Why didn't the Alarm go off? Air Bag stolen!

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend's 2017 Coupe Touring was broken into yesterday and the steering wheel airbags was stolen.

He's just wondering why didn't the Alarm go off, they broken the driver side door handle.

It happened at mall parking lot in the afternoon so the attention of the alarm could've prevented it but we'll never know.

Faulty or do they really have the tools that disables alarms.
Sponsored

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend's 2017 Coupe Touring was broken into yesterday and the steering wheel airbags was stolen.

He's just wondering why didn't the Alarm go off, they broken the driver side door handle.

It happened at mall parking lot in the afternoon so the attention of the alarm could've prevented it but we'll never know.

Faulty or do they really have the tools that disables alarms.
Which mall?

OP
OP
bembol

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bramalea City Centre

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Ahh good ol Brampton. Man that sucks, but tbh a lot of people might not bother doing anything about it.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
1) Was it locked?
2) Did they open a door, or just break window?
3) Alarm only triggers the "gimpy" horn and lights and most people would ignore them.
4) There are electronic devices that can copy a keyless fob signal and be used to unlock AND STEAL a car.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
That's interesting. Does he have pictures of the door handle?

The alarm turns off after 30 minutes, I believe. So, if he was in the mall for longer than that then it could explain why the alarm wasn't on when he came out.

MikeWCivicLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My airbag was stolen while parked in front of my condo overnight. The thieves broke the glass and took the airbag out. Is the alarm went off I would have heard. It clearly didn't.

OP
OP
bembol

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1) Was it locked?
2) Did they open a door, or just break window?
3) Alarm only triggers the "gimpy" horn and lights and most people would ignore them.
4) There are electronic devices that can copy a keyless fob signal and be used to unlock AND STEAL a car.
Yes. From the dash cam it was 10-15 minutes. She got back and the door handle was broken. Nissan Sentra parked very close, seen leaving but police didn't do anything. They couldn't even get mall security cameras. Privacy issues?!?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Reminds me of those recent news articles that warned Civic owners about Civics being targeted for airbags. I live in the car theft capital of Canada and I have my fingers crossed that my Touring doesn't get jacked into one day.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes. ...and the door handle was broken. ...but police didn't do anything. They couldn't even get mall security cameras. Privacy issues?!?
Any more detail on door handle broken? Did they just pry it until the lock/latch was defeated?
Assume "couldn't get mall security cameras" was the private citizen, not the police? Perhaps the owner's insurance investigators would have better luck.
Lack of police interest is disappointing.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Any more detail on door handle broken? Did they just pry it until the lock/latch was defeated?
Assume "couldn't get mall security cameras" was the private citizen, not the police? Perhaps the owner's insurance investigators would have better luck.
In many parts of Canada, lack of police interest in car thefts is the norm. It is rather unfortunate. My 8th gen Civic was transported from Toronto to western Canada by a shady transport company and the car went missing for a while, the company wouldn't respond to phone calls. Police showed little interest. Fortunately car was insured. The police will just close the line after filing a report. I wonder how interested police are in the US about car theft reports.

Saskatchewan province ranks very high in the list of per capita car thefts. Yet the RCMP and city police departments here treat it as just a fact of life in this province.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Canadian vehicle theft statistics are skewed because by far the most common vehicles stolen are pre-immobilizer vehicles, especially heavy duty pickups like F-350's. That's why Calgary is the current top city and western provinces invariably have the highest rates ... in other words, the high theft rate is meaningless in terms of CivicX theft risk. Other than pickups, the high-value vehicles are 4Runners, similar-class SUV's, and the occasional Lexus or Audi in Quebec and Ontario. Almost all of these vehicles are stolen to order and immediately go overseas in containers. Every once in a while the Sûreté break up a theft ring and thefts in Ontario/Quebec plummet for a while. A CivicX - assuming that you don't leave the car running with the fob in it - has a negligible chance of being stolen anywhere in Canada. Steering wheel airbag theft in the GTA - well, that's another story :eek:. They usually hit a bunch of cars at once - I hauled out an old Club in hopes of encouraging them to move on.

OP
OP
bembol

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They just pryde it until it opened. It seems like no one wanted to investigate this.

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
Why are people stealing airbags? Am I missing something?
Sponsored