OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Special attention to the statement, "0w20 oil is formulated to improve fuel economy".
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
You are supposed to use the correct oil type. There’s a reason why they have that engraved into the cap.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
You are supposed to use the correct oil type. There’s a reason why they have that engraved into the cap.
Correct, too keep the fuel economy rating of said vehicle for people who care about MPG instead of better protection. "CAFE" standards.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't speak to EU vs US standards... but as long as you use the right grade oil, which you can choose based on Honda's recommendation or personal preference based on a belief based on things you have read/observed... is fine. API sticker is all is needed. The manual doesn't even talk about the different API service numbers/revisions which *do* exist. 'Premium grade' phrase is not quantified anywhere I have seen... and I've looked in the past. It's not like a 'top tier fuel/gas' statement where there's an available listing.

Honda, like all manufacturers, recommend their own fluids. Whether their's are any better I don't know (or really care, I suppose) but it holds with the company line to push their own products to get folks to take their cars back to Honda for maintenance... or at least, sell their products. Same as everyone else.

Right grade of oil with the API sticker. I don't know if you can even purchase any mainstream oil without it. Maybe some small time stuff can't (or won't) pay for the cert. They may be good... or great oils... but using them would be contrary to bold recommendation on the manual.

So between the manual you provided from EU and the one I have for me in the states... it seems like literally any oil works if it is the proper viscosity for the temperature range used, it ought to be certified by a 3rd party providing a standard testing (where, if you pass at the minimum... you're still good enough), and they really want you to buy their branded products. Sounds like everyone else to me. :thumbsup:

The idea that a thinner oil that can improve fuel economy ever so slightly is insufficient for providing engine protection and results in engine wear may be true, but I haven't seen evidence in the UOAs I've looked at years back when 5w-20 went mainstream to support it... and that was a *while* ago. You can make your head hurt talking about the short and long term effects of additives like zinc... magnesium... and any other additives and it does get down to the nitty gritty if you're pushing for very extended OCIs... pushing 15-25k miles, regardless of manufacturer recommendations.

But... if you're dumping your oil on the MM prior to hitting 0% between 4-8k miles... does it really matter? I don't know of any meanful data that has come out of UOAs from similar engines using different oil grades... or teardowns where bearing wear was measured to show any difference. In all of the internet, I'm sure it's there... but for all the stuff out there, I've not seen a trend of, 'My car is X years old with XXXk mile's and it's totally shot because of light oil.' The Ford modulars have used it a long time and there has been enough time to see Ford modulars come from their 5w-30 origins to 5w-20... they went out of production and have got a lot of years/miles on them now. They seem to have done just fine. I think enough time has gone by that has proven there has not been a significant, if at all, drop in engine durability. While it had some flaws in it's design (chain guides and intake manifold) Ford modulars in their trucks likely have lead a pretty hard life of moving around relatively heavy trucks which, in turned, were tasked with towing/hauling and placing a lot of load on it's engine... far beyond what Honda's passenger cars have on them.

IMO, oil choice is a personal one... like what soap/wax you use... and likely no more important in the scheme of actual engine longevity. If it makes a person feel good about it... that psychological benefit far exceeds any mechanical benefit the car recieves.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Amsoil doesn't have an API approval, they choose not to pay for it

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Amsoil doesn't have an API approval, they choose not to pay for it
Some of their formulations are certified. Some aren't. They were touted to be the first synthetic that was certified, in fact. Whether it's money or it's the fact it can't pass cert because some of their additives are out-of-spec high so far as the API is concerned, you can decide for yourself.

Good oil or not (and I think it's good... maybe even quite a bit better than brick and mortar oils... which are still plenty good enough, at least at standard OCIs) ...without the cert, it's technically not a recommended oil by Honda.

I've had good luck with amsoil's MTF over Honda's and 2 or 3 other makers... so I'll give them an upcheck on that. I can feel improved shifting performance on a MT, however, so to me, it has a tangible benefit.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i asked a service advisor at my honda stealershit if there would be any warranty issues if i used 5 30 instead of 0 20. he said, stright up "yes, just stick with using 0w20 just in case, so you dont have any problems with warranty claims".

so i just went and bought mobil1 0w20 today for when i do my first oil change next week. bought oem filter. im keeping all my receipts of oil and filter purchases.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
i asked a service advisor at my honda stealershit if there would be any warranty issues if i used 5 30 instead of 0 20. he said, stright up "yes, just stick with using 0w20 just in case, so you dont have any problems with warranty claims".

so i just went and bought mobil1 0w20 today for when i do my first oil change next week. bought oem filter. im keeping all my receipts of oil and filter purchases.
LOL, they would not know what you used unless you tell them.....just don't put 20w50. then they "may" know......

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
LOL, they would not know what you used unless you tell them.....just don't put 20w50. then they "may" know......
Which brings up a question that's always bothered me...

If you do your own and DO have a warranty issue down the road and they ask for PROOF that you actually did change the oil at some point... aren't they gonna want a receipt that'll probably have some info on it?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Which brings up a question that's always bothered me...

If you do your own and DO have a warranty issue down the road and they ask for PROOF that you actually did change the oil at some point... aren't they gonna want a receipt that'll probably have some info on it?
That and/or analyze the oil to determine what was in there and for how long. :)

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Owners manual for Europe, same engine used there and they have much higher oil standards than we do in the US. PLEASE don't say they have a different 1.5t, same inside but harder to find 0w20 there from what I can find.

fullsizeoutput_59.jpeg
So, I guess maybe I read in to things too much, but if the US manual for the 1.5T states to put in 0W-20 full synthetic oil, whether Honda branded or API certified, for temperatures ranging from below -20F to above 100F..... what is the reasoning and justification for using 5W-30? I have never gone wrong by putting in what Honda recommends, no matter what mods are done to the engine, short of a full rebuild with vastly different boost levels and compression.

Honda Civic 10th gen Who's using 5w/30 in their Si?? upload_2018-6-25_9-27-18

Honda Civic 10th gen Who's using 5w/30 in their Si?? upload_2018-6-25_9-28-12

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Same car in Europe says 0w30 and 5w30 can also be used, same engine. And Honda engineers will say what they are told, we know what 0w20 was designed for.....CAFE standards, 0w16 and lower are already out.......
One significant difference is that American Honda Motor Company, Inc. warrants the use of 0W-20 on US models.

Honda Motor Europe Ltd. warrants the use of "Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0" (0w-20), 5W-30, or 0W-30 on European models.

One would be wise to use only 0W-20 on US models at least until the 5-year, 60,000-mile powertrain warranty expires at which point you can pour ASTROGLIDE in the crankcase if you think it'll help.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One significant difference is that American Honda Motor Company, Inc. warrants the use of 0W-20 on US models.

Honda Motor Europe Ltd. warrants the use of "Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0" (0w-20), 5W-30, or 0W-30 on European models.

One would be wise to use only 0W-20 on US models at least until the 5-year, 60,000-mile powertrain warranty expires at which point you can pour ASTROGLIDE in the crankcase if you think it'll help.
The engine may not run better, but we all know Astroglide makes EVERYONE feel better lol.

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
DON'T SWITCH VISCOSITY! Oiling holes (orifices) in your engine are sized to match the viscosity of oil the engine has been designed to run with. Using a thicker oil will increase the time it takes for the oil to circulate the engine on startup each time. It will also cost you a little horsepower as the motor takes more effort to cut thru the heavier oil.

Sure, in a pinch at the gas station if you discover you are 3 quarts low or something and it is all they have, then sure. But I wouldn't make a practice of using a heavier oil than recommended.
Sponsored