Who has taken delivery of a 2020 Type R?

Goentzelm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI; (May 2020, 2020 type R)
Country flag
I pose this question as I have placed my order and deposit in Early January 2020, with an initial delivery promise of late April early May. The sales manager said regional told him the card didn’t start production until mid March.

My dealership is small and I feel that they haven't really handled ordering something like this before. I guess this is what I get for shopping local and small. Lol
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I picked mine up May 22nd, give or take. No pre-order. Bought it the day before it arrived. Have no idea if it was the first 2020 they had gotten or not. Do know that about 4-5 others arrived in town the same week to other dealers. So not that their was a glut, but no shortage here.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I pose this question as I have placed my order and deposit in Early January 2020, with an initial delivery promise of late April early May. The sales manager said regional told him the card didn’t start production until mid March.

My dealership is small and I feel that they haven't really handled ordering something like this before. I guess this is what I get for shopping local and small. Lol
Be patient imo - not like they could have predicted impact of the pandemic on getting a vehicle here. Things change - just spend the time waiting reading up on your new car :)

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
There are people on here with access to the Honda system that can see estimated delivery date of a car arriving to a particular dealership. If someone will offer to help you (including your dealer) that’s one good way to get a general idea. Many of us were stuck with cars produced before Swindon shut down. We could tell the cars actually got shipped and then they were stuck in port. Anyway, the tracking is nowhere near UPS, FedEx etc but it’s better than nothing. Ask the dealer what the estimated build or delivery date is. Watching that date and how it moves is your best indicator early on as to what’s happening with your car. Average seems to be 1-2 months from being built to in your possession. Others may correct me based on their experiences.

OP
OP

Goentzelm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Be patient imo - not like they could have predicted impact of the pandemic on getting a vehicle here. Things change - just spend the time waiting reading up on your new car :)
Yes, this is true and I should, but for me it was a numbers game and I was trying to get in early for a lower number. It’s just the lying that I can’t stand. They told me that the hold up was with the boat and the factory was shut down, which is true, but if they had submitted the order then later orders in my region shouldn’t already be filled. That’s my issue. I guess #thirdworldwarlordproblems or #firstworldmiddleclassproblems. Lol

OP
OP

Goentzelm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are people on here with access to the Honda system that can see estimated delivery date of a car arriving to a particular dealership. If someone will offer to help you (including your dealer) that’s one good way to get a general idea. Many of us were stuck with cars produced before Swindon shut down. We could tell the cars actually got shipped and then they were stuck in port. Anyway, the tracking is nowhere near UPS, FedEx etc but it’s better than nothing. Ask the dealer what the estimated build or delivery date is. Watching that date and how it moves is your best indicator early on as to what’s happening with your car. Average seems to be 1-2 months from being built to in your possession. Others may correct me based on their experiences.
I was trying to get them to track that, I’m just trying to find out when the latest order was placed and filled. If I placed it in January then technically I should’ve had a car in May, at the latest, when supply lines opened up.
The factory was shut down, but only for two weeks. I stalked and befriended workers in the factory on social media. I think at times I go to far. Lol

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had my Boost Blue for about 3 weeks, it seems to be hard to find all other colors are in stock in most areas.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I got mine May 30th, it had arrived at that dealer on May 26th. I did have to make a 3.5 hour drive to get it without markup though.

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
....................placed my order and deposit in Early January 2020, with an initial delivery promise of late April early May.............My dealership is small.................
Dealerships in NA, are given specific allocations by manufacturers and are bound to take them. The smaller the company, the less cars assigned to them. Sales volume is the name of the game.
When you gave your deposit in January, Honda had no intentions of shutting down CTR Swindon production. It happened and the supply pipeline has suffered, temporarily.
1st you should ask the Sales Manager, what number you are on the waitlist. If you're first but wanting a specific color, the wait could be a bit longer.
Dealership know an approximate number of CTR'S they will be allocated, but not color, until a VIN number is assigned. Therefore, 2nd, you should obtain a VIN #.
If they give you one, demand a copy of Honda's Sold Vehicle Status Report which ALL Honda dealers have access too. If they can't generate a VIN, it means that the specific color you are after has not been produced and assigned to your dealer - yet.
Fair to note that dealers trade with each other. If they do it while the cars are at the factory, on the ship or at port before being trucked out, it's a straight trade and no additional costs involved. You may want to explore going this route.
Good luck and hope this helps you obtain some tangible results!!!:)

Last edited:

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
Damn..i called random dealers back on april 20th...found one with a boost blue enroute so put deposit on it same day. Picked up 2 weeks ago few hrs after it came off truck
Honda Civic 10th gen Who has taken delivery of a 2020 Type R? 20200529_175911

Broin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW Type R, '19 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
My delivery date was supposed to be 5/31. Delayed nearly two weeks due to COVID-19 and protests. Picking up on Thursday or Friday. The frustrating part has been that the car is already in Washington at a local depot. They just haven't transferred it from the depot to the dealership for some reason... On the bright side, they're throwing in a couple of accessories for the delay.

OP
OP

Goentzelm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My delivery date was supposed to be 5/31. Delayed nearly two weeks due to COVID-19 and protests. Picking up on Thursday or Friday. The frustrating part has been that the car is already in Washington at a local depot. They just haven't transferred it from the depot to the dealership for some reason... On the bright side, they're throwing in a couple of accessories for the delay.
Just got off the phone with the salesman and they don’t want my patronage. I don’t want to wait anymore and I’m not going to take the $10 oil changes for life when I had that on my last two cars just for walking in the door.
After today I just think they could’ve done better.
Sponsored