Why do other car headlights flicker in my side camera?

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
To my tech geeks.. I was getting into an exit lane when I turned on my right hand blinker the camera popped up on the screen (as it should). However, the car that was behind me in that lane had flickering headlights (only visible in the screen) I freaked out and thought it was a cop... Anyone know why this would have happened? I am assuming something to do with a framerate? or refresh rate? I have no clue. Someone please enlighten me.
Sponsored

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it is most likely the refresh rate of the lane watch camera, especially if the car behind you had led headlights

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
it is most likely the refresh rate of the lane watch camera, especially if the car behind you had led headlights
Wouldnt that be backwards? Wouldnt it be the led headlights refresh rate being represented on the civics screen?

Op, to simplify record your led tv with your phones camcorder... Then replay the video you just recorded on your phone... It should do the same thing you experienced in the car.. Basically its picking up the refresh rate of the light wich our vision cant see

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Yeah, the side camera outputs NTSC video, which has a framerate of 29.97 frames per second. LED lights can't be dimmed by varying the voltage like a incandescent light can. So if the light output of an LED bulb is higher than desired, it has to be pulsed on and off really fast to make it look dimmer.

If it pulsed on and off exactly 29.97 times per second (or some multiple of that like 59.94), then I think it would look solid through the side camera. But if the rate doesn't match the camera's like that, the camera records up some frames where the LED is on and some where it's off, so you see flicker.
Sponsored