Why doesn't this car get as much respect as it should for handling.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm actually debating getting a Fit right now but I'm struggling with the choice between a fun and tossable car or something bigger and more comfortable that eats up bad roads better.
Would you be trading that in or? If you are keeping the Si, I think that's your fun and tossable car. A comfortable ride is something that makes driving that vehicle better in my opinion.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Would you be trading that in or? If you are keeping the Si, I think that's your fun and tossable car. A comfortable ride is something that makes driving that vehicle better in my opinion.
PMd to avoid thread jacking any further lol

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Great comment about the importance of light weight. I came from an e46 330i which was awesome, but when I drove the 500 lb lighter Sport hatch I loved the handling, and due to the low weight, 180 hp felt almost as fast as 235 hp in the BMW.

it why I don't like AWD if I have a choice. All that extra weight and drivetrain loss.

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I understand that we're on a Civic forum so the type R is king. But, with the LSD in this thing is there anything close to the R that handles this well in this price range. I know there is the miata and the brz on the rear wheel front. But, having had a si for a coupe months now I'm amazed how this forum is always about more speed. But this car is made for a mix and handling. The gen X SI is a great blend of both that seems like have been made to be this way. Maybe I am missing something but it seems to be overlooked here by most.
I have the Si coupe as well 2019, and it’s ok when it comes to handling. I will say that the Volkswagen GTI is by far a better handling car, but then again you’re paying 3k to 5k more

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
i have a base model coupe with CVT,and dang,it is quite a car as far as handling.i can imagine the SI is even better.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I'd say the only people who really care about the handling are the driving enthusiasts like you and I. No way did I buy the Si for straight line speed. Don't get me wrong, its no slouch but its also not going to pull a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger/<random muscle car>. Put them on a tight twisty road course though and it would be nipping at their heels. The only other car I'd say is as fun to drive would be the Ford Fiesta ST which I also happen to own. Its slightly smaller overall and weighs about 100 lbs less. It's an absolute riot in the twsities and is easily one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. The Si in its stock form with the all season tires was trash and I swapped the wheels with some lighter weight rims and sticky Michelin PS4S tires almost immediately. Truthfully I still prefer the Fiesta when it comes to high speed turns but the Phearable tune on the Si really woke up the 1.5l. As an overall package, the Civic is seriously hard to beat. Amazing grip in the corners, increased boost/power with a tune, and amazing gas mileage make it a real winner.

RGUYS

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find it hard to believe this car is front wheel drive!
This is my first Si , I was blown away at how fast I could hang a curve , no torque steer to be had .
The car stays planted and you can feel the LSD working on the grip .
I traded my MINI - S for the Si and the Si handling blows the MINI away , I was also a GTI guy , Audi A3 too .
They don’t come close to pulling the G’S I can pull in my stock suspension Si the only mod I plan on doing to the suspension is a rear sway bar .
I did go with an 8 1/2 in wheel over the stock 8 that’s about it .

Honda may have cut corners with some of the interior materials but the handling is first class.
I usually have a smile on my face when I drive my Civic Si and I can’t wait to get behind the wheel again tomorrow!

Methane Herder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I would suggest looking at the last couple of years of the SCCA Solo II nationals results for G Street class.

Hint: That's where "Stock" 10th gen. Civic Si's compete.

MH

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
My Si is a daily.
But you’re right OP. This thing has amazing handling. And not just amazing handling for a front-wheel drive car. It has amazing handling overall.
I added lowering springs to lower the center of gravity just a LITTLE more. and installed sway bars. All that did was add a little sugar to already sweet handling. Also being lowered looks nice.
This is the best handling car I’ve ever driven.

I can do wild shit in this car, and make corners I wouldn’t have dared to try in any of my previous vehicles.

Honda has done VERY VERY well, with the 10th gen platform.
The 2017 model year has been the Civic’s best selling year in the U.S. (I think Globally as well).

RAF247

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I find it hard to believe this car is front wheel drive!
This is my first Si , I was blown away at how fast I could hang a curve , no torque steer to be had .
The car stays planted and you can feel the LSD working on the grip .
I traded my MINI - S for the Si and the Si handling blows the MINI away , I was also a GTI guy , Audi A3 too .
They don’t come close to pulling the G’S I can pull in my stock suspension Si the only mod I plan on doing to the suspension is a rear sway bar .
I did go with an 8 1/2 in wheel over the stock 8 that’s about it .

Honda may have cut corners with some of the interior materials but the handling is first class.
I usually have a smile on my face when I drive my Civic Si and I can’t wait to get behind the wheel again tomorrow!
I'm 56 years old and I don't have experience with a lot of sports cars, raising 3 boys on one salary will do that. I use this car for a daily 60 mile round trip from BFE Pennsylvania into the city of Harrisburg and I will say this, this car ALWAYS puts a smile on my face when I drive it. The best description I give people is, it's like driving a go cart. Great gas mileage, plenty of zip and fabulous handling and Honda reliability. One of the best vehicles I've ever bought.
Sponsored