BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't understand why people spend their money buying aftermarket exhaust?

I deleted all my resonators and straight piped the exhaust and it sounds great. It's got a nice rumble and the drone isn't obnoxious.

All the exhaust is made of is pipes. You're not really going to make more power. Unless you do the downpipe and front pipe. Most of the time it's heavier too.

I'm just curious why people spend so much money on something that doesn't really give any gains?
Sponsored

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the stock muffler/res delete sounds pretty terrible but that’s just my opinion.
I didn't delete the mufflers. I kept the mufflers and it sounds great. Just removed all the resonators and straight piped those sections.

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Reasons (not all may apply to everyone):
  • Sound
  • Looks
  • Performance
  • Weight
  • Fun
They are heavier. You don't benefit from larger piping until you're making 600whp or more. And at that point you don't want a full exhaust you would do hood exit, bumper exit, or bottom dump/cutout. When you have full exhaust on a turbo car making big numbers you lose power in a 4 cylinder turbo.

People on these forums have a lot to learn. People need to do more research. I've been in the game a long time.

That money people are wasting on exhaust systems for no benefit could have been used for something useful like Hondata, Intercooler, Intake and ect. And besides the stock exhaust can flow good to 600whp.

The only benefit I see would be the downpipe and front pipe that's where the biggest gain is at. Even if you go 3 inch on downpipe and front pipe and connect to the 2.36inch factory piping you would still make power. It's a complete waste of money otherwise. But if people want to spend big bucks for sound sure whatever. I'm more about making real world power but that's me.

I have a B series motor producing 1000whp and the motor is capable to 1500whp which I will turn it up once I go AWD. I know what I'm talking about.

While people are wasting money on exhaust systems I will be tuned with Hondata and making 600whp whenever I install Hondatas Fuel Upgrade with Corn Fuel.

hitch

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Why do anything to your car? Why not leave it stock?

It's all personal taste buddy, we all love our cars and have our own style and vision of what we like and don't like.

Doesn't matter if it's an exhaust, interior lights, sound system, stickers or valve caps.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
most do it for the sound.
res delete to me sounds horrible even worse when they do a muffler delete but each to their own its their car.
at some point i will go for the awe touring exhaust but thats later down the road think my first mode be hondata then intercooler

mdm24

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I didn't delete the mufflers. I kept the mufflers and it sounds great. Just removed all the resonators and straight piped those sections.
I did this too and I like how it sounds but exhaust sound is very subjective so just because you and I like it doesn’t mean someone else will. Just look at all the posts on the forum of people who buy aftermarket systems then decide they don’t like the sound and buy ANOTHER aftermarket system.

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did this too and I like how it sounds but exhaust sound is very subjective so just because you and I like it doesn’t mean someone else will. Just look at all the posts on the forum of people who buy aftermarket systems then decide they don’t like the sound and buy ANOTHER aftermarket system.
THIS!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't understand why people spend their money buying aftermarket exhaust?

I deleted all my resonators and straight piped the exhaust and it sounds great. It's got a nice rumble and the drone isn't obnoxious.

All the exhaust is made of is pipes. You're not really going to make more power. Unless you do the downpipe and front pipe. Most of the time it's heavier too.

I'm just curious why people spend so much money on something that doesn't really give any gains?
Some exhausts come with a front pipe. While it's true that a downpipe (we'll get to front pipe later) is the main bottleneck in terms of the power on the exhaust side of the motor, that doesn't mean there aren't any gains to be had from installing an exhaust system. Something that flows better does flow better and if a bottleneck for producing torque will lift said bottleneck. It's also true that a new exhaust system may not improve peak horsepower, that doesn't mean there is not larger gains elsewhere. Mainly, many exhaust systems will increase power in the midrange (3-5k) which for everyday driving purposes is actually going to be more important than increasing peak power.

While power typically won't be a reason to get an exhaust system for this car, the main one is going to be sound. Different exhaust systems sound differently. Some may like one over another and pay to have that. Others have features that the stock doesn't have. Active pipes that can be changed at the press of a button or a pressure-based system that opens and closes resonators based on exhaust pressure.

Regarding weight, it's a mixed bag. There are plenty of exhaust systems are are far lighter than the stock exhaust system (by upwards of 33%, sometimes more). HKS Spec-L, Remark I, plenty of titanium exhausts (Tomei USA, BoostLogic, Remark, etc.).

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I feel like it's a phase the youngins go through. Myself and many of my buddies who are auto enthusiasts had the louds exhausts and loud stereos when we were in our teens and early 20s. We all just grew out of it.
Sponsored