Why is stock air intake gasket shaped like this?

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
So with our mods, we can beat the time on the Nurburgring lap that the CTR is known for?
Given all things equal, yeah, some mods will definitely make the CTR faster on that track. Things like pedestrian safety and emissions dictate those compromises.
Sponsored

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
1. The intake is pulling in hot air from the engine compartment

2. The airbox itself starts to heat up from thermal radiation and being surrounded by hot air, and in turn heats up the cool ambient air before it hits the MAF
My take-

1: at race speeds the box is may be pressurized- wiring a motec pressure sensor to my airbox for testing.. i thought about this previously. Dont disagree that is pulls from engine bay at slow speeds. prolly did that for emissions. Hot AIT = better mpg

2: yes, more than likely has an effect on it. Plastic Does not absorb heat that well. The air absorbed the heat for sure. I assume most of our heat is from the TIP and turbo.. both are very hot and air spends a long time in there heating up at idle.

3: your AIT 2 is in a vacuum most of the time. very slow moving air compared to WOT air speed. Your engine bay is heating up to operation temp the whole time.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Kinda off the topic........why do we then mod our CTR i.e. lowering it, changing rim size and so on. I know it's for "to be different than the rest" We threw everything out the window that those engineers have done to make the car perform as is by modding it.
yup and that is why in general modded cars are worth less. No one will give you jack in trade for mods on a car deal, when it comes to collecting people want unmodded cars and overall modded cars have a shorter life span cause most mods are harder on a car and outside of engineered specs. and yes I mod my cars LOL but I accept the fates.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
So with our mods, we can beat the time on the Nurburgring lap that the CTR is known for?
Depends what your mods are. But yes, you should easily be able to beat the Nurburgring times with some intelligent mods.

Design engineering is about compromises. Lap times are important, for marketing, but they also need to meet a thousand other requirements. From safety, reliability, cost, comfort, utility, manufacturability, serviceability, supply chain, etc.

You can mod your car to your priorities. Whether that is tire durability, looks, horsepower, cornering or anything else. The Honda engineers have different priorities.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Hmmm. I always thought Design Engineers were different for Mechanical Engineers that the Mechanical has to do with the mechanics of the car and its geometry i.e. suspension comes to mind. Too bad I'm not rich where I could have 2 off the showroom CTR. 1 bone stock and the other lightly modded like suspension and tires, where the tires are the same but different size to see how both handle in the ring.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have no idea but I can tell you this much Honda spends millions on the development of every aspect of the cars design. Every millimetre of that car was designed by a group of highly paid engineers that knows more then us. If its there or not there I am sure it is for a reason.
well eveything except the sound system.......sorry for the hijack....

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Lets just say this....Honda has more pride in the seats..than they do anything else with this car. The True Engineers though they knew what they were doing when they made this car. I wouldn't question it....it's pretty close to a FWD platform perfection.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I'm debugging some high IAT2 temps (air intake temperature), and curious why the stock gasket for the intake has this large opening on the right side (see pic attached).

I would think this is bad, as one could imagine a lot of hot air from inside the engine compartment gets sucked in there (red arrow) as opposed to the colder air coming in through the main inlet in front of the radiator (blue arrow).

I'm sure there's a good reason for it that I just haven't imagined... anybody have any thoughts?

072617_NLT_CTR_Intake_WEB_7.jpg
Maybe there is cold air coming up from driver-side vents in front grille/bumper? Also if something happens to block front vent then this is a backup in case.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
well eveything except the sound system.......sorry for the hijack....
LOL well no premium sound system is worth a dang in any car for that matter. thats why the ones that sound half way ok that are put in are designed by audio companies.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Hmmm. I always thought Design Engineers were different for Mechanical Engineers that the Mechanical has to do with the mechanics of the car and its geometry i.e. suspension comes to mind.
It depends, *lol*

I haven't worked in the automotive industry, but I do have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I've worked with various titles in many industries, including 'Design Engineer' and 'Mechanical Engineer'. And sometimes I've done the same things with a DE title as with a ME title.

What words/names/titles and connotations are used are not only industry specific, but often vary from one company (and sometimes even between groups in the same company) to the next.

I used 'Design Engineer' as a generic terms for an engineer who makes design decisions, regardless of if they are do mechanisms (suspension), aerodynamics, manufacturing/tooling, etc. So in the sense I used it, it might be a decision on control arm length and suspension geometry. It might also be someone who makes decisions on grill or wing geometry. Or someone who lays out the instrument cluster.
Sponsored