Which shifter?

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I want to improve the feel.of my shifter. I'm looking for a shorter throw and slightly stiffer return. I've been looking at the full acuity assembly, but that seems overkill for me. I've been considering their stage 2 kit instead.

I was wondering what mods you guys have done to improve the shifter feel? What setup would you recommend for a weekend canyon carver/daily commuter?
Sponsored

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Civic Type R shifter - $45
Acuity centering spring - $25
Acuity base bushings - $30
Perrin RMM insert - $30

World of difference for the $130 spent, smooth, shorter throw shiftng without any of the "rubbery" feel of the original stock shifter, positive gear selection. The new 2020 CTR shifter has an even shorter throw. Didn't do the Stage 1 kit because of the mixed reviews on whether having the transmission bushing actually made that much of an improvement over the OEM bushings to spend another $70.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2020CivicSI

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Perrin RMM insert - $30

World of difference for the $130 spent, smooth, shorter throw shiftng without any of the "rubbery" feel of the original stock shifter, positive gear selection. The new 2020 CTR shifter has an even shorter throw. Didn't do the Stage 1 kit because of the mixed reviews on whether having the transmission bushing actually made that much of an improvement over the OEM bushings to spend another $70.
Is the type-r shifter a bolt on? I read somewhere that it puts the shifter cables at a weird angle on the SI.

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Is the type-r shifter a bolt on? I read somewhere that it puts the shifter cables at a weird angle on the SI.
It’s a direct replacement for your SI shifter. Only if you try and add a short shift adapter to shorten the CTR shifter even more will it make the angle of the cable angled enough to cause issues.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Keep in mind the Si shifter w/ the short shift adapter will have shorter throws than the CTR shifter (and probably even the revised CTR shifter). I have the CTR shifter w/ full Acuity bits and love it. I went w/ the CTR since it was cheaper than the short shift adapter and feel the shifts are short enough. The stiffer centering spring and shift rocker make a world of difference.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
It’s a bolt on affair. I believe you’re misunderstanding the full issue. Short shifter for cable operated transmissions, extend the mount point on the lever. The more extension the shorter the throw. When the cable is mounted to extended away, the shitfer puts the cable as such a severe angle that it’ll bind and feel unpleasant. Eventually it’ll wear the cable out. For me this was first seen in early accords and preludes with the dc sports short shift adapter(same concept).

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Perrin RMM insert - $30

Just wanted to chime in about the cable bushings. They’re totally worth it. I did this upgrade before the rest of the acuity and Type R shifter bits and boy those bushings made a huge difference. Highly highly recommend doing those cable bushings, even if it was the only part out of the entire Acuity kit.
Sponsored