't different enough mechanically to separate them from other 1.5T 10th gens. I mean you could, but it would be very difficult at this point for the admin here to go into all existing hatchback owner posts/topics and move and reorganize them into a new set of forums. It just isn't feasible if you ask me as a forum owner/admin.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can assure you having a separate Type R section is the best thing since The Blue Lagoon; it Shields the rest of the community from getting bombarded with incessant complaints about the 2nd gear and its big wing. Not to mention the “see my stance without rub!” posts everyday.

OP
OP

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I can assure you having a separate Type R section is the best thing since The Blue Lagoon; it Shields the rest of the community from getting bombarded with incessant complaints about the 2nd gear and its big wing. Not to mention the “see my stance without rub!” posts everyday.
Man do I still remember those Prell commercials with Brooke Shields.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Because hatches are more utilitarian, more practical, they all come with the 1.5t, and have a different customer in mind, different than sedan, coupes, SI's, and Type R's. I think we all just get grouped in in with every other 10th gen in this forum, and the hatchback specific posts get lost in the mix. I'm in for a hatchback specific area on this forum.
And when your condenser fails, Honda won't pay for it cause hatchback.

OP
OP

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
And when your condenser fails, Honda won't pay for it cause hatchback.
Or you've already had your AC compressor and condensor replaced under warranty.

EDIT: for clarity sake. Hatchbacks are made in Swindon England and have different parts sources than the 2 door and 4 door made in America.
The American source wasn't coating the inside of the condensors and they were rotting from the inside out.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Or you've already had your AC compressor and condensor replaced under warranty.

EDIT: for clarity sake. Hatchbacks are made in Swindon England and have different parts sources than the 2 door and 4 door made in America.
The American source wasn't coating the inside of the condensors and they were rotting from the inside out.
Do you mean on sedans they won't replace it twice? I'm skeptical my UK condenser doesn't have the same issue since it failed in the same manner at 70k miles.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Agreed I think Type R and Si should have their own forums just because of all the differences. I'm still unsure whether or not the 2.0s or the CVTs should have their own forums bc I feel like they'd have different and more specific problems than General 10th Gen Discussions but on the other hand it really would fragment everything.

HILNDAR

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe sold. 2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I thinks it’s a fair request to have a sport hatch forum. I picked up a 2020. I’m 54 and have a Subaru Forester too. Lol
I had the 2017 Si coupe and test drove the 2020 Si Sedan. 2020 Hatch sport is an excellent value. As others have stated. If only they had a Hatch Si with a stick, Cvt or better yet, a smg.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think @gtman has it covered in here, but I can't leave without highlighting these:

LOL
Sponsored