Who here has had a GenX Si for a short time, but has either traded or thinking of trading it in?

Verdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si HFP, infiniti Q60S
Country flag
I've looked around but am not seeing anything new that's worth the price of an upgrade at the moment. I trade out cars every few years and have owned a bunch of sports cars in my lifetime. In the past 15 years I've gone from: 2005 Boxster S to 2008 Audi TT to 2012 Mustang 5.0 to 2013 MX5 to 2014 SLK to 2018 Si HFP. IMHO, for such a small investment the Si had been a great choice because it is as much fun to drive as any of the others. It's hard to fully compare these cars because they all offered different driving experiences, benefits, issues and costs to operate. I have a Q60 for long highway trips with the wife and it is quick in sport mode but not nearly as engaging to drive. I'm 55ish, kids are almost out of college and I intend to hang up my daily working spurs in a couple of years. I may trade the Si for a low mileage Cayman S or Factory 5 Cobra at that time for fun drives and weekend trips. Probably will choose the Cobra (or something like it) because the main issue I found with the Boxster S (which is pretty much the same as the Cayman) was that it was too balanced - almost boring; you had to be going crazy fast to really enjoy it. The Si is more fun to drive at much lower speeds.
Sponsored

y2kprofesor

First Name
marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I pulled the trigger and traded my 17 SI for 19 Volkswagen gli 35th. I got 18k for my civic as a trade in with 20k miles on it.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I pulled the trigger and traded my 17 SI for 19 Volkswagen gli 35th. I got 18k for my civic as a trade in with 20k miles on it.
I think the GLI feels more refined and comfortable then the Civic. The engine sound (although electronically enhanced) sounds better. I've long preferred VW's interiors. Reliability and resale value are my two objections.

Reactions: mjh

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had my Si for about 18 months now and am trying to determine what to do. The Lexus RC350 F Sports look so awesome. But, driving experience and MPG are totally different. I have also thought about seeing what the WRX offers in its next iteration, or maybe going a different route altogether and trading for a Passport or Ridgeline and then just buying a fun project car.

However, every time I start looking at other cars, I eventually ask myself why I actually want to get out of this car and into another one. It's such a perfect daily driver. I think, for me, the reason I always start shopping around is that the Si is not necessarily a far and away leader in any exciting category. It offers A TON for the price and is absolutely a great vehicle. But, it's not a fast car by modern standards. It looks great, but it's not necessarily snapping necks in traffic. Interior is great but not really comparable to a more luxury-oriented vehicle. MPG and reliability are great, but not exciting.

I think those of us that shop around are really happy with the car, but want to pony up more cash for a different car that might excel at something the Si only offers as a great value.

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
I have had my Si for about 18 months now and am trying to determine what to do. The Lexus RC350 F Sports look so awesome. But, driving experience and MPG are totally different. I have also thought about seeing what the WRX offers in its next iteration, or maybe going a different route altogether and trading for a Passport or Ridgeline and then just buying a fun project car.

However, every time I start looking at other cars, I eventually ask myself why I actually want to get out of this car and into another one. It's such a perfect daily driver. I think, for me, the reason I always start shopping around is that the Si is not necessarily a far and away leader in any exciting category. It offers A TON for the price and is absolutely a great vehicle. But, it's not a fast car by modern standards. It looks great, but it's not necessarily snapping necks in traffic. Interior is great but not really comparable to a more luxury-oriented vehicle. MPG and reliability are great, but not exciting.

I think those of us that shop around are really happy with the car, but want to pony up more cash for a different car that might excel at something the Si only offers as a great value.
You really hit the nail on the head for exactly how I feel about my Si.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

Buy a used (used is the keyword here) Lexus IS Type F or IS 350, or even 300 (any year), and you will never want to drive another car again....

OK let me go back to my hibernation state....

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I think the GLI feels more refined and comfortable then the Civic. The engine sound (although electronically enhanced) sounds better. I've long preferred VW's interiors. Reliability and resale value are my two objections.
This is my perspective too. The interior of the GLI looks nice to me. Virtual cockpit is pretty sweet. Overall, it's a really compelling package. But...do I want to deal with questionable VW reliability, versus the (more or less) known quantity of the Si?

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buy a used (used is the keyword here) Lexus IS Type F or IS 350, or even 300 (any year), and you will never want to drive another car again....

OK let me go back to my hibernation state....
Those IS 350's look real nice as well. But, I want to stay in the coupe realm :).

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Prepare your drool bucket https://www.carmax.com/car/18165925

Carmax is obviously not where I'd buy one. But, they are just so damn sharp. Would be hard for me to go the IS route vs. the RC route.

Also, I really didn't expect to be further persuaded to leave the civicx scene on the civicx forum lol.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Prepare your drool bucket https://www.carmax.com/car/18165925

Carmax is obviously not where I'd buy one. But, they are just so damn sharp. Would be hard for me to go the IS route vs. the RC route.

Also, I really didn't expect to be further persuaded to leave the civicx scene on the civicx forum lol.
I'm already in trouble here with some members, please don't get me in any more hot water :cloud:

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I've looked around but am not seeing anything new that's worth the price of an upgrade at the moment.
Tell me about it. Im in a 2015 wrx ive had for 5+ years now. Stage 2, car runs great and is still awesome, but after 5 years im ready to move on to a new car and project. The car it's starting to show some wear now and i hane quite a few maintenance items and some part that need to be replaced soon if i keep it.

I cannot for the life of me find 1 suitable replacement. Like the Si, the wrx is basically the best and only car in its class. All the other cars i like, or would consider are $50k and have horrible depreciation- audi s3, volvo s60 r.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I'm just lucky I got my 17 Si for cheap from a friend so I'm prob good for the next 2-3 years. I'm only going to buy used from now on, I'll be looking at cars like the Kia Stinger, Civic Sport Hatch, Lexus IS(Amirza has me convinced!)..Like a lot of you I could be persuaded if they ever come out with a really nice looking Civic Si Hatch!

Boss240

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2018 Explorer Sport
Country flag
Well after numerous attempts at contacting Eman I decided I dont think he will ever get back to me in regards to buying his clutch kit.

So I got a 3rd party dealer buyout quote. It was about $17,600ish so I had my lease broker buy it out and get me a 2019 Audi S4 premium. Figured I'd go AWD and auto that way my wife can drive it too if need be.

Still love my Civic SI but I think once the Audi arrives I'll forget about it quickly. You guys on this forum are great.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Well after numerous attempts at contacting Eman I decided I dont think he will ever get back to me in regards to buying his clutch kit.

So I got a 3rd party dealer buyout quote. It was about $17,600ish so I had my lease broker buy it out and get me a 2019 Audi S4 premium. Figured I'd go AWD and auto that way my wife can drive it too if need be.

Still love my Civic SI but I think once the Audi arrives I'll forget about it quickly. You guys on this forum are great.
That’s odd I spoke to him several times today via IG
Sponsored