WHY is Honda KILLING the MANUAL TRANNY (FUN FACTOR) on such a beautiful car?!

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
for awhile now the manual was only available on LX and SI versions (atleast for sedan. possibly ex for coupe if I remember correctly) It makes sense. Nobody buys manuals anymore. Besides "fun factor" theres not really any benefits anymore. CVTs get better MPG, performance versions of automatics shift faster (dual clutches and what not) any people tend to buy vehicles for transportation only.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
Good point, wonder why they didn't offer the manual for the 2.0L EX currently. And wonder if the 6MT will be made an option on the EX once the manual comes out for the turbo models next year.
Honda is a business and they'll do what makes financial sense to sell more cars and make more money. So if it's not available on the EX 2.0L, Honda must think that it wasn't worth it to offer it on the EX (maybe a super low take rate was projected). So I doubt it'll be offered on the EX even later on.

As for why the 6MT manual transmission isn't available on turbo models yet, that's because it's still being developed.

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
for awhile now the manual was only available on LX and SI versions (atleast for sedan. possibly ex for coupe if I remember correctly) It makes sense. Nobody buys manuals anymore. Besides "fun factor" theres not really any benefits anymore. CVTs get better MPG, performance versions of automatics shift faster (dual clutches and what not) any people tend to buy vehicles for transportation only.
This.

I am willing to bet the Civic X is the last generation to have a standard non-performance trim that is offered with a stick shift. It's either all CVT or CVT+DCT after this platform gets retired. The only people actually driving manuals anymore are older (Gen X and older) that learned to drive manual 20+ years ago. "Kids these days" (I know) are growing up driving autos only or at best using paddle shifters. As those people get older they won't be buying manuals and their kids wont either... snowball effect.

Add to that the Civic is an entry level starter type car with a younger demographic and the stick shift looks like it's going the way of the dodo bird.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
This.

I am willing to bet the Civic X is the last generation to have a standard non-performance trim that is offered with a stick shift. It's either all CVT or CVT+DCT after this platform gets retired.
Probably a likely scenario. But the LX is also equipped with manual because it's the lowest entry model and the manual transmission keeps its price as low as possible. So if CVT remains more expensive than manual transmission to equip the car with from a manufacturing standpoint then we may still see the manual in the lowest model available.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
There are quite a few Millennials I know that prefer manual transmissions. Either because they are more engaging or cost less to maintain (or both). I think Honda is well aware that there's a market for it. As long as they keep selling enough to justify production, they'll keep making them.

kidboise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Accord, 1972 Z600
Vehicle Showcase
There are quite a few Millennials I know that prefer manual transmissions. Either because they are more engaging or cost less to maintain (or both). I think Honda is well aware that there's a market for it. As long as they keep selling enough to justify production, they'll keep making them.
Thank you. Millennial here. First car was a manual, but then I drove a '96 Accord with an auto for five years. Loved that car but never came to prefer the auto. When I bought my '03 Accord two years ago, I went out of my way to find a 5MT and I'm not looking back. I'm 26 now, Preparing to buy my first new car ever, and the LX manual is the clear choice for me.

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
Probably a likely scenario. But the LX is also equipped with manual because it's the lowest entry model and the manual transmission keeps its price as low as possible. So if CVT remains more expensive than manual transmission to equip the car with from a manufacturing standpoint then we may still see the manual in the lowest model available.
I forgot where I saw but on this forum someone pointed out the CVT may actually be cheaper or same cost to produce as the manual. Even if it is more, if it is not much more, they could still choose CVT for the entry level model since it gets better fuel economy (which is even more important for the base volume seller), is easiest to drive (which will equal more sales) and means they won't have to do any engineering for the base engine to mate properly to a manual transmission. I hope it doesn't happen but all the ducks are in a row for it to for the next generation civic.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I couldn't agree more. It's just me hoping my car lasts till the Civic comes out, haha.
My 1995 Sc3 showed no signs of quitting or stoppage when I traded it in for the 10th 'vic and I wouldn't want it any other way. Yeah, it meant I had to replace the radiator and alternator and also pay taxes on it but so be it, come what may.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Have over 1600 miles so well past break-in!! Finally flogged it real good today. I just smashed a Big Toyota V8 who was trying to highway race me. Love this CVT, has a lot of top end power.

Last edited:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I taught my two daughters to drive MT and when they were in their teens and twenty's they loved driving stick. Now they're in their 30's with husbands and kids and careers and they all drive auto. No longer interested in driving for fun. Just need something to get the kids to school in. Same with me. I drove stick when I was young but switched to auto in my 30's and 40's. Now I'm 60 and my new civic is ....(drum roll please).....STICK!!!!!

jkeis862

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I would really like to learn how to drive stick as my current 9thgen Civic is Auto. I've been thinking about buying a manual beater to teach myself and have some fun with, it would be nice to keep the miles off of my Civic.
Sponsored