Why I traded in my Civic X Si

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
The wrx still has a nice rumble though. I'm toying with trading my si in for a 2019 wrx limited when they come out

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I test drove the WRX and the WRX STI before I test drove the Civic Si, for me the Civic Si was hands down the better choice, for me. I didn’t like the STI for a couple reasons, the price tag was about $13K more than the Civic Si, you need a different set of wheels to drive it in the winter, the gas mileage sucks, and the ride quality was terrible, that rumble would get old fast. The WRX same story with winter driving, mpg, ride quality and higher price than the Civic Si. When I test drove the Civic Si it was a no brainer, better than the WRX, STI in everything except power. And the Si gets 50 MPG on long trips, unreal.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I should add I own a Suzuki Hayabusa if I need to get my speed fix.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag

mciannelli1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civc SI
Country flag
I traded a 2017 Civic Si for an Accord Sport 2.0T because:

1) The Civic Si got vandalized and repaired - I no longer wanted it after that.

2) I didn't want to trade it for a 2018 Civic Si knowing that the 2019's would probably be coming in a few months - possibly with standard Honda sensing and an updated infotainment system.

Even though the Accord is faster and more pleasurable to drive because it's smoother, quieter, and has more tech, it's not as fun to drive because it's heavier and lacks a limited slip differential. The Accord looks and feels more mature because it is. I'm enjoying the Accord very much, but for different reasons than the Si.

If I were to buy another vehicle in the Civic Si's domain, it would be another Civic Si hands-down instead of a Ford, Subaru, or Volkswagen. Fortunately, the Si's seats and driving position fit me just fine. I never had an issue with clutch travel, feel, or slip. The cost of replacing the adaptive dampers briefly crossed my mind, but I rarely keep a vehicle past the warrant period. The turbocharger was a non-issue for me since I prefer to enjoy a vehicle as it comes from the factory. If I had wanted something faster I would have bought something faster that I didn't have to modify.

The one thing I can throw back is the lack of summer tires. Tires are easy. They'll need to be replaced eventually, anyway. One shouldn't be "stuck" with anything since they aren't "forced" to buy something they don't want. If a dealer "had no clue" about something, you must educate them. Understand that Honda dealers can't order directly from the factory - they can request a swap with another dealer for unshipped orders and can sometimes trade inventory with another dealer who is in agreement. The most likely scenario is that your dealer didn't have any Si's with summer tires on allocation and couldn't find any other dealers to make a trade with, so they pled ignorance.

Enjoy your WRX - life's too short to keep a vehicle you're not happy with! :)
I agree with this post. But everyone and their mother, grandmother and second cousin drives the new accord.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I agree with this post. But everyone and their mother, grandmother and second cousin drives the new accord.
I realize the Civic Si is more exclusive, but Civics in general outsell Accords. The take rate for the 2.0T engine in the Accord is only about 20% making it somewhat exclusive. There aren't many more Accord Sport 2.0T's with automatic transmissions running around than Civic Si's and there are very few Accord Sport 2.0T's with manual transmissions running around.

So, all the other people and their fathers, grandfathers, and third cousins must be driving Civics. :D

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
I used to own a WRX. If you have any warranty issues, get ready to fight. Subaru has a habit of denying warranty claims.

- Document everything. That includes every receipt for all your maintenance work
- Check your oil level religiously
- Subaru Technicians will claim it's normal for every problem you encounter. Trust me, it's not normal and your dealership or SOA just doesn't want to repair the issue.
- If you plan to mod, make sure you have a plan B or else you'll be down $10k+ for a new engine.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I used to own a WRX. If you have any warranty issues, get ready to fight. Subaru has a habit of denying warranty claims.

- Document everything. That includes every receipt for all your maintenance work
- Check your oil level religiously
- Subaru Technicians will claim it's normal for every problem you encounter. Trust me, it's not normal and your dealership or SOA just doesn't want to repair the issue.
- If you plan to mod, make sure you have a plan B or else you'll be down $10k+ for a new engine.
I can also second this from experience with Subaru. I traded my 2016 civic ex-t for a 2018 Subaru last August. While I loved the car, i hated the issues (mostly electrical) and the frequent trips to the dealer. I traded that on a 2018 Si in april and I am so happy with this car.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve always thought the wrx was a cool car...kinda weird looking w an interior from the 90’s to this day but has been infamous in the sport compact world for years...if I wasn’t such a Honda fanboy I’d had one myself by now. Maybe one day. And to each his own man...for us that love this segment of cars, best to drive something you love than not...yolo

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
The wrx was one of my choice when i purchase my SI. To get a similarly equiped Wrx , the price difference was too important. The WRX drink gas like crazy too
Also, the new 2018 WRX seems to be slower that 2015, maybe they added weight or retuned it. I felt the performance difference was not significant to justify the price gap.

babinjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
I really wanted a WRX after driving it, however I chose the Si in the end. The price difference ($6k-7k) and MPG was pretty significant between the two models. I have a 30 Mile commute one way so that is a big deal. The interior of the Si is much more modern and interesting than the WRX. In addition, the “legal road” performance difference between the two was not that great. In fact the Si feels more special behind the wheel. Yes the WRX is way faster in a drag race but I am too old to drag race anyway.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Congrats on your new car. I actually traded in a 16 wrx for the si and the Subaru held up its value as well. I hear the clutch and shift feel improved vastly on the 2018 models. My 16’ wrx had a very numb clutch pedal feel and the clutch grab was very aggressive. Shifter did have some positive feel to it, but did not have the smoothness of the si. I hope the 18’ addressed all of that.
Wonder if the 18 clutch is any stronger than the 17 or if it just “feels” better

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I too was looking at the WRX when getting my Si, but I couldn’t fathom choosing that over the Si because the FA motor is weak, it’s crap. If it had a better motor, I’d probably do it up. Si is better in every aspect except the one and only awd vs fwd but even then Honda really knows how to make a good chassis and they got the suspension down to a tee. Lot of these newer Honda’s specially the Si and Type R outperform a lot of awd competitors. Heck I’ve been in a full bolt on and tuned base civic with E85 blend with the upgraded clutch and there was virtually no torque steer, I was shocked. Also the Si imo has the best value for the money per out of factory. Also none of the competitors can come close to the reliability Honda can provide.
Sponsored

Last edited: