White Orchid Pearl - Night + Rain

hondabuildquality

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
69
Reaction score
31
Location
California
Car(s)
Honda Civic
Those bigger rims/tires give that car such a muscular look, and that's also a tasteful design. Looks so good on white. Well done.

How much has it affected your gas mileage, if you don't mind me asking?



Advertisement


 
OP
Civ

Civ

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
65
Reaction score
48
Location
Bay Area, CA
Car(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
Follow up and full disclosure:

I made an error in calculating the wheel size and tire size. While 90% of the time, under regular driving, the monster 18x9.5" + 255/40/18 combination worked well, the other 10% of the time I was getting some light rubbing on the inner fender walls of all four tires. Mostly in the front, but when going over dips all four would rub. A costly mistake, no doubt.

I took my car to a shop that works on track and race cars to see what my options were.

1. Rolling the fenders? Definitely not my first choice, and I was told that it may result in buckling since our fenders are very thin already at the place where fenders normally get the roll treatment.

2. Adjust camber? Unfortunately not an option since we have no lowering springs at this time, and (as was explained to me) camber bolts will not work with our cars.

3. Thinner tires? This may or may not work. When deciding between trying new wheels vs. trying new tires, I chose the former.

4. New wheels? This was my choice. I chose to go with 18x8 wheels all around, and seeing if I can keep the 255's on them. This worked just fine in the back, but the fronts were still close to the fender walls on full turn, so I went with 225's up front.

There are two issues to consider when upgrading wheels - wheel width and wheel offset (wheel diameter is a choice also, but most will stick with 17" or 18" wheels, presumably). Wheel width at 9.5" is too wide for our cars. I would not go any higher than 8.5" for worry-free driving. In the front I would not go lower than +40 for offset. In the back, +35 to +40 with an 8-8.5" wheel with 235-255 width tires is the optimal range.

I have a new setup now - and it's a killer. I'll post photos soon!
 
Last edited:

[email protected]

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2016
Messages
187
Reaction score
80
Location
Chicagoland
Car(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
tires are the answer dude. I has 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 on a lexus sc300 that's a huge car compared to the civic and I put a 225 on the 9.5 and a 245 on the 10.5 your going to have the stretch the tires to make it not rub.
 

Honda4LifeAU

Number 1 Honda Fan from Australia
Joined
Mar 22, 2016
Messages
49
Reaction score
46
Location
Sydney
Car(s)
Civic FD K20, Jazz GE
It was so obvious you were going to have issues with tires rubbing. Sounds like a costly mistake....

Where are the new photos?
 
OP
Civ

Civ

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
65
Reaction score
48
Location
Bay Area, CA
Car(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
Live and learn.

Pics soon.
 

Advertisement












Advertisement


Top