Why does the stock 2017/2018 Si seem to underperform on the 0-60 & quarter mile relative to specs?

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Between the 'good old days' of the old ~8k RPM K20 or the ~7k RPM K24... both with well less power than this car stock and certainly the 9th gens with its own problems with it's stock tune... horrific rev hang and oddly hesitant now and then, even with good traction running 93 octane... I'm pretty pleased. I drove the 10th gen Si then still kept my 9th gen to sleep on it for a few days... the had to keep it a week longer to wait for my car to be delivered. While I'll agree the last 500-1000 RPM in the 10th gen isn't much to write home about... the quick enable and adjustments made what lag that exists pretty minimal. Given all the old turbo cars I've fooled with over the years, it isn't the least laggy I've ever experienced, save maybe one of those inline 6 Bimmers... and the one I drove was a long time ago. I bet they're even better now.

People running ethanol and a reflash are making near 90s LS1 levels of power out of an engine with a little more than 1/4 the displacement. I wouldn't have believed it was possible at that time.
1st car was a 91 integra gs. Not quite the gsr but redlined at 7800 or 8200...can’t rememeber now...getting old. Loved the high reving motor...just nothing like the sound....anyway, this car does feel WAY faster than the older ones even though instrumented testing shows it’s pretty much the same. Thought I’d miss it but would take this one anyday w/o a second thought.

And I agree what Honda has done w this motor is nothing short of amazing. I’m averaging 38 mpg on my daily commute that’s all city and mostly bumper to bumper traffic. That’s w some spirited driving mixed in. Absolutely amazing...

Looking at the ktuner for the adjustments but just had one graduate high school and the other not far behind. $450 to splurge on myself is hard to come by...but the day will come.
Sponsored

kerrmoney

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si FC3 Modern Steel, 89 CRX Si, 93 Integra LS, 06 HHR
Not yet...I’ll admit, I’ll run her pretty hard and then some, but the no lift shift just seems a little too far on the abuse side for me...just my perception
Those were my exact thoughts. Previously a friend of mine also suggested I TRY it, he wouldn't steer me wrong. So after commenting on this thread, I was so curious I went out and tired it. AMAZING!!! Whole new car!!! Thought about making a posts about my experience. Think I should?

kerrmoney

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could always do what I'm doing get the Si and the accord sport 2.0t and wait for warranties to expire swap motors and make the accord a real economy car and the Si into a FTR
Amazing idea!!!!!!!

kerrmoney

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tl;dr - the entire Si vs Accord argument that has been going on in multiple threads can be summed up with:

The Si is a sporty car that can act as a family sedan.
The Accord is a family sedan that can be a sporty car.
Choose whichever suits your needs/preferences best.
Well said

chaosnyx

Honeycomb
First Name
chaosnyx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Not yet...I’ll admit, I’ll run her pretty hard and then some, but the no lift shift just seems a little too far on the abuse side for me...just my perception
What does no shift lift mean?

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
The no lift shift doesn't have to be abusive. It is not as fast if you are racing, but you can set your NLS rev limit to something lower and closer to the actual engagement point instead of redline. Then when you do shift, you clutch in, wait for revs to drop (I set mine around 4k), then engage the next gear. It is much less stressful than slamming it into the next gear and clutching as fast as I can, but still much faster and less laggy than regular shifting. Does any of that make sense?
Sponsored