Who is going to trade in for the GR Corolla?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
well, the peak torque comes in at 3k rpm so it cant be as bad as the sti which didnt peak till like 4k+. Power also peaks later so it wont be as bland and boring as how the stock ej25 is tuned.
That 2008 STI’s tuning was an absolute travesty that should’ve cost people their jobs. I mean, that engine was so lean in certain circumstances that it would eat itself. Just awful - which makes the bar for the GR so low, but easily doable. I had an 05 STI and can remember that car being much better tuned than the 08, but even on that tune, the old slingshot 90s powerband was hilarious.

Anyway, I’m rambling, but I’m excited for the GR, I just don’t think it’s in the same category as the R and likely won’t be a comparable feel or experience. The GR is more like an EVO in my mind, which is a good thing.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is a pass for me, but appreciate that this car exists. Thank you Toyota for contributing to the enthusiast communities options. There can never be too many manual hot hatches. Never.

The good - peppy engine, weight low for an AWD car, hatchback storage. Manual transmission. Manual handbrake. Tighter turning circle than the Type R. And AWD allows it to work in more environments. Toyota reliability. Tires may cost less, and last longer. Unless I am driving it, lol.
Bespoke engine from Toyota. A real Toyota, not a clone.

The bad - No rear legroom, like 6 inches less than the Type R. Cost unknown, but may be high, especially with ADM. Need to buy a more expensive trim. And possibly options. The Type R - other than the Limited - comes complete. Less power than the Type R with a hair more weight. Less inspiring interior. Less inspiring exterior. Doubt the seats will be as comfortable / supportive as the brilliant ones in the Type R. Built up from a Corolla. The Type R was designed and the rest of the 10th - and 11th gen Civics were scaled down but shared the same brilliant platform.

So, a contender for your enthusiast purchase. A contender, maybe not the winner. But has to be taken seriously.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
The only thing I find appealing is the AWD capability but that's all that gets my attention on this one. Still love my Type R. I'm starting to drive it more and I've barely passed 2700 miles since I got it last Sept 2020.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing I find appealing is the AWD capability but that's all that gets my attention on this one. Still love my Type R. I'm starting to drive it more and I've barely passed 2700 miles since I got it last Sept 2020.
Naa.. It will have a choppy ride. Short wheel base.

I had a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 AWD.

chrisz5z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Type R - Boost Blue
Country flag
It's interesting, definitely glad to see another hot hatch...not liking that "big chin" booty though.

Wow, got mine May 2021...already about to pass 18k miles

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
It's interesting, definitely glad to see another hot hatch...not liking that "big chin" booty though.

Wow, got mine May 2021...already about to pass 18k miles
Yup it has low miles and I can feel the clutch and everything else breaking in quite nicely now. I still can't transition smoothly from 1st to 2nd and putting it in comfort mode is more forgiving than being in sport but I do love the flick of the switch when I need that extra pep!

typerspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FJ
Country flag
Not me, I already had an AWD car (WRX STI) and it was really only fun for the launches. I plan on tuning/modifying the CTR for a modest power bump and I already like the way the Type R handles and performs. I even won a couple trophies in time trial events with the CTR, I'm still not done with the CTR yet... this journey will continue.

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
I sold my 2019 Type R for a 2022 civic SI to put some money towards a house, but after that reveal it has me thinking about selling the SI for the Corolla when it hits the market. I have my name on a list at a local Toyota dealership.
People talking shit about the 3 cylinder haven’t been following the positive feedback for the GR Yaris.

The 3 cylinder on boil hands down sounds better than most 4 cylinders, including the Type R. Also, many don’t know the GR Yaris has a faster 0-30 times than many super cars and can pull of a 12 second 1/4 time. Go watch Chris Harris’s review of the Gr Yaris.he loves the shit out of that car. The GR Carola I imagine is going to have very similar driving dynamics.

Also I attached a screenshot from a top gear review on the GR Yaris’s 0-30 performance.

Honda Civic 10th gen Who is going to trade in for the GR Corolla? 34072BB9-E1AC-4D86-B71D-42BB595E0645

Last edited:

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m gonna keep my civic si but I’m looking forward to that circuit edition. I will definitely finance one of the price is reasonable

strop

First Name
strop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY12 FK2 VTi-S, MY21 FK8 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I'm with the "I love that this is coming, but I'm sticking with my Type R" crowd. In my case, I was in fact sorely tempted by the GR Yaris, but I need a C seg that could hold up to 4 people and a lot of stuff. However, the arrival of the Corolla GR changes little for me because I love my car and I have plans for it.

My impression is that almost everybody who gets the FK8 Type R knows its pros and cons back to front and another car with almost certainly different dynamics and characteristic, as exciting as it is, won't suddenly change our minds. Hell, I would get chopped at the lights by any of the 213679587 M135is that populate my city (once was enough to know :doh:) but I'm not about to change my car because of that. If I lived in a much wetter place maybe I would have considered a different purchase from the get-go.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
A buddy of mine is gettin it for his shop, the circuit version I believe. Would be sick to see what aftermarket support is offered for this vehicle over the next few years

Blackhalo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra GSR
Country flag
Not trading one in, but I'm in the Market for a '23 Type R or GR.

Looking to replace my EVO X I sold in '15. I'm personally leaning towards the GR and want to try for the circuit edition. The nerd in me also likes they will still be manufactured in Japan.

These cars are a dying breed though, glad to see Toyota is doing it. It's good for all of us.
Sponsored