Which new Civic model would you buy? And why?

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want Android Auto and Carplay so I guess the EX is my most affordable option. Was planning to lease it and didn't want to pay a ton but considering I'll be trying to get it at launch I don't think any dealership would be willing to negotiate much. Might have to throw some dough down. Bah. Shame Honda holds the display back until you get to the more expensive trims.

Maybe it won't be so bad :/
Same here minus the lease. I might tack on Honda Sensing to an EX (if available, though it looks like the Accord lets you add it to the EX) just to get some extra bits. The EX and up have the Push Button start, correct? Would I be looking at $22K-$23K for the EX with Honda Sensing?

Also, any thoughts on the LED lights in the non-Touring trim levels? Really in love with the looks but don't need the added benefits of the Touring.
Sponsored

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Same here minus the lease. I might tack on Honda Sensing to an EX (if available, though it looks like the Accord lets you add it to the EX) just to get some extra bits. The EX and up have the Push Button start, correct? Would I be looking at $22K-$23K for the EX with Honda Sensing?

Also, any thoughts on the LED lights in the non-Touring trim levels? Really in love with the looks but don't need the added benefits of the Touring.
The 2015 Civic EX CVT lists for $22k flat with destination. The 2016 is going to have all sorts of improvements, including CarPlay, etc. I'm thinking it'll be at least 22.5 and maybe more. And that's for the 2.0. Honda Sensing will add c. $1000 to that, making the total 23.5, but if you want turbo as well, maybe closer to 24.5....?

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 2015 Civic EX CVT lists for $22k flat with destination. The 2016 is going to have all sorts of improvements, including CarPlay, etc. I'm thinking it'll be at least 22.5 and maybe more. And that's for the 2.0. Honda Sensing will add c. $1000 to that, making the total 23.5, but if you want turbo as well, maybe closer to 24.5....?
Sounds about right with what I was thinking. I'll probably skip on the Turbo as there's not a ton of appeal to me, though if the price is right, I might just go in on it. Guess we'll find out soon, though!

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
For me...its likely to be the SI Sedan...either in Modern Steel, Orchid White or whichever Red or Blue is offered on the SI sedan this go around.

I was hoping to get into the hatchback...but after seeing the spyshots and the styling. It's gonna be the sedan for me. The hatchback will not offer the versatility of competitors and just isn't worth it to me.

Can't wait to find out the specs of the new SI. If I don't go SI and end up with an automatic I'll likely go with an EX-L. Unless the Tourings options are worthwhile.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Waiting on the Si Coupe, probably in Rallye red. I'm in love with the CivicX rendering of it. Like most of the Si guys here I'm really hoping for the 2.0L turbo engine. 1.5T just isn't much displacement to work with, even for a turbo.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
For me...its likely to be the SI Sedan...either in Modern Steel, Orchid White or whichever Red or Blue is offered on the SI sedan this go around.

I was hoping to get into the hatchback...but after seeing the spyshots and the styling. It's gonna be the sedan for me. The hatchback will not offer the versatility of competitors and just isn't worth it to me.

Can't wait to find out the specs of the new SI. If I don't go SI and end up with an automatic I'll likely go with an EX-L. Unless the Tourings options are worthwhile.
That modern steel is definitely my favorite so far, really shows off the lines of the car IMO, followed by the regular silver.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Despite that we haven't seen it yet, I'd go for the Coupe LX CVT.

Coupe:
- Best looking body style, full-length LED taillights
- Shortest
LX:
- Lightest
- Most fuel efficient powertrain

Personally prefer:
- No turbo or direct injection
- No LaneWatch (goofy side mirror) and other unnecessary electronics/tech
- Basic radio interface
- Cloth seats
- Non-leather steering wheel

Can customize with handling/appearance upgrades from Touring/Si/Type-R

Red Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Despite that we haven't seen it yet, I'd go for the Coupe LX CVT.

Coupe:
- Best looking body style, full-length LED taillights
- Shortest
LX:
- Lightest
- Most fuel efficient powertrain

Personally prefer:
- No turbo or direct injection
- No LaneWatch (goofy side mirror) and other unnecessary electronics/tech
- Basic radio interface
- Cloth seats
- Non-leather steering wheel

Can customize with handling/appearance upgrades from Touring/Si/Type-R
Your list looks almost exactly like mine would if I opt for a 2016 (as opposed to waiting). Assuming no 5 door hatch except for the Type R, I'm waiting on the coupe. Even if a 5 door comes out in regular trim I would have to see if it looks better. I have a feeling from the renders it will be the best of all worlds in size and shape. I'd have to go with Modern Steel or Cosmic Blue.

BakedTuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic Si EP3
I think I will be looking for a Si sedan. The Type R is appealing but likely beyond what I am willing and able to spend. The sedan's extra two doors will be easier on my sons than my current 2002 Ep3 hatchback. Plus I have seen the sedan in person and think it looks great. First one I got to see was in white looked terrific, which is saying something because usually I think white looks good on refrigerators not cars. But the last few days I have been getting to see a black sedan and I am coming around to the thought of a four door Si. Preferably in gray or silver. Manual or DCT will be my only choices for transmissions.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
The family HR-V is a nice car but I'm looking forward to the Si Coupe! Loved the concept coupe and loved what we're seeing from the preview renderings. It'll also be nice to have the coupe-exclusive connected rear tail lights. Hoping they come out with 1 or 2 coupe Si exclusive colors. Pricing is of course a concern and still unknown. The lower standard models we know won't increase much in price but the price point could still move plenty on higher trim models and of course performance models.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Depending on what exactly is in them, I am considering either an EX 2.0 or EX-T.

I hope the Turbo comes with the led lights, which I believe it will.

I'm not into leather at all, and I'm not really into the whole Honda sensing suite of goodies if I have a choice.

Definitely do not want or need navigation.

When Monday rolls around we will all know more!

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
I will have to get at the minimum ex as car play etc is some of my wants, I don't really care for or want leather. It will be either sedan or hatchback for sure

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
And so that's the one I think I want right now, the new 2016 Civic EX-T Civic, which I hope will have an msrp of maybe about $23.5k. This car is what I think of as the Luxo Civic Si—but with a turbo and an automatic.
?
personally I wouldn't go with that car if its prices at 23.5k msrp. That's ball park what the SI costs right now. Granted if you HAVE to have an automatic then I understand but most of the features you get on an ex you get in an SI. If it was 2k cheaper than I would consider if I wanted an automatic.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will be looking at the Touring Hatchback. Like the looks and practicality of the hatchback. Word from my dealer is it won't be available until the spring. Hoping it isn't so low that getting in and out is annoying. If it is I'll reload and look for the 1.5 Turbo put into the HRV.

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
For me, the sweet spot on the dial seems to be the 2016 Civic EX with the Turbo. Here's what I already posted in the price thread about how the EX is a good deal over the LX:

As usual, Honda has very carefully crafted the equipment levels and msrps for the 2016 Civic so that there's great value at every level. Every level seems like a "sweet spot" in terms of the kind of car and features you're getting for the money. But, that having been said, the EX does stand out a little because of the unusual $150 price cut. Something I do once in a while to waste time is see how much the features of a higher level of Honda are subjectively worth to me compared to a lower level. And comparing the EX CVT to the LX CVT on the 2016 Civic it seems like the $1600 price difference is a very good deal. If things on the 2016 Civic are similar to the 2015, here are some key features you get by moving to an EX, and after that is my subjective number for how much that feature might be worth to me personally (which would be different for everyone, of course):

smart entry/pushbutton start: $800
moonroof/sunroof: $800
Lanewatch: $400
larger alloy wheels/upgraded tires: $600
AndroidAuto/CarPlay: $800 (hoping this gets thrown in at the EX level)
HondaLink: $200
4 more speakers + 20 watts for stereo: $200
60/40 split rear seat: $200
upgraded EX fabric (?): $200

Am I missing other features? Anyway, this list tells me that the EX level is subjectively "worth" to me maybe as much as c. $4000, making the $1600 price seem like a bargain.

Next post I'll try to do the same with the EX-T compared to the EX.
Sponsored