First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was commuting to college today in eco and drive mode for about 20 miles and everything sounded fine until I drove back home. At low rpms when accelerating I hear this audible electric whining sound coming from either the alternator or transmission but once I hit higher mphs or go above 3k rpms it goes away. So I am wondering why this is the case and if anyone has ever had this problem before.
Sponsored

Tomyabo225

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
I was commuting to college today in eco and drive mode for about 20 miles and everything sounded fine until I drove back home. At low rpms when accelerating I hear this audible electric whining sound coming from either the alternator or transmission but once I hit higher mphs or go above 3k rpms it goes away. So I am wondering why this is the case and if anyone has ever had this problem before.
I posted about this a while ago myself. What rpm does it start at? Mine is around 1500. I can only really here it between 10-30mph and only during as I'm accelerating. There's never any sound when keeping constant.

Nothing ever came of my issue, it's still there though. A few others posted similar whine/whirr sounds too, though I'm not sure what happened with them.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT?
Mine does it too.
A slight audible whine sound from CVT push belt at low speeds.
Totally normal.

OP
OP
TheMarkedOne

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, it is a very slight whine. It starts at 1500 and goes away around 2500 or when I hit 25-30 mph. Thank goodness I thought it was a problem since I usually drive with music so it drowns out that noise so when I first started hearing it I was a bit worried.

Last edited:

Tomyabo225

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
Yeah, it is a very slight whine. It starts at 1500 and goes away around 2500 or when I hit 25-30 mph. Thank goodness I thought it was a problem since I usually drive with music so it drowns out that noise so when I first started hearing it I was a bit worried.
I was paranoid that it was the turbo at first. After doing a bunch of research I realized that a turbo problem would be way louder. My noise is only really noticable with music off and windows up

When did your noise start? Mine was after a year.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Does it change in pitch?
I think it does rise in pitch slightly. It’s a very faint sound as it is and could be quite easy to miss if you weren’t listening for it.

OP
OP
TheMarkedOne

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was paranoid that it was the turbo at first. After doing a bunch of research I realized that a turbo problem would be way louder. My noise is only really noticable with music off and windows up

When did your noise start? Mine was after a year.
Whenever I stopped playing music in the car haha. So maybe after half a year?

onixxxroc

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic cvt 1.5t
Country flag
Hello, my honda civic 1.5 hutchback cvt sounds similar to the turbine turbo, the sound is present even in the lever position N, I tried it on a downhill very slowly in N and it sounded too, between 3 km / h and 10 km / h then disappears the sound ..... I have tested in nS and D and it makes the same sound ..... I have been 2000km since I realized it and the sound has not been accentuated or diminished, it is just there .... when I was driving one night without noise or cars or air conditioning .... I would like some of those present to tell me if it is within normal limits .... at the dealership they told me that it was within normal limits in the CVT but not I know .... the car is going very well without failures or anything, greetings and thanks!

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
Hello, my honda civic 1.5 hutchback cvt sounds similar to the turbine turbo, the sound is present even in the lever position N, I tried it on a downhill very slowly in N and it sounded too, between 3 km / h and 10 km / h then disappears the sound ..... I have tested in nS and D and it makes the same sound ..... I have been 2000km since I realized it and the sound has not been accentuated or diminished, it is just there .... when I was driving one night without noise or cars or air conditioning .... I would like some of those present to tell me if it is within normal limits .... at the dealership they told me that it was within normal limits in the CVT but not I know .... the car is going very well without failures or anything, greetings and thanks!
I have a 2017 Civic Touring with CVT and I have not heard this sound unless I have my HVAC fan running (which I think is a different sound that what you are talking about). The car has 32,000 miles or about 51,500 kms. I had the CVT fluid drained and refilled about 500 miles ago and it really helped smooth the transmission. However, my car might be the anomaly because I have read several forum members mention this sound and it is considered normal. The only time I would be concerned if the sound keeps getting loud, in which case the CVT could be on its way out.

onixxxroc

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic cvt 1.5t
Country flag
[QUOTE = "2017touring, publicaciĂłn: 927459, miembro: 35796"]
Tengo un Civic Touring 2017 con CVT y no he escuchado este sonido a menos que tenga mi ventilador HVAC en funcionamiento (que creo que es un sonido diferente al que estás hablando). El coche tiene 32.000 millas o unos 51.500 kms. Hice vaciar y rellenar el líquido CVT hace unas 500 millas y realmente ayudó a suavizar la transmisión. Sin embargo, mi coche podría ser la anomalía porque he leído que varios miembros del foro mencionan este sonido y se considera normal. La única vez que me preocuparía si el sonido sigue aumentando, en cuyo caso el CVT podría estar saliendo.
[/CITAR]

I have a 2017 Civic Touring with CVT and I have not heard this sound unless I have my HVAC fan running (which I think is a different sound that what you are talking about). The car has 32,000 miles or about 51,500 kms. I had the CVT fluid drained and refilled about 500 miles ago and it really helped smooth the transmission. However, my car might be the anomaly because I have read several forum members mention this sound and it is considered normal. The only time I would be concerned if the sound keeps getting loud, in which case the CVT could be on its way out.
tahnks touring for your answer, i think that this sound is only in hutchback but not in all......the sound is this , similar to the tom yabo

i really hope that anybody can help me because i pay a lot of € for this car and hope no crash cvt....than you!!very mucha
Deigo R

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
[QUOTE = "2017touring, publicaciĂłn: 927459, miembro: 35796"]
Tengo un Civic Touring 2017 con CVT y no he escuchado este sonido a menos que tenga mi ventilador HVAC en funcionamiento (que creo que es un sonido diferente al que estás hablando). El coche tiene 32.000 millas o unos 51.500 kms. Hice vaciar y rellenar el líquido CVT hace unas 500 millas y realmente ayudó a suavizar la transmisión. Sin embargo, mi coche podría ser la anomalía porque he leído que varios miembros del foro mencionan este sonido y se considera normal. La única vez que me preocuparía si el sonido sigue aumentando, en cuyo caso el CVT podría estar saliendo.
[/CITAR]

tahnks touring for your answer, i think that this sound is only in hutchback but not in all......the sound is this , similar to the tom yabo

i really hope that anybody can help me because i pay a lot of € for this car and hope no crash cvt....than you!!very mucha
Deigo R
I most definitely do not have this sound. Almost sounds like an electric turbine winding up. What is your current odometer? I would try a drain and fill of the transmission oil and see if it helps at all. Good luck

onixxxroc

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic cvt 1.5t
Country flag
I most definitely do not have this sound. Almost sounds like an electric turbine winding up. What is your current odometer? I would try a drain and fill of the transmission oil and see if it helps at all. Good luck
yes i do it change oil but nothing, teh sound is ;(((((thank you friend

onixxxroc

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic cvt 1.5t
Country flag
Hello again, today I tested a car just like mine at the dealership, they called me because it makes the same sound as mine but the one I have tried makes it lower sound .... the one I tested only had 20000km and I think it was one of the new reestilyngs, because when I got in I couldn't hear anything outside, it was all much more soundproof unlike mine which is from 2017 hutchback and you hear even a grain on the road hahaha, well the case we have tried it and it makes exactly the same noise, mine makes it more and of course I also have double the 41000 km ... and apparently they only sound in the hutchaback the dealer has told me, in the others not ... a greeting.

chriser0

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Guys, I'm pretty sure is the AC system you are hearing. There is a TSB about this.
Sponsored