Why does everyone say the Type R is slow?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Third gear is fun but it won’t have a chance against a GT, SS, or G8 GXP from a stop or a roll in stock form so it would be worse with minor bolt ons.
Agreed. This car is not built for straight line speed. It's just something you have to accept.
Sponsored

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's FWD and sucks from a stopped position. Most street races are people accelerating 0-60 from a stopped position. Probably explains it.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I guess no one going to comment on the OP street racing lol.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's the fastest Honda (afaik) and also the fastest Civic, and it's cheap!
I love driving mine, not for the speed but how it handles and how well it runs as a system.
Plus the tech is nice too. Coming from a 370Z (the oldest new sports car you can buy) the tech package is quite nice.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I guess no one going to comment on the OP street racing lol.

I have yet to go up against any of the newer cars. Weirdly enough its been mostly built cars lol. All of these were done in mexico.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love driving mine, not for the speed but how it handles and how well it runs as a system.
Plus the tech is nice too. Coming from a 370Z (the oldest new sports car you can buy) the tech package is quite nice.
The NSX exists you know.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Never heard any professional reviewers say the car is slow or youtubers. Everyone I've seen review the car says it's a pretty quick car. Having test driven one, I can see how someone would say it's slow if they only stayed in the 1st 2 gears which is what I did. It was pretty underwhelming.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From my limited perspective it’s fast enough.. but I’ve only driven put put mobiles prior to getting the Type R. Ignorance is bliss I suppose lol.

Never heard any professional reviewers say the car is slow or youtubers. Everyone I've seen review the car says it's a pretty quick car. Having test driven one, I can see how someone would say it's slow if they only stayed in the 1st 2 gears which is what I did. It was pretty underwhelming.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have yet to go up against any of the newer cars. Weirdly enough its been mostly built cars lol. All of these were done in mexico.

If you're referring to these videos, these are most certainly not in Mexico. They are in NJ.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
fast can be subjective

my last car was a charger hellcat. my ctr is a lot of fun but doesn’t feel as “fast” even from a roll

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
If you're referring to these videos, these are most certainly not in Mexico. They are in NJ.
The "This was done in Mexico" is a thinly veiled attempt to keep the Internet Police from meeting the Real Police and having them show up at your door for street racing with proof... yes this is a little tongue in cheek, but that's the general gist.

No idea where that started, but I'm sure there's an interesting story about it somewhere.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The "This was done in Mexico" is a thinly veiled attempt to keep the Internet Police from meeting the Real Police and having them show up at your door for street racing with proof... yes this is a little tongue in cheek, but that's the general gist.

No idea where that started, but I'm sure there's an interesting story about it somewhere.
But my street cred..

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The NSX exists you know.
Well that's kind of out of my "price vs. performance" Civic type category if you know what I mean.
I almost mentioned the NSX but thought, "nobody will put the CTR in the same category as an NSX" lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: