Why did you purchase Civic EX trim over Corolla?

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Not flaming the ex trim, but curious why ppl bought 2016 civic ex over 2016 Corolla? When test driving different new cars, I couldn't help but feel the civic ex felt similar to a Corolla. Corolla was cheaper where I'm from to. But when I test drove the ex-t, I didn't look back.
Sponsored

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've driven the '15 Corolla as a rental. *Yawn* Ambien with 4 wheels.

Not a good looking car either. Just Meh. It's like it was trying to be an 8th Gen Civic with a big plastic beard tacked on. Hipster Civic. Lol

My stepdad is a Toyguy. His Corolla is tied up in the airbag recall from hell. Toyota can't get the parts to fix his, so for the last 6 months they gave him a '16 Corolla to drive free while his sits at the back of the dealer lot waiting on parts. Which I guess is a good deal for him?

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
I really like Toyota reliability. I think they are the best built cars in the world, but Toyota specializes in boring. The Civic is really fun to drive! I am getting up in age and I have a problem with pain in my right heal when driving long distances from having my foot on the gas. I knew I wanted adaptive cruise control for longer trips. It really works well in the Honda and I can drive for long distances with mostly finger input. The adaptive cruise control is only $1000 on the Civic. I tend to just set it around the speed limit and cruise in the 2nd or 3rd lane. I prefer the higher seating position of the Corolla but that is about it. On the outside the Civic looks much better. I think the visual designers deserve a big raise! I really like having android auto for navigation, Toyota does not yet offer that.

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
I went from a 2007 Toyota Yaris to a Civic. I find Toyotas to be bland in styling and not much fun to drive. I recently went back to driving the Yaris for a day, man what a POS.

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
Toyota interior designers seem fairly clueless at times. These days they are over-bolstering their seat bottom cushions so they squeeze the heck out of my legs. Corolla driver seat positioning is a bit scary too: they use a bunch of cushion tilt that hammers my thighs from below. Then again, my legs are so long, the cushion edge is hitting just past mid thigh where it would be pretty close to knee of driver's a Corolla seat is typically designed for.

I'll bet the Corolla steering is sorta video game light, especially at low speeds.

Surely the Corollas are well built and will last a super long time, but people who appreciate the finer aspects of driving ought to avoid just about all Toyotas (the current Avalons are said to be on the sharper side for driving).

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
When test driving different new cars, I couldn't help but feel the civic ex felt similar to a Corolla.
The only similarity between both cars is that they have four wheels. The Civic EX is light years ahead of the Corolla in everything. Performance, handling, ride quality, etc.

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not flaming the ex trim, but curious why ppl bought 2016 civic ex over 2016 Corolla? When test driving different new cars, I couldn't help but feel the civic ex felt similar to a Corolla. Corolla was cheaper where I'm from to. But when I test drove the ex-t, I didn't look back.
Corollas looks nice. And safe. Like for a grandma.

Civics look sexy. Bold. Sharp. Aggressive. A fiery attitude. A vivacious look, perfect for an energetic and bold individual. Someone who wants to experience the thrill. Feels amazing to just get in and start. You dream about this car. And the car dreams about turning heads. Making impressions. Wowing bystanders.

Corollas have the personality of a toaster.

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I've driven the '15 Corolla as a rental. *Yawn* Ambien with 4 wheels.

Not a good looking car either. Just Meh. It's like it was trying to be an 8th Gen Civic with a big plastic beard tacked on. Hipster Civic. Lol

My stepdad is a Toyguy. His Corolla is tied up in the airbag recall from hell. Toyota can't get the parts to fix his, so for the last 6 months they gave him a '16 Corolla to drive free while his sits at the back of the dealer lot waiting on parts. Which I guess is a good deal for him?
My decision was easy. Went into a Toytoa dealer and waited 15 minutes and no one came to help so I left without a brochure let alone a test drive. I figured if they are too busy to sell me a car, I can't imagine trying to get help from them if I had any issues afterwards.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I went from a 2007 Toyota Yaris to a Civic. I find Toyotas to be bland in styling and not much fun to drive. I recently went back to driving the Yaris for a day, man what a POS.
I plan to do the same move next summer.

Yaris Base 2007 Sedan (which is literally only an engine on 4 wheels, all manual, no power anything, no ABS, no VSA) to a fully equipped Civic Touring 2017 Sedan.

To the Yaris credits though, it has been a super reliable and non costly car for the 6 years I've had it (which was my priority when I bought it after university and before getting a job). I guess the potential for something to break in a modern car full of electronics is much higher.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The only similarity between both cars is that they have four wheels. The Civic EX is light years ahead of the Corolla in everything. Performance, handling, ride quality, etc.
I have rented a 2016 Corolla for a week for a roadtrip and was shockingly impressed. The drive was smooth and quiet, took turns effortlessly. Actually the Corolla looks great and felt sturdy. Similar cars in this price range do not differ a lot in my opinion. From a looks perspective, the civic ex wins hands down though but is it enough to justify the higher price?

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, 2016 Kia Sorento SX
Vehicle Showcase
Before I picked up my EX-L, I test drove the Corolla. It was a decent car, but the Corolla just felt smaller to me and wasn't very fun to drive. Felt I got a lot more from the Civic for what the Corolla offered too.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Before I picked up my EX-L, I test drove the Corolla. It was a decent car, but the Corolla just felt smaller to me and wasn't very fun to drive. Felt I got a lot more from the Civic for what the Corolla offered too.
Ex-t and above you really feel like it's not a Corolla. I guess I'm disappointed in the ex. Feels like a Corolla but more pricey.

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have rented a 2016 Corolla for a week for a roadtrip and was shockingly impressed. The drive was smooth and quiet, took turns effortlessly. Actually the Corolla looks great and felt sturdy. Similar cars in this price range do not differ a lot in my opinion. From a looks perspective, the civic ex wins hands down though but is it enough to justify the higher price?
Yes. If you are so concerned about price go with a peasant car. Civics are for youthful people who enjoy life and have ambitions.
Sponsored