Which new Civic model would you buy? And why?

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
EX msrp w dest: $21,875

EX-T msrp w dest: $23,035

Before we got the full info, I thought this trim just added the turbo engine, which is obviously a big deal, but still $1160 seemed maybe a little steep for a better engine. But actually the engine is just one of several things added at this trim level, although obviously the most important. One of the other important things that the EX-T trim adds is that the CVT transmission is a modified version of the heavy duty unit used for the Accord, in order to deal with the extra power and torque. That's a big deal as well. As above, I'm going to list what each of the EX-T added features are subjectively worth to me....

1.5 Turbo engine/dual exhaust/turbo indicator: $900
"Accord" CVT: $500
17" alloys/tires: $400
fog lights: $300
Heated front seats: $400
XM/HD Radio/fin antenna: $300
Dual Zone Climate: $300
upgraded Hydraulic rear suspension: $400
body-colored spoiler: $100

Again, it's very subjective, but to me the EX-T level seems to be "worth" over $3000 to me, making this model a great deal from my pov.

The EX-T trim does seem kinda like a "luxury Si" with an auto trans to me. Although if the real Si gets the 2.0, it'll obviously blow the doors off of this car.

My current ride, however, is a 2008 Accord, which probably makes it to 60 in about 9 seconds, which means that the c. 7 seconds to 60 for the EX-T will be a huge improvement for me.

Even at current low gas prices, I also would save as much as $400 a year on fuel costs with the Civic EX-T compared to my 2008 Accord.
Sponsored

Last edited:

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
EX msrp w dest: $21,875

EX-T msrp w dest: $23,035

Before we got the full info, I thought this trim just added the turbo engine, which is obviously a big deal, but still $1160 seemed maybe a little steep for a better engine. But actually the engine is just one of several things added at this trim level, although obviously the most important. One of the other important things that the EX-T trim adds is that the CVT transmission is a modified version of the heavy duty unit used for the Accord, in order to deal with the extra power and torque. That's a big deal as well. As above, I'm going to list what each of the EX-T added features are subjectively worth to me....

1.5 Turbo engine/dual exhaust/turbo indicator: $900
"Accord" CVT: $500
17" alloys/tires: $400
fog lights: $300
Heated front seats: $400
XM/HD Radio/fin antenna: $300
Dual Zone Climate: $300
upgraded Hydraulic rear suspension: $400
body-colored spoiler: $100
Where did you hear that about the cvt being from the accord for the 1.5t?

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Where did you hear that about the cvt being from the accord for the 1.5t?
From Honda's official press release on the powertrain:

"Continuously Variable Transmission for 1.5L Turbo
Turbo Civic models offer a CVT that is an evolution of the CVT transmission that is offered in Accord 4-cylinder models. In this application, the transmission's final gear ratio is 4.69-percent taller than the Accord CVT on which it's based, to allow for lower engine rpm while cruising. A new generation of G-Design shift logic aids acceleration and has a more familiar driving feel. A new turbine twin-damper design for the torque converter provides tighter control and helps reduce turbocharger lag as the vehicle accelerates."

http://hondanews.com/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain?page=2

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I will be holding out for the Si Sedan. I've clocked 150K on my '09 Mazdaspeed3 and am ready for something a little more refined (and reliable) for the family.

That said, I will go straight to Subaru if Honda goofs on the powerplant (which I doubt). 2.0T is pretty much expected at this point.

OP
OP

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
1994 Accord: length 184 inches, width 70.1 inches

2016 Civic: length 182.3 inches, width 70.8

So for those old enough to remember fondly the 5th generation of Accord, the new Civic is about that size

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Dimensions are pretty similar to a 4 Series Gran Coupe.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont..._Specs/428ixDriveGranCoupeSpecifications.aspx

Yes, rationalizing saving money and getting the new Civic vs the Bimmer I've wanted for the last 3 years.
Didn't realize how long the Civic sedan was until this comparison. That means the Civic is even longer than a 3 Series sedan. The 4 series gran coupe is definitely a beautiful car but it starts at over $41k and that's with no options or packages. Its also a heavy mother at probably 700-800 pounds heavier than the 2016 Civic.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
I will be holding out for the Si Sedan. I've clocked 150K on my '09 Mazdaspeed3 and am ready for something a little more refined (and reliable) for the family.

That said, I will go straight to Subaru if Honda goofs on the powerplant (which I doubt). 2.0T is pretty much expected at this point.
Waiting on the Si too but in coupe form. The coupe concept and the renderings here really did me in. Or maybe even hold out for the Type R if the price-to-performance ratio is right and the hatchback looks good. I hope we at least know Type R specs by the time the Si is available for sale so I can make an informed decision between the two, but that's looking unlikely. But maybe we'll at least know what the hatchback looks like by then.

And I doubt Honda will goof on the Si powerplant. They've already shown they made good on their word to transform the standard Civic back to sportiness what a total shame'd it be if they then messed up the Si.

LBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z
Drove an 8th gen Si coupe a few months ago and that was a hoot. My Z's on its last legs and honestly it's given me so many problems. I don't mind the switch to FWD if it's giving me a new car, easier on the wallet, and better reliability. If it gets a bigger displacement turbo engine then the standard model there'll be some nice tuning upside too. Plus the looks of the 10th gen coupe looks like it's a winner so far.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I got the touring, I'm a techie working in I.T. this car is a techie dream :) I commute 70+ miles a day so the MPG is great for that.
I love the styling outside, the sleek lines. I'm new to the CVT it's taking some time to get used to. I drove MT for over 30 years so it's hard to not have it especially on a car like this.
The interior is not just nice for the driver, but all the passengers can be comfortable too. It has features that cars costing 10 grand more don't have! And there are some good accessories so everyone can customize and make it their own.
2+ weeks and 900+ miles in, I'm very very pleased with my purchase. Its everything I hoped it would be and more. I still have not seen another one "in the wild" mine is turning heads everywhere I go.
And people are so shocked its a Civic.

hondabuildquality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
And comparing the EX CVT to the LX CVT on the 2016 Civic it seems like the $1600 price difference is a very good deal. If things on the 2016 Civic are similar to the 2015, here are some key features you get by moving to an EX, and after that is my subjective number for how much that feature might be worth to me personally (which would be different for everyone, of course):

larger alloy wheels/upgraded tires: $600
How much better are the tires on the EX compared to the LX?
Sponsored