typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I know your post is old, but when you say 1.8s 60' is reasonable you're referring to a car on full racing slicks yes?

Just wanted to make sure it was clear. You definitely won't see sub 2.0 on street tires, unless the car is set up specifically for drag and on REALLY aggressive street tires.

My old 2007 turbo spec v, 330whp/300wtq on 245mm dunlop sport maxx rt's (summer street tire) had traction in 1st gear with minimal to no issue. The car had a chromoly steel rear mount which aided traction by a staggering margin. This car went 13.1 @ 108mph w/ 2.0 60'.

The type R stock tires are not drag tires by any standard. They are awful for straight acceleration. You need something with a little more sidewall and a stiffer rear mount.
Yes, I meant slicks.

If you're going to drag race, you should have DOT radials at a minimum or your times don't really mean much since you have next to no chance of hooking up with a street tire and a decent amount of power.
Sponsored

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes, I meant slicks.

If you're going to drag race, you should have DOT radials at a minimum or your times don't really mean much since you have next to no chance of hooking up with a street tire and a decent amount of power.
Debatable tbh. There are people like me who like the idea of racing on street tires because it's the authentic this is my car everyday as I drive it experience. I was pretty happy with 2.0 60's on street tires with my sentra.

I just think it helps to clarify that's all.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I'm no Racer Boy but own and drive a Porsche 996 911 4S and have also driven the kid's Type R(soon to be mine btw...:thumbsup:) and the Type R is NOT slow...IMHO.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Debatable tbh. There are people like me who like the idea of racing on street tires because it's the authentic this is my car everyday as I drive it experience. I was pretty happy with 2.0 60's on street tires with my sentra.

I just think it helps to clarify that's all.
How is this debatable?

To go fast on a drag strip, you need to hook up. Running street tires means you'll never get out of the hole as fast as you could.

If you're happy with your street tires times, good for you.

The truth is, you can't begin to judge the potential of a car on the drag strip until you get it to hook up. With any kind of slick, you'll run .2-.5 faster out of the hole than you can ever run with a street tire.

It's just not debatable when it's a provable fact.

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
It's just not debatable when it's a provable fact.
Let me clarify - I'm not saying street tires vs. slicks being faster is debatable that'd be silly. What I am saying is debatable is the notion that the default assumption is that a driver is on slicks. I've always (and seen in the past as well) that most people ASSUME street tires unless specified.

I'm indicating that the notion that one or the other is the default is debatable. If that makes sense.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The type R stock tires are not drag tires by any standard. They are awful for straight acceleration. You need something with a little more sidewall and a stiffer rear mount.
It was nice to read that. I am looking forward to getting a second set of wheels and tires for autocrossing and track use. I've been worried about autocrossing because of how poorly the stock tires seem to hold power under 50 mph. With the cooler weather (even in FL) I've had to tune 2nd gear down to 255lb/ft to reliably avoid traction control (which seems really aggressive) in sport mode. I was worried that the front-drive platform was the limitation, but it makes much more sense that the stock Contis are just bad for straight line acceleration.

Alexmv420

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Type R
Country flag
0-60 in 5.4 seconds....thats pretty slow...i make it in 6.4 seconds with my base hatch........
I know right cars with way worse power to weight ratio outrun the civic type R. I thought it was because it’s a manual but cars w h less power and even more weight accelerate faster.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
why is this back from the dead,
hondata and simple ecu mods can make this car 350-370hp to the wheels

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I recently had a ~400 hq 135is, Dinan Stage 2 tune. It was fast *to me*. Type R does not feel slow at all whatsoever.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The Type R is a 40K car not a 35K car