Why doesn't this car get as much respect as it should for handling.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have the feeling izzyC-EX's car handles better than anyone else's car in this thread. :cool: :drive::thumbsup:
Sponsored

MR. TwoSix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe, 2018 Ram 1500
Country flag
I would agree that the civic community tends to lean more to drag racing or just going fast in a straight line. When I go to autocrosses, I'm the only civic there. Outside of the Type-Rs, I don't think I've seen many videos of anyone putting their X SI's on a track.

With that being said, I believe that the handling of the Civic is okay(from the factory). It does what you want it to do, but not in any way that makes you feel rewarded.

My Fiesta ST was absolutely phenomenal(from the factory) and I loved that thing to death. It was very precise when pushed and absolutely incredible in the wet. Not to mention, the car was perfect after I put an LSD in it. Autocrossed it a couple times in the rain. The Fiesta community tends to be more handling centric.

I think the problem with the Civic SI is that it's mundane. The tires, brake pad compound, and clutch are poor for a car that's suppose to be sporty.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the problem with the Civic SI is that it's mundane. The tires, brake pad compound, and clutch are poor for a car that's suppose to be sporty.
I think you're confusing sports car with sporty. It's all about context. The Si is a sportier version of an econobox. It offers a good balance of mpgs, comfort, amenities, power and handling. It wasn't designed out of the box as a car to run regularly on the track. That's where modding comes in.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would agree that the civic community tends to lean more to drag racing or just going fast in a straight line. When I go to autocrosses, I'm the only civic there. Outside of the Type-Rs, I don't think I've seen many videos of anyone putting their X SI's on a track.

With that being said, I believe that the handling of the Civic is okay(from the factory). It does what you want it to do, but not in any way that makes you feel rewarded.

My Fiesta ST was absolutely phenomenal(from the factory) and I loved that thing to death. It was very precise when pushed and absolutely incredible in the wet. Not to mention, the car was perfect after I put an LSD in it. Autocrossed it a couple times in the rain. The Fiesta community tends to be more handling centric.

Subjectively... the Fiesta might have felt better. Objectively... the Si beat the Fiesta in acceleration, handling and braking in instrumented tests with both wearing summer rubber.

A shorter wheelbase on a car can make a big difference in handling feel. The Fiesta has the same wheelbase length as a Mini Cooper. Itā€™s a huge difference. The Civic, as good as it is on paper... is still a comparatively big damn car that isnā€™t very quirky/lively. But... :dunno: I donā€™t know. Youā€™re not the first to talk a lot of love about a Fiesta ST on the forums and I believe you when you say it feels better, having owned both.

SlowJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan. Black.
Country flag
The Civic, as good as it is on paper... is still a comparatively big damn car
I picked up a 2020 Si sedan last month. It replaced an E36 M3 that I had for years as my DD.
I still can't get over how big this civic is compared to the M3. It really is a big car.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I am not just saying this because it is my car, but hear me out...

I have driven a lot of cars from Veloster N, Porshe Boxter S, Tesla Model S Performance, ND2 Miata Club, Genesis G70, STI, Corvette Grand Sport, BMW M6, ZL1 on and on and on...I can tell you the Si on a winding twisty road is either as good or better than some of those cars in terms of responsiveness, and road holding (with good tires), you just point and shoot and you're so confident that it'll do exactly what you want and you feel exactly what the front tires are doing. I never once got out of those cars and into mine and felt like my car was absolutely stomped in the handling department..power wise is another story though lol.

MR. TwoSix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe, 2018 Ram 1500
Country flag
Subjectively... the Fiesta might have felt better. Objectively... the Si beat the Fiesta in acceleration, handling and braking in instrumented tests with both wearing summer rubber.

A shorter wheelbase on a car can make a big difference in handling feel. The Fiesta has the same wheelbase length as a Mini Cooper. Itā€™s a huge difference. The Civic, as good as it is on paper... is still a comparatively big damn car that isnā€™t very quirky/lively. But... :dunno: I donā€™t know. Youā€™re not the first to talk a lot of love about a Fiesta ST on the forums and I believe you when you say it feels better, having owned both.
The Fiesta ST was built on the Mazda2 platform, I think it was the last thing they shared from when Ford owned a stake in Mazda.

I love small cars, I've owned 4 miatas, a yaris(mistake), and the FiST. Funny thing is that when I went to the Honda dealer, I was actually looking at the Fit Sport. I couldn't get over the fact of losing about 70hp to the FiST. If Honda would've put this engine in the Fit, I would've been all over it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I couldn't get over the fact of losing about 70hp to the FiST. If Honda would've put this engine in the Fit, I would've been all over it.
Agreed. Iā€™ve said it before... the Accord is more of an Avalon, the Civic a Camry... and the Fit really is, to me, what a Civic was when I was young. Honda doesnā€™t make a really little car anymore... but if you want one... the Fit is it.

A Fit with the turbo motor would have been awesome. Considering this motor was lifted from there and had been used in a modified form in that CRZ... itā€™s sad they didnā€™t make a Si variant of the Fit. I imagine they would have done well.

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The 2nd of owning my Si, I went on a road trip that involved a lot of winding roads and I was blown away how it felt through corners. I never had a car with an LSD before and I was very impressed. The tires were shit but those were easily replaced later on. After a RSB and strut bar, the car was pretty amazing around corners and there was no understeer. Very little money fixed what problems I had with it as far as handling went.

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Agreed. Iā€™ve said it before... the Accord is more of an Avalon, the Civic a Camry... and the Fit really is, to me, what a Civic was when I was young. Honda doesnā€™t make a really little car anymore... but if you want one... the Fit is it.

A Fit with the turbo motor would have been awesome. Considering this motor was lifted from there and had been used in a modified form in that CRZ... itā€™s sad they didnā€™t make a Si variant of the Fit. I imagine they would have done well.
I'm actually debating getting a Fit right now but I'm struggling with the choice between a fun and tossable car or something bigger and more comfortable that eats up bad roads better.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So , Charles, I guess you would have loved my '84 CRX 1.5...

Now that was a tossable, fun little car. Barely weighed 1800 lbs. with a full tank of gas.

Followed that up with an Integra that was even more fun. Those were the days when Honda was Honda (if that makes sense lol).

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So , Charles, I guess you would have loved my '84 CRX 1.5...

Now that was a tossable, fun little car. Barely weighed 1800 lbs. with a full tank of gas.

Followed that up with an Integra that was even more fun. Those were the days when Honda was Honda (if that makes sense lol).
Yeah. I missed out... didnā€™t get my license until around ā€˜99 or so and got into Zs heavy. Had it not been for the wife picking that RSX and it growing on me... Iā€™d probably never bought a Civic later. While the Civic is a good fit for me with the family... I miss the RSX. Itā€™s wheelbase is closer to the length to that Fiesta than the present Civic... light enough to feel good and powerful enough to move and made all the right noises. Still a boat compared to that ā€˜84 CRX though.?
Sponsored