Why I think there is going to be a Hatch SI

cdmta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
Country flag
It's really sad that Honda makes all these version of the new civic, but there isn't one made with everything that i want. We used to be able to build anything we wanted(years ago of course). Maybe they will release a hatch Si next year.
Sponsored

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
short test drive of the 6sp Sport hatch today .... salesman onboard
- pulls as good as my 13Si, responsive but not engaging - nothing like my 10 Si
- incredibly stiff and together chassis
- luxuriously quiet
- not the Si gearbox and linkage but good enough
- feels slippery through the air, type R will be bonkers

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Honda CRX Si
short test drive of the 6sp Sport hatch today .... salesman onboard
- pulls as good as my 13Si, responsive but not engaging - nothing like my 10 Si
- incredibly stiff and together chassis
- luxuriously quiet
- not the Si gearbox and linkage but good enough
- feels slippery through the air, type R will be bonkers
Could you elaborate on "responsive but not engaging" please?

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Honda CRX Si
I haven't read through all nine pages of this thread, so if this is a repost my apologies.

I found this tid bit of info on Honda's Web site about the unveiling of an Si Sedan, along with a coupe.

Honda Rearview Report: November 5 - November 11, 2016
11/11/2016 6:16:00 PM
"We're gearing up for a fun week at the Los Angeles Auto Show – now known as Automobilty LA – with plans for multiple vehicle, technology and marketing partnership announcements.

Acura is set to introduce the Acura Precision Cockpit, which showcases the brand's bold new ideas for the next-generation of Acura interior design and driver interface. The Acura press conference will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at 12:20 PM PST at the LA Convention Center.

On the Honda side, first, the brand will be revealing the Civic Si Prototype, heralding next year's launch of the new Civic Si Sedan and Coupe, the latest additions to our 10th-generation Civic lineup. The Honda Civic Si Prototype reveal will take place down the street from the show on Tuesday, Nov. 15 at 3:00 PM PDT.

In addition, Honda will be partnering up with the National Hockey League, and will be joined by a true NHL legend, for a significant new marketing partnership announcement. The Honda/NHL presser is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 17 at 1:55 PM PDT at Honda's booth at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

It's the start of a new auto show season and we're coming out of the gate at full gallop, so please join us for all three of these important events. Let the fun begin."

John Mendel
Executive Vice President
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Oh well, at least I won't have buyers remorse. Hard to imagine cause I'm really loving the 6MT Sport. Started the occasional redline, it feels special at 6000 rpms in the way a Mazda 3 never would. Honda knows how to make an engine.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
heralding next year's launch of the new Civic Si Sedan and Coupe, the latest additions to our 10th-generation Civic lineup.
Wow, that looks surprisingly definitive. I'm sure the guys here will still find a way to interpret that in a way that leaves room for a hatch, though.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Honda CRX Si
Wow, that looks surprisingly definitive. I'm sure the guys here will still find a way to interpret that in a way that leaves room for a hatch, though.
If they don't release a hatch, I look forward to someone building there own take on that design.:)

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
I haven't read through all nine pages of this thread, so if this is a repost my apologies.

I found this tid bit of info on Honda's Web site about the unveiling of an Si Sedan, along with a coupe.

Honda Rearview Report: November 5 - November 11, 2016
11/11/2016 6:16:00 PM
"We're gearing up for a fun week at the Los Angeles Auto Show – now known as Automobilty LA – with plans for multiple vehicle, technology and marketing partnership announcements.

Acura is set to introduce the Acura Precision Cockpit, which showcases the brand's bold new ideas for the next-generation of Acura interior design and driver interface. The Acura press conference will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at 12:20 PM PST at the LA Convention Center.

On the Honda side, first, the brand will be revealing the Civic Si Prototype, heralding next year's launch of the new Civic Si Sedan and Coupe, the latest additions to our 10th-generation Civic lineup. The Honda Civic Si Prototype reveal will take place down the street from the show on Tuesday, Nov. 15 at 3:00 PM PDT.

In addition, Honda will be partnering up with the National Hockey League, and will be joined by a true NHL legend, for a significant new marketing partnership announcement. The Honda/NHL presser is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 17 at 1:55 PM PDT at Honda's booth at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

It's the start of a new auto show season and we're coming out of the gate at full gallop, so please join us for all three of these important events. Let the fun begin."

John Mendel
Executive Vice President
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Thanks for that - precisely the kind of definitive and official info I've been looking for. It's mind boggling and not the answer I was hoping for, but I think we can close the book on the hatch Si.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
If they don't release a hatch, I look forward to someone building there own take on that design.:)
They already took care of that for you (and even gave you a minute power boost) with the hatch sport...

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In future model years? Does Honda ever introduce variants mid cycle?

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
Could you elaborate on "responsive but not engaging" please?
responsive in comparo to my 170ft/lb K2.4 in the '13 Si ... they're quoting 177ft/lb for the 1.5t and its pretty linear from about 1700rpm
whereas the K2.4 has a narrower band ... that's why the 0-60 is close or better for the 1.5t ... torque matters in this speed range
BUT the K20 has the ability to rev out quicker and build to approx 200bhp all the way to redline in pretty much all the gears at at higher speeds
hope thats helpful :thumbsup:

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
They already took care of that for you (and even gave you a minute power boost) with the hatch sport...
Hatch sport touring doesn't have stick. Hatch sport is a stripper. If you want a hatch with a sunroof and a stick, you've either got to bring it in from Canada, or build it yourself. Thanks, Honda.

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic HB Sport Touring
Country flag
In future model years? Does Honda ever introduce variants mid cycle?
Yes - 2006 Si was only in coupe, then they added the sedan in 2007. But I still believe as long as there's a hatch Sport, there'll be no hatch Si. Unless people start buying hatch Sports like crazy.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hatch sport touring doesn't have stick. Hatch sport is a stripper. If you want a hatch with a sunroof and a stick, you've either got to bring it in from Canada, or build it yourself. Thanks, Honda.
I think it's possible they'll add some content to the Sport, but not likely what you want - probably just leather, maybe the 7" screen. And maybe if the hatch is a hot seller, they'll add an Si variant. it would be super easy to do.

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
I think it'd be stupid of Honda not to sell it though. Focus ST and GTI are both it's main competition and both offered in hatch form. Golf R and FoRS are both in hatch as well which is perfect for the CTR even with the STI in sedan only form. I've learned Honda will do what the want to do sometimes with no regards to what their enthusiast base really wants. We love our high revving Si cars; but, what did we get with the 9th gen? The same redline as the Fit haha. Also Fit should have an Si variant to go against the Fiesta ST.[/QUOTE

Fit vs. 9th gen Si .... hmmmm would be fun if they offered an HRV Si ;-) Of course they won't because they aren't interested in the extra millions I could make them as head of product development lol
Sponsored