Whirring/whining noise from turbo?

dlee1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Honda Sensing
I'm really new to CVTs and turbocharged engines, so please pardon my ignorance. :)

I got an EX-T about a week ago, but I didn't really notice until now that if I slightly press the accelerator pedal while coasting at certain speeds, I hear some kind of whirring/whining sound as if something inside the car is spooling up. Looking at the turbo boost gauge, every time I hear that sound, the bars on the gauge go up.

This whirring/whining sound is quite faint, but it is noticeable enough for me to hear. I may have answered my own question here, but is this a normal sound for a turbocharged engine? It's not annoying or bothersome, but I was just curious.
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it corresponds to the turbo gauge than it's probably the turbo. Although I do get a small whine from what I believe to be my cvt above 4k rpms.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All normal turbo sounds and they're awesome. I love when you're slowing down at a light or a stop sign with your windows down and you can hear the turbo winding down. Sounds almost like a mini jet engine. Then when you really hit the gas it goes from a slight whine to a loud whooshing.

OP
OP

dlee1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Honda Sensing
All normal turbo sounds and they're awesome. I love when you're slowing down at a light or a stop sign with your windows down and you can hear the turbo winding down. Sounds almost like a mini jet engine. Then when you really hit the gas it goes from a slight whine to a loud whooshing.
I do agree that it is a cool sound. Now that I think about it after you mentioned it, it kind of does sound like a jet engine. And on multiple occasions, after slowing down in traffic and taking off again, I can really feel the boost; the car just shoots forward once the revs build up. It's a great feeling.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try cruising in L mode, you can really hear the turbo whine, very nice!

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed the op's noise is turbo related, the whine above 4k that I'm referring to is definitely not turbo related though, I've got the injen sri, my turbo is very noticeable, separate noise. I'll try to get video but I doubt the noise will be audible.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed the op's noise is turbo related, the whine above 4k that I'm referring to is definitely not turbo related though, I've got the injen sri, my turbo is very noticeable, separate noise. I'll try to get video but I doubt the noise will be audible.
I've seen some YouTube videos of the SRI. I want to get one but I'm kinda worried about how it might affect the warranty should I run into engine related problems

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen some YouTube videos of the SRI. I want to get one but I'm kinda worried about how it might affect the warranty should I run into engine related problems
Just put the factory box back before the dealer sees it hahaha, after you've done it once it's honestly a half hour job.

Jukeboxx13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit
Country flag
Dont have a turbo but try this.

Go somewhere quite and then turn ac on and listen for the whining and then turn it off again. My CVT Fit makes a whining nose which turned out to be the AC.

Last edited:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My manual turbo doesn't whine at all. I hear something from the AC compressor when it's working at full load.

Tuishimi

Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, Rally Red, 6 spd manual
Vehicle Showcase
I hear a definite whine, usually between 2500 and 3000 RPMs is when it is most noticable, I figure when it is spooling up and down as it happens accelerating and decelerating.

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX-T Sedan. If I am driving around 35 mph, and I lightly press the accelerator, I hear the whining sound. My AC is off, no fan or anything, it's definitely the turbo. If I accelerate hard, then let off suddenly, I can hear it loudly, then slowly fading down to nothing.
Sponsored