Why is stock air intake gasket shaped like this?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is often done to prevent intercooler icing in cold climates. If you live somewhere warm, you can probably remove it. In Iowa, I don't think I would.
Thanks for the explanation! I didn't know that was a thing. Would a FMIC be more prone to icing there vs the oem plastic inlet? Is the inlet side most prone?
Sponsored

OP
OP

pcdangio

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R 2017
Country flag
Thanks for the explanation! I didn't know that was a thing. Would a FMIC be more prone to icing there vs the oem plastic inlet? Is the inlet side most prone?
I need Harrison ford to come save my hijacked thread :)

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I have no idea but I can tell you this much Honda spends millions on the development of every aspect of the cars design. Every millimetre of that car was designed by a group of highly paid engineers that knows more then us. If its there or not there I am sure it is for a reason.

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda can't predict what conditions you will be driving the car in and has to make sacrifices to accomidate all. The gap is in case the front inlet get blocked or clogged with something and you don't end up with a completely closed off intake. It is not uncommon for the inlet at the front to be blocked by ice in cold winter conditions when the car is parked. If that happens, you need to pull air form somewhere else. Similar to the intercooler thing, if you don't ever plan on driving it in cold conditions you could probably seal it off.

OP
OP

pcdangio

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R 2017
Country flag
Honda can't predict what conditions you will be driving the car in and has to make sacrifices to accomidate all. The gap is in case the front inlet get blocked or clogged with something and you don't end up with a completely closed off intake. It is not uncommon for the inlet at the front to be blocked by ice in cold winter conditions when the car is parked. If that happens, you need to pull air form somewhere else. Similar to the intercooler thing, if you don't ever plan on driving it in cold conditions you could probably seal it off.
that makes a lot of sense. In that case I might make a removable piece of stripping that I can put in during the warm months, and see if that helps the IAT at all. Will rest out and report back!

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try figuring out if the air actually gets hott or does the MAF sensor gets heat soaked... ;)
The type R factory airbox is actually very good and pretty good insulated from the hott engine bay air.
On my 1.5T i think the MAF sensor gets heat soaked from the hott engine bay.

Heat soaking while driving is from components being heated from the outside of the airbox.The MAF sensor is on the inside of the airbox where there's air coming in all the time and that should be around ambient air (on a type r) which is cooler then the underhood temps.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That part without the gasket does sit higher. We need someone with a master's in thermaldynamics lol.

Idk think of it like trying to shotgun a beer? If you try to chug with a complete vacuum seal on the can, you will get little flow. Open up a little hole farther up and it flows much more.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I have no idea but I can tell you this much Honda spends millions on the development of every aspect of the cars design. Every millimetre of that car was designed by a group of highly paid engineers that knows more then us. If its there or not there I am sure it is for a reason.
Kinda off the topic........why do we then mod our CTR i.e. lowering it, changing rim size and so on. I know it's for "to be different than the rest" We threw everything out the window that those engineers have done to make the car perform as is by modding it.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Kinda off the topic........why do we then mod our CTR i.e. lowering it, changing rim size and so on. I know it's for "to be different than the rest" We threw everything out the window that those engineers have done to make the car perform as is by modding it.
No.
To the contrary, we are replacing the compromises they released the car with.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
So with our mods, we can beat the time on the Nurburgring lap that the CTR is known for?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Try figuring out if the air actually gets hott or does the MAF sensor gets heat soaked... ;)
The type R factory airbox is actually very good and pretty good insulated from the hott engine bay air.
idk whats hard to understand about this.. it gets hot ambient air if youre not moving.. start driving and air is forced into the intake inlet

OP
OP

pcdangio

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R 2017
Country flag
idk whats hard to understand about this.. it gets hot ambient air if youre not moving.. start driving and air is forced into the intake inlet
I think the problem is that once the engine warms up, the IA2 temp (intake temp) is always higher than the ambient temp. Whether you are moving or not just determines how much hotter (for me typically 10-20degF above while moving and 50-60degF while still). So the question is, where does this extra heat come from? It can only come from two places:

1. The intake is pulling in hot air from the engine compartment

2. The airbox itself starts to heat up from thermal radiation and being surrounded by hot air, and in turn heats up the cool ambient air before it hits the MAF

Based on how quickly air moves and the temps swing, I’m inclined to believe it’s mostly #1. Hence the whole question about why that gasket has an opening on the side
Sponsored