Why hasn't a passenger side (usdm cars) intake/inlet pipe been developed?

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
We do all this work and worry about IATs and we still have a metal pipe above the exhaust.

Seems like it'd be fairly simple to just move the intake.
Sponsored

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Probably because its pointless since the turbo heats up the air anyway. Intercooler is the only component responsible for charge temperature.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Probably because its pointless since the turbo heats up the air anyway. Intercooler is the only component responsible for charge temperature.
While it's true that the screaming hot turbo is going to be heating up things immediately after that pipe anyways, it should be known that the ECU lowers the boost ceiling based on high IAT2s at the MAF sensor before the turbo, not for the post-intercooler charge temp. Anything you can do to reduce the temps at the intake itself will help, especially if it's by a large margin.

There's also the fact that a turbocharger is a multiplier for both temperature and pressure, so while it may seem that a 10F intake temp difference would be minimal, it can actually be huge and make the intercooler have to work that much harder.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There's also the fact that a turbocharger is a multiplier for both temperature and pressure, so while it may seem that a 10F intake temp difference would be minimal, it can actually be huge and make the intercooler have to work that much harder.
yep, roughly double the atmosphere, double the temperature.. we are adding 150% (150kpag) at a minimum (21psi) so 100 degrees at intecooler inlet is now 250 degrees. Every 10 degrees you can lower is a pretty good savings (25f) on the system. Assuming 100% efficiency

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
While it's true that the screaming hot turbo is going to be heating up things immediately after that pipe anyways, it should be known that the ECU lowers the boost ceiling based on high IAT2s at the MAF sensor before the turbo, not for the post-intercooler charge temp. Anything you can do to reduce the temps at the intake itself will help, especially if it's by a large margin.

I'm still on stock intercooler since the one I ordered has taken forever. With k&n short ram intake and catless with heat wrap iat 2 stays within 12 to 14 degrees of ambient. And iat 1 is about 20 degrees over. While I could move the intake I'd rather try a setup like the fxk ram intake for Si but I want to cut the honeycomb so I still have that fog light functioning. But I just want to feed my current intake vs risking pulling water in.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm still on stock intercooler since the one I ordered has taken forever. With k&n short ram intake and catless with heat wrap iat 2 stays within 12 to 14 degrees of ambient. And iat 1 is about 20 degrees over. While I could move the intake I'd rather try a setup like the fxk ram intake for Si but I want to cut the honeycomb so I still have that fog light functioning. But I just want to feed my current intake vs risking pulling water in.
Not bad, but no idea what the heat characteristics should be like for the Si. This is the Type R subforum if you didn't notice, lol. Heat wrapping the DP is usually the trick for many platforms though, and a turbo blanket can help even more.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Not bad, but no idea what the heat characteristics should be like for the Si. This is the Type R subforum if you didn't notice, lol. Heat wrapping the DP is usually the trick for many platforms though, and a turbo blanket can help even more.
Yeah I noticed. I'm talking about my R. Just they don't make anything ram air for us. So I'll steal their idea and make one similar but for the R. Or figure out how to make our stock ram air larger.

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Moving the intake the the passenger side of the car (and consequently the MAF sensor closer to the throttle and the turbo) may impact driveability.

Last edited:

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Moving the intake the the passenger side of the car (and consequently the MAF sensor closer to the throttle and the turbo) maybe impact driveability.
There's something I hadn't thought of when having this same idea. The longer tubes would help with the turbocharger's tendency to create pressure waves, especially leading back to the MAF.

That must be why Honda elected to use this design. Crazy how much stuff has to change when it's turbocharged and yet most people have been doing it with aftermarket eBay kits for 20 years.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
The MAF is two critical analog signals. You're asking from trouble sending an analog signal all the way from the passenger side. Its not coincidence that the ECU is right next to the intake.

This is speculation but these would be my reservations. When you increase the wire length, you're basically making a nice long antenna, which will be going by some good EMI producers (motors: cooling fans, wastegate actuator). Therefore, you'll likely have to heavily filter, which means decrease responsiveness. A delay like that can create more error in the control-loop and even make it unstable. Not to mention, most would not have the capability to filter the analog measurements, which means error in the MAF readings and calculations. Furthermore, the likely conditions you would have EMI is high boost because the wastegate is moving. Not an area you want measurement error in.

Not to mention you really want a developed velocity profile heading into the turbo. As I mentioned in this post, there's a lot more to consider when changing the intake design.