Why does everyone say the Type R is slow?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Guy was riding me hard so i just had to tease him... :dunno:

You're still on this?

Because you don't grasp things, below you'd be the guy on the left.
Honda Civic 10th gen Why does everyone say the Type R is slow? 397
Sponsored

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
You're still on this?

Because you don't grasp things, below you'd be the guy on the left.
397.png
I don't think you got the memo yet but i don't give a single fuck man, lmaoooo

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag

TornadoredGen3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy-T, Jetta Tsi, SI,A5
Country flag
I have yet to go up against any of the newer cars. Weirdly enough its been mostly built cars lol. All of these were done in mexico.

hahahahah i know exactly where these took place i drive there everyday around 5 am or 2 pm
i have come across that s2000 looks fast but it isnt... you know that guy? where you tuned? or any mods?

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
hahahahah i know exactly where these took place i drive there everyday around 5 am or 2 pm
i have come across that s2000 looks fast but it isnt... you know that guy? where you tuned? or any mods?
I don't want to say the r is faster because it wasn't a proper 321 go but i started to pull at the end sooo idk. I was completely stock in that video!

Last edited:

TornadoredGen3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy-T, Jetta Tsi, SI,A5
Country flag
I don't want to say the r is faster because it wasn't a proper 321 go but i started to pull at the end sooo idk. I was completely stock in that video!
No ill say it for you .. it is faster!! S2k when thru its powerband at it didnt even pull on you.. while you still had to go a few more rpms. if you stayed on ita lil more you would have pulled on him. when in nnj you located im in parsippany

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
No ill say it for you .. it is faster!! S2k when thru its powerband at it didnt even pull on you.. while you still had to go a few more rpms. if you stayed on ita lil more you would have pulled on him. when in nnj you located im in parsippany
You kinda deep but im in north bergen!

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
So, I have owned both. The 17 CTR and owned it for 2 plus years and now own a 19 Mustang GT. The CRT is not slow but, it depends where and how you are comparing it. We all see the talk and hear the opinions. So in My group of friends we have either had or have a 17, 18, and 19 CRT all at same time. The 18 owner sold his CTR and Bought a 19GT PP1. SO at the time we had a 17 and 19 CTR and a 19 Mustang GT PP1 and we all raced and did back roads (Mountains of North Carolina) and everything together and tested things out against each other. So here is what we all found in our group. The CTR simply never got ahead of the GT off the line. Even my CTR with full bolt ons and a throttle controller and a tune I could never get My buddies GT off a line. His GT has the A10 Auto for reference. AT rolls the owner of the 19 CTR and the Mustang (they were both more into racing then I am) the GT would stay ahead almost every time. Through 20,30,40 50 and 60 rolls. You have to remember thought we are comparing two totally different cars and this is just short street races where a Mustang is better equipped to handle bursts of speed. As for back roads.. the difference was not so night and day as most CTR owners would have you think. With a few adjustments to the Mustang it stayed right with the CTR no problem. and we have a road here that is a compact version of the tail of the dragon its is 3.9 miles up a mountain side with 59 turns. So was a fairly good comparison drive.

On a track well that is where the CTR was built and tested. The CTR is slow as frozen snot first through 2nd. Its third gear where it takes off. It has a higher top end then a Mustang and the two are so close on a track that it would come down to driver skill. Why do I say close? well not the this last Lightning lap but the previous one with the CTR the CTR came in just under the Mustang and the Camaro in lap time. Yes yes the mustang and camaro are way more powerful cars and I would expect them to win but, considering what the CTR is and the fact that is was just a hair behind those other cars is VERY impressive. it is not slow by any means. And I would say depending on the driver the time were so close that the CTR could very well beat them.

The problem with the CTR is that is was a track developed car designed and tested for and on tracks where it is very fast and very impressive for a FWD 4 banger but not for a daily road car... which it is sold as. It is very slow off a start just like a indy car. the gearing snt for take off but for speed (which kicks in at 3rd gear). The issue is that the general public buys the car and then expects daily driving to be race worthy and are disappointed when the car simply is not the crack neck car they expected off dead stops. IN the real world there is not much chance to throw down 80 mile per hour and taking corners on two wheels so lots of people get disappointed and end up trading in the CTR as we have seen with tons of trade ins. This is not a stop light to stop light car, nor is it a neck cracker during launches. Most regular peoples only experience with the car are gonna be daily and in that context no the CTR is not a fast car. Hell I had several MInivans and station wagons out do me at stop lights. I dont track cars so for me the fast CRT was not in my life. My only fun comes stoplight to stoplight where I live and in that way the CTR is slow. This is when big v8s come in. They are stop light to stop light cars which 90% of america is part of and not track people. This is why the CRT is said to be slow because most people don't get to experience in the way it was developed and in an area it shines. They just see their asses handed to them at stop lights and daily driving( I was there too) and think (like I did) man this is suppose to be a fast car.

These are my opinions and mine alone you may not agree with them but hey that's why they are opinions LOL.

OH side note I see lots of talk of I beat this car or that car with the CRT ( I too was bragging when I beat cars with mine :) ) But typically you will see it was a 2015 or 2008 or some older car. year to year equals the CTR just wasnt meant to be a car that is fast at a take off. If you watch most youtube comparisons the CTR was always the slowest starter. But once it hit third it made up massive ground. All be it typically to late to win short sprints.

The long and short is its a track car made to hit high speeds over long runs it is not a short distance sprinter. And daily driving life is short sprints and in that it is a slow car. relatively speaking.
Well summed up, Harlaquin!

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
For me, the CTR is all about balance. It is a balanced serious driver’s car. In that way it is pretty much nonpareil at its price point. There’s a certain Zen to it. In serious real racing, which is not track days or autocross; I mean real racing when you’re racing directly against other drivers on a road course, not just the clock, the start is an important but relatively small, part of the race. Undoubtedly you can find a lot of other cars in the same or similar price range that will get you to 60, or through the quarter mile faster, if that’s all driving is for you. They also will have their own multiple peculiar quirks and drawbacks.

I have been driving since the early part of the American muscle car era; straight line performance was important because that was the only thing that those cars could do. They certainly were not able to really corner or stop well. 0-60 and quarter-mile times have nothing much to do with real driving. Street racing, well, I stopped doing that about 50 years ago when I figured out that it was irresponsible both for me and for the other people on the street who usually are not paying attention, and have no conception of what is going on when a couple of yahoos are doing something stupid to satisfy their egos, so I was putting them in peril as well.

The CTR is dependably and safely fast. If you’re a good and serious driver and carefully regard the inabilities and lack of attention of most of the other drivers on the road, it will safely get you from point to point as fast as anything else, will be a pure pleasure to drive, relatively inexpensive, and easy to maintain. 0-60 in six seconds or less is enough for anybody driving a car on the street, if you can get more that’s fine, but what’s the point?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
For me, the CTR is all about balance. It is a balanced serious driver’s car. In that way it is pretty much nonpareil at its price point. There’s a certain Zen to it. In serious real racing, which is not track days or autocross; I mean real racing when you’re racing directly against other drivers on a road course, not just the clock, the start is an important but relatively small, part of the race. Undoubtedly you can find a lot of other cars in the same or similar price range that will get you to 60, or through the quarter mile faster, if that’s all driving is for you. They also will have their own multiple peculiar quirks and drawbacks.

I have been driving since the early part of the American muscle car era; straight line performance was important because that was the only thing that those cars could do. They certainly were not able to really corner or stop well. 0-60 and quarter-mile times have nothing much to do with real driving. Street racing, well, I stopped doing that about 50 years ago when I figured out that it was irresponsible both for me and for the other people on the street who usually are not paying attention, and have no conception of what is going on when a couple of yahoos are doing something stupid to satisfy their egos, so I was putting them in peril as well.

The CTR is dependably and safely fast. If you’re a good and serious driver and carefully regard the inabilities and lack of attention of most of the other drivers on the road, it will safely get you from point to point as fast as anything else, will be a pure pleasure to drive, relatively inexpensive, and easy to maintain. 0-60 in six seconds or less is enough for anybody driving a car on the street, if you can get more that’s fine, but what’s the point?
Very well said - I've had performance cars for 20 years and this car is quick, fun, precise, a joy to drive as a daily but it's not a racecar. That being said, it's PLENTY fast and fun in its own way. I think if they made a perfectly powered for its size, ideal daily driver with enough power to get in trouble / have fun and still have great mpg's. I'm still keeping my M2 for a sledgehammer / fast RWD and other cars will always have their niche but the Type R is def one of a kind.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
PeeFree's build is impressive to say the least.
IMO as an old fart I would place his build firmly in what appears to be the money-is-no-object category.
Don't forget the costs behind getting all that great aftermarket stuff installed, de-bugged and dialed in.
It looks like he tracks it on the weekend - drops it off at the tuner with a huge bag of cash on Monday and then picks it up the following weekend to head to the track again... repeat.
Truly impressive! Nice car. Nice build. But --- if you added it all up don't you think you would be in the +$35,000 range by now?
Or somewhere in the neighborhood of the value of the car?
I mean really-really-really look at all he has done and start adding.
And - as an old fart - I say once again - not one single item suggested to cure the heat soak issue has been proven to work.
Not one.
No data, no temp sensor readings, no dyno readouts, no proof that any single one or combination actually does anything.
And again, I wish there was!
Thanks for the compliments on the build. haha.

You see, I'm not a shop and I'm not definitely not a engineer or anything. I'm just your average track addict that's trying to get his car running right. It's because of this, that we just kind of took an old school approach to figuring things out. Install it. Run it at the track. And see if it solves the problem.

With that said, we were able to figure things out, although it took a lot longer and costed a lot more than I expected. I wish I had some of the tools at the start this project that I have now (aim solo, camera, gauges....etc..) so that I could show what sort of effects each had mod had on temperatures. In the end, all I really have is my own impressions of whether each mod or the totality of them worked or not.

I agree that there needs to be more proof of what exactly is the cause of being able to do runs like his, but we'd need his tuber for that, and who knows if that guy is really willing to share anything.

Optimistically thinking though, cherry picking the parts I've listed with no evidence of my own of course, I do hope this would yield the largest of heat savings I'll call it (considering the fact they're the only things really aimed at heat in his build). With cherry picking, you reduce the price drastically.. this doesn't include any tuning obviously.
My car is tuned by Anthony at Hybridworks. They're located in northern California in a city called Vallejo. It's an extremely small shop but I went there because a couple of the local CTR guys was recommending him. Nice bunch of guys there and I'm sure if you asked him, they would be more than willing to divulge whatever "secrets" they have to help you get your car running right.

In regards to evidence, I don't really have any. Just my build thread and youtube videos of me driving around on track. haha.

I can tell you guys what works and what doesn't but you can also get that same information from my build thread. Located here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/peefrees-civic-type-r-fk8-build-thread-track-street.34621/
Sponsored