Why did you purchase Civic EX trim over Corolla?

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag

We are boring people. And to think, this will be available for purchase by boring people late next year. Boring dream indeed.
That's very impressive, puts the type R at spot #77 of the fastest top 100 laps times at the Ring, right behind the 2008 911 Carerra S and 2003 M3, AND in a front wheel drive car. It's also a great value considering the price will be substantially less than a comparable German car. The only thing missing is pedigree. Hopefully when the NSX is reintroduced, that will begin to put Honda into the dream car category for enthusiasts.
Sponsored

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Not flaming the ex trim, but curious why ppl bought 2016 civic ex over 2016 Corolla? When test driving different new cars, I couldn't help but feel the civic ex felt similar to a Corolla. Corolla was cheaper where I'm from to. But when I test drove the ex-t, I didn't look back.
Why is this even a post...

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Not flaming the ex trim, but curious why ppl bought 2016 civic ex over 2016 Corolla? When test driving different new cars, I couldn't help but feel the civic ex felt similar to a Corolla. Corolla was cheaper where I'm from to. But when I test drove the ex-t, I didn't look back.
Test drove EX, EX-t, Corolla. In Canada there is almost no difference in "trim" Ex-t has 17 inch wheels, fog lights, spoiler but interior is identical (except for leather steering wheel which is no big deal to me). So the primary difference is the turbo but even without the turbo, which I didn't want because I'm keeping it for a long time and felt the non turbo engine would hold up better over 8 or so years, the EX felt superior to the Corolla in terms of power and handling. Felt like you were in a larger, more luxurious car compared to the Corolla. Corolla styling looks outdated as well. Almost every professional review comparing these cars comes to the same conclusion.

RiViT13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I test drive both Corolla and Corolla sport. Could not tell the differance. Boring and bland styling. Bought the EX-T, styling, performance, interior WOW so much nicer than Craolla. Not your grandma's car. I LOVE MY CIVIC EXT. SPORT mode is .

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a Civic EX, and I also test drove the Corolla before buying the Civic. I actually test drove the Corolla before the Civic, and even without the Civic bias, the Corolla was nothing impressive. It can get me from point A to point B reliably, and that's about it. Power was severely lacking, and I thought the interior design was fugly, especially the always-on, old-fashioned digital clock that Toyota puts in all of their cars. Also the entertainment system did not offer Android Auto, which was something that I really wanted. The only thing that I liked about the Corolla was the standard LED headlights, but even then, the light output is embarrassingly dim. Then I looked at the Civic. Looks effin awesome on the outside and on the inside. EX and above comes with standard Android Auto/Apple Car Play and optional Honda sensing. And although horsepower isn't breathtaking by any means in the base 2.0L engine, it just felt so much more powerful compared to the Corolla. I dished out an extra $1000 for the Honda Sensing package on my EX (which the Corolla doesn't offer), and to me it's worth every penny. Yes, the Corolla is cheaper and is a fine car, but in terms of getting the most bang for your buck, the Civic wins hands down.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Toyota makes very good cars but as others have mentioned, they're BORING!! I currently have a 2004 Prius which just hit 266,000 miles. The thing will not die (orig battery and transmission). I use the Prius as a second car. I purchased the Civic Touring 6 mos. ago and couldn't be happier. The value is incredible and I really love the styling. I never even considered the Corolla because of the bland styling, subpar engine compared to the Civic, fugly dashboard. I could go on and on. I had my heart set on a 2016 Prius but the price was over 5k more than the Touring!! I'm referred to a fully loaded Prius so it would have the same options as the Civic (sensing, sunroof etc). I could get past the ugly ass on the new Prius but the numbers just were way too high. I have not had any issues with the Civic. I know there are many complaints about the infotainment system. My only wish is that it be faster to respond to user input. I'm sure they will address that issue in subsequent models.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Very simple for me, I will NOT own an all back interior car, EVER, regardless of price, including FREE.

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Civic LX over a Corolla.

Didn't even bother test driving it as it looks bland.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Why's that?
My taste, preference, I think they are horrible and the reason car manufacturers do them is they are so cheep to do. Living here in AZ you do not want black, inside or out! You can't sell a black car here. People who move here with an all black car take a real beating getting rid of it, and they do get rid of it as quick as they can. Dealers ship them to the coast.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
So that's the opinion of the Desert People(TM)... :) Valid point. We tend towards darker colours in our temperate climate because the extra heat evaporates moisture and helps a little bit extra against rust.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'd choose a Camry over an Accord as well
Sponsored