Multaq

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX 6SPD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seriously everyone, With the rise of the aftermarket turbo options for the 1.5T engine, Why are people starting to complain about turbo lag? I dont understand it at all. REAL Honda fans will remember the days of having to rev your engine out all the way to get that rush of vtec. So why complain about turbo lag if thats what everyone is used to anyways with Hondas? Delayed power... Please enlighten me of why everyone is complaining. It doesnt make sense to me at all.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seriously everyone, With the rise of the aftermarket turbo options for the 1.5T engine, Why are people starting to complain about turbo lag? I dont understand it at all. REAL Honda fans will remember the days of having to rev your engine out all the way to get that rush of vtec. So why complain about turbo lag if thats what everyone is used to anyways with Hondas? Delayed power... Please enlighten me of why everyone is complaining. It doesnt make sense to me at all.
People complain about anything and everything (especially on the internet)... what explanation about that is needed? lol

OP
Multaq

Multaq

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX 6SPD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People complain about anything and everything (especially on the internet)... what explanation about that is needed? lol
LOL Well said

totopo

Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
that's not turbo lag. Turbo lag is the lag between when you press the gas pedal and the power is developed, independent of the RPMs. At like say 4k RPM, on an NA car, as soon as the throttle body opens, you have max power at 4k rpm in like <1 second. In a turbo car, if you go from 0 throttle to 100, then at 4k when the throttle body opens, you have like 0 boost, and so you develop like sucky less than na power until you can ramp up the exhaust and the turbo spools.

It's like the annoying torque converter lag in an automatic transmission. There is this annoying delay from when you want the power to when you get the power. So like if you are coming into a corner, and oops, you are a n00b like most drivers and went into the corner too slow because of your n00bishness like the usual a 90 degree right turn onto a freeway on-ramp and you discover you have tons of traction and you smash the gas pedal in the middle of the turn like it's gran turismo, you are basically left sitting there holding your ___ in your hand as you wait and the power doesn't come on until your car is already pointed straight again and you feel like a fool.

thatlilwhiteone

Reaction score
Car(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
that's not turbo lag. Turbo lag is the lag between when you press the gas pedal and the power is developed, independent of the RPMs. At like say 4k RPM, on an NA car, as soon as the throttle body opens, you have max power at 4k rpm in like <1 second. In a turbo car, if you go from 0 throttle to 100, then at 4k when the throttle body opens, you have like 0 boost, and so you develop like sucky less than na power until you can ramp up the exhaust and the turbo spools.

It's like the annoying torque converter lag in an automatic transmission. There is this annoying delay from when you want the power to when you get the power. So like if you are coming into a corner, and oops, you are a n00b like most drivers and went into the corner too slow because of your n00bishness like the usual a 90 degree right turn onto a freeway on-ramp and you discover you have tons of traction and you smash the gas pedal in the middle of the turn like it's gran turismo, you are basically left sitting there holding your ___ in your hand as you wait and the power doesn't come on until your car is already pointed straight again and you feel like a fool.
Down shift.

[email protected]

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Car(s)
17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I may chime in here is what I have seen.
1) For lots of 10 gen Civic owners, this is A) their first Honda Civic and/or B) their first turbo car.
2) the OEM turbo is tiny, like really really small so it has a nearly instant spool and can give the impression of driving an NA car.
3) referring to point 1B many don't understand the characteristics of a turbo car, how it drives, how it functions, and quite honestly the physics of how it works
4) Turbo lag is something to talk about and I think many want to be apart of the community and converse so they speak on what they think they can.

Just my two cents and what I and the team have seen.

Regardless we are going to do our best to educate and help everyone grow and learn the platform. from basic to experts we got everyone covered.

OP
Multaq

Multaq

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX 6SPD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I may chime in here is what I have seen.
1) For lots of 10 gen Civic owners, this is A) their first Honda Civic and/or B) their first turbo car.
2) the OEM turbo is tiny, like really really small so it has a nearly instant spool and can give the impression of driving an NA car.
3) referring to point 1B many don't understand the characteristics of a turbo car, how it drives, how it functions, and quite honestly the physics of how it works
4) Turbo lag is something to talk about and I think many want to be apart of the community and converse so they speak on what they think they can.

Just my two cents and what I and the team have seen.

Regardless we are going to do our best to educate and help everyone grow and learn the platform. from basic to experts we got everyone covered.

Great response from the people who are making these turbos. Thank you. It just bothers me hearing about turbo lag when IMO the old style Honda jolt of power at higher rpms is amazing.

totopo

Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Great response from the people who are making these turbos. Thank you. It just bothers me hearing about turbo lag when IMO the old style Honda jolt of power at higher rpms is amazing.
You are still misunderstanding. Turbo lag does not have really too much correlation with the actual max hp curve you see on a dyno. At any given RPM, you get to max TQ at that RPM quicker with NA than with turbo due to turbo spooling. That is what is referred to as turbo lag.

OP
Multaq

Multaq

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX 6SPD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are still misunderstanding. Turbo lag does not have really too much correlation with the actual max hp curve you see on a dyno. At any given RPM, you get to max TQ at that RPM quicker with NA than with turbo due to turbo spooling. That is what is referred to as turbo lag.

I know turbo lag is the delay between slamming the pedal to the floor, Hearing the turbo spool, Than getting kicked in the ass when the boost hits the cylinders

dallasjhawk

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2004 Acura TSX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont understand this thread. their is literally zero turbo lag in this small turbo, the boost is nearly instantaneous. maybe people are feeling the cvt lag, but tuning handles that, at least on the ktuner side. and if the turbo doesnt spool soon enough for you, then enable early spool. The turbo upgrades will be introducing more turbo lag because, "bigger turbo"

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I know turbo lag is the delay between slamming the pedal to the floor, Hearing the turbo spool, Than getting kicked in the ass when the boost hits the cylinders
To appreciate the stock turbo lag, you should drive a GenX turbo CVT. From my perspective, it can be a safety issue, if pulling into heavy traffic from a full stop and having the car "pause" before the power kicks in. From that perspective, one of the tuning providers (I have Ktuner V2) can eliminate the turbo lag and give a more pleasant daily driver that will be safer having an instantly responsive engine in normal driving.

jred721

First Name
James
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Honda Civic EX, '18 BMW M550i, '13 Mercedes ML350
Country flag
You also have to think about it from a certain perspective. This is one of the few Honda engines to come out without VTEC, but in lieu of that it's turbocharged. So I guess when people complain about lag (most are CVT Owners anyway) they probably have high expectations and expect instant boost to get that NA feel to make up for the lack of VTEC. Also, it's not like N/A guys don't complain either because even when driving my 2.0L, the absolute lack of bottom end power sometimes can make you irritated especially in situations where you need fast acceleration. But that being said I expect that because well, its a N/A K series engine that needs to be revved out to get anywhere.

OP
Multaq

Multaq

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX 6SPD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You also have to think about it from a certain perspective. This is one of the few Honda engines to come out without VTEC, but in lieu of that it's turbocharged. So I guess when people complain about lag (most are CVT Owners anyway) they probably have high expectations and expect instant boost to get that NA feel to make up for the lack of VTEC. Also, it's not like N/A guys don't complain either because even when driving my 2.0L, the absolute lack of bottom end power sometimes can make you irritated especially in situations where you need fast acceleration. But that being said I expect that because well, its a N/A K series engine that needs to be revved out to get anywhere.

Yea the lack of bottom end in my NA motor is horrible, People always get frustrated behind me at stop lights because it takes me a little extra time to get going, It really doesnt pick up until 3rd gear