Why does everyone say the Type R is slow?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Well that's kind of out of my "price vs. performance" Civic type category if you know what I mean.
I almost mentioned the NSX but thought, "nobody will put the CTR in the same category as an NSX" lol.
Dw I get what you're saying. Was just being an Ass :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
BrokeCTROwner

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
that g8 gxp must not be tuned lol because bolt ons and a tune those things are making almost 400whp
the shitty stock trans tune holds that car back.

i owned a g8 before ful bolt ons a tune and a camaro 3.45 rear end. in terms of acceleration the g8 is deff faster from a stand still but from a roll the civic feels way faster.

i think its the nature of fwd lol
You’re right it wasn’t tuned but still making a considerable amount more than a stock R
With the cars OP mentioned from a stop or a roll the R isn’t going to keep up that’s just reality. It wouldn’t even be close.

If anyone disagrees they’re delusional.
You have an R race a 2nd gen coyote and you’ll be surprised.

OP
OP
BrokeCTROwner

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
I’m not trying to argue that the car is fast, I know that fast is a subjective term and differs from person to person I myself don’t view the car as fast but it certainly isn’t slow by any means. I completely agree with the talks about it being slow from a dig 1st and 2nd gear are near useless which is the entire reason for it having bad 1/4 mile times I think with just radials and hondatas traction control no extra power the car will go well into the 12’s and this is something I want to test and confirm (or deny) for myself. Also about these 400+ hp cars the type r’s power to weight ratio is very very close to these cars and practically identical with a stock G8 gxp

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I think the car is really good stock. However FBO tuned to 385/385whp would make the R really fast in my book. C6 Z06 is the fastest car I’ve ever personally owned. A friend had a 685whp LS7 Z06 that was insane. This car brings me that joy every time I drive it. Not a drag car at all. A carving menace.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The Type R is a quick car around a track driven by a professional driver, not by just anybody, it takes a lot of skill to get all of the track performance out of the car, majority of the Type R weenies on this board will wreck trying. If you ride race motorcycles you’ll understand this. A skilled Si driver will whoop an unskilled Type R driver around a track all day long. Street racing involves much less skill, the power of the car is most important, straight ahead racing is where cars are judged as fast or not in 99% of encounters. The Type R is slow in this regard.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Ignore the sorry fwd launch for a minute. 107-108mph traps stock and 110-111mph traps with bolt ons + tune is pretty lukewarm at best.

The competition with a minor build will dust these cars in a straight line. But the FK8 still reigns supreme on a track.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I am confused about so much in this thread. "Street racing"...just plain STUPID...IMHO. Great way to get killed or kill someone or lose your license. "CTR not fast enough" Will it beat a similar weight car with more horsepower, of course not physics explains how that works. If you want straight line speed buy a Chrysler product(or brand of your choice) with 700+ horsepower. However, don't expect it to turn very good at track speeds. "First and second gears are essentially worthless" I don't know they seem to produce smiles in me when I'm feeling frisky during normal driving.

Look I'm old and have "been there done that" many times as a "yute" so I have little room to break bad. The CTR is an entertaining car to drive on the street, costs under $40k and I do not expect it to compete with higher horsepower or modified vehicles that just is not rational. On twisty track performance with the heat saturation issues addressed I have read that it is a capable car. One report from a certified DE instructor I know from a different forum the CTR is fun and very capable in that environment even without cooling mods. If you want a race car...buy a race car...just keep it on the track.

End of rant...

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
I am confused about so much in this thread. "Street racing"...just plain STUPID...IMHO. Great way to get killed or kill someone or lose your license. "CTR not fast enough" Will it beat a similar weight car with more horsepower, of course not physics explains how that works. If you want straight line speed buy a Chrysler product(or brand of your choice) with 700+ horsepower. However, don't expect it to turn very good at track speeds. "First and second gears are essentially worthless" I don't know they seem to produce smiles in me when I'm feeling frisky during normal driving.

Look I'm old and have "been there done that" many times as a "yute" so I have little room to break bad. The CTR is an entertaining car to drive on the street, costs under $40k and I do not expect it to compete with higher horsepower or modified vehicles that just is not rational. On twisty track performance with the heat saturation issues addressed I have read that it is a capable car. One report from a certified DE instructor I know from a different forum the CTR is fun and very capable in that environment even without cooling mods. If you want a race car...buy a race car...just keep it on the track.

End of rant...
From one old guy to another - well said.
The only thing I'd question is, "On twisty track performance with the heat saturation issues addressed..."
The heat soak issue has yet to be addressed by any proven changes, zero, nada, none.
I wish it was but sadly all you see is people throwing ridiculous amounts of money and time on modifications that have little or no affect.
(I'm not sure what part of very hot air is very hot air people don't get.)
Short of gutting the car and starting from scratch you get what you get... or as you so eloquently put it: "If you want a race car...buy a race car...just keep it on the track."