Why I think there is going to be a Hatch SI

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think that might be just a safety net until the project is signed off. What we'll see at LA will likely be the final product (or VERY close to it).

BUT... a prototype means they may not release the specs just yet. Namely the motor. :(

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
You may very well be right :(

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
I'm going to say Not gonna happen. Why? Well this week at SEMA, HPD showcased it's body-in-white Civic. I see this as HPD showing it will be supporting teams in Pirelli World Challenge and IMSAs Continental Series who will be running the "hottest version" of the car on track (correct me if I'm wrong, that's usually a point in racing-garner fans who want to purchase your cars and showcase your product). Yes the CTR will be the baddest Civic available; but it's factory power numbers wouldn't allow it to compete in those series, which causes me to believe that the Si will only be in coupe and sedan as it has been since 2006. I'd love to see a hatch and I would buy it in a heartbeat even though the 10G interior was a step back IMO, I'd love to have the utility of my Fit with the power of my S2000 all wrapped up in one vehicle. I'm basing my response simply on the whims of what was showcased at SEMA and what HPD brought to the table. We'll see if the LA Auto Show proves us all wrong.

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
I think it'd be stupid of Honda not to sell it though. Focus ST and GTI are both it's main competition and both offered in hatch form. Golf R and FoRS are both in hatch as well which is perfect for the CTR even with the STI in sedan only form. I've learned Honda will do what the want to do sometimes with no regards to what their enthusiast base really wants. We love our high revving Si cars; but, what did we get with the 9th gen? The same redline as the Fit haha. Also Fit should have an Si variant to go against the Fiesta ST.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
We will know in 4 days.....

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
5 Days :p today is the 10th. Unless you're expecting an early announcement.
November 14 is the day I read....
Next Monday I believe?

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Sorry, bud. Maybe we'll get some good leaks. I wouldn't expect an earlier announcement from that time. Must be pretty big considering they announced that they were announcing it prior. Compared to in the past when they just did surprise announcements prior to the auto show. Can anyone confirm what I'm saying to be true?

Dsgstp8d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 335 coupe, '17 hatch sport
Country flag
Here is the answer I received from an email I sent to Christie Schweisnberg regarding the availability of a hatch Si from her article in wardsauto:

"Honda right now is saying the Si will be offered in coupe and sedan body styles only and I have not heard that there will be an Si hatch. I think they're trying to keep some definition between variants and body styles. A Si hatch could cannibalize Type R sales. The Type R is based on the Civic hatchback."

This bums me out if it's true. Really annoyed with Honda for only offering a manual with base model options. The question now becomes do I trade the manual trans for the creature comforts of the EX? What would you do?

Last edited:

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Hopefully we'll get some addl info re: body styles next Tuesday - but I'm not holding my breath.

If there is no Si hatch, I may just buy a CTR, chop a hole in the roof and graft in the sunroof from an EX+ hatch.
Sponsored