Why does everyone say the Type R is slow?

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
I've owned my Type R (Stock) for about 6 months now and have raced a 6th gen SS (stock) , 15 mustang GT (intake & exhaust), and now today Pontiac G8 Gxp (I,H,E). I of course lost to these 3 cars but only by half a car with the GT to about 2 car lengths to the SS the G8 slotting between the 2. The car held pace with all 3 of these much higher horsepower cars most people would consider fast and has destroyed everything else I've raced from FBO Subarus to focus ST's etc. Most of these races have been rolls with a few digs here and there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BrokeCTROwner

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
Who knows? But the Type R wasn’t designed for straight line speed, it was designed to be tracked, and this could be the factor.
You’re right, we all know what this car was built to do but a lot of people seem to disregard it when it comes to straight line speed. I think a lot of it has to do with this and the fact that it posts lack luster 1/4 mile times stock. That said though it traps pretty insane speeds at the drags which people also ignore

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
It's people that don't see the side that if you took them to a canyon run they'd probably get left in the dust.. Honestly I ask everyone that says it's slow if they wanna do a run through my local pass/mountain run. They all say no and walk away with their ego taking a hit probably cause they'd get crapped on..... :)

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Fast in the corners and quick in a straight line. I dont think there is any area the type r is slow. Idk if id call it fast in a straightline though... Defiantly not slow

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I’d rather be fast around the corners, it’s way more fun. Maybe it’s an older thing but I don’t care for straight line speeds.

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
It is painfully slow off the line.
Just about any automatic (think 1996 Hyundai) will toast it off the line.
It is painfully slow when it is hot out.
Well, not painfully but annoyingly.

It is very, very fast in cooler temps and very, very fast for what it is (a rather large family hatchback).
I'm curious about the claims to straight line speed since I just got back from Road Atlanta and ran out of straight long before I ran out of power/acceleration. I truly believe this car could see the 150 mark which is certainly not slow. Where the hell you use 6th gear in the US is beyond me.

Yep, it handles corners quite well - or shall we say it can be quite fast in the corners too.

Funny I got out of a racing Miata because I was so sick of everything else having 2X the HP only to find these days that the Type R has about half the HP of most of the stuff out there... When did we start to think of 300HP as slow?

But she holds her own quite well against (most not all) of those higher HP cars.

Last edited:

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
that g8 gxp must not be tuned lol because bolt ons and a tune those things are making almost 400whp
the shitty stock trans tune holds that car back.

i owned a g8 before ful bolt ons a tune and a camaro 3.45 rear end. in terms of acceleration the g8 is deff faster from a stand still but from a roll the civic feels way faster.

i think its the nature of fwd lol

Last edited:

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Looks like everyone you raced is a terrible driver. Every car you mentioned will beat the Type R by more than a full second in the quarter.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Looks like everyone you raced is a terrible driver. Every car you mentioned will beat the Type R by more than a full second in the quarter.
Rolls and quarter miles can be very very different. Not a very good gauge unless he was going from a dig

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With the cars OP mentioned from a stop or a roll the R isn’t going to keep up that’s just reality. It wouldn’t even be close.

If anyone disagrees they’re delusional.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This car pulls HARD once it hits 3rd gear. Everything prior causes the front wheels to spin and the TCS to cut power. It’s slow off the like but once it gets up to speed it has incredible tenacity all the way to top speed.

But that’s the issue. Off the line this car FEELS slow unless you drop the clutch with reckless abandon and shift like you’re in a fast and furious film. If you don’t you have to wait to the end of 2nd gear for the traction issues to stabilize and then the car rockets forward.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rolls and quarter miles can be very very different. Not a very good gauge unless he was going from a dig
This car pulls HARD once it hits 3rd gear. Everything prior causes the front wheels to spin and the TCS to cut power. It’s slow off the like but once it gets up to speed it has incredible tenacity all the way to top speed.

But that’s the issue. Off the line this car FEELS slow unless you drop the clutch with reckless abandon and shift like you’re in a fast and furious film. If you don’t you have to wait to the end of 2nd gear for the traction issues to stabilize and then the car rockets forward.
Third gear is fun but it won’t have a chance against a GT, SS, or G8 GXP from a stop or a roll in stock form so it would be worse with minor bolt ons.
Sponsored