Krylar

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So, i tried searching the forum, i'll be honest, only checked like 3 pages for what i was looking for and I've looked at the website a bunch and what i have read I've got mixed answers it seems.

I just bought the car in December of 2019, and even before i bought it, i knew i wanted KTuner w/ TSP Stage 1, however, i'm still not sure if i need V2 or if i can get away with v1.2.

I do not own a laptop, and i live in an apartment so i need a device that can have the tune loaded onto it, and then brought too the car to be tuned without having to have a laptop connected. I'm unfortunately not familiar with KTuner's at all as my previous cars used SCT X4 (Mustang GT / GT500), or, required a laptop (Hondata S300 on my B16B EG Hatch). I no longer live 10 minutes away from my buddy who handled all my tuning, i now live about 10 hours away, YIKES!

From what I've gathered it sounds like i will have to use the V2, but I've also read some forum posts that make it sound like it is possible to upload the tune with v1.2? I would like to just tune it, and forget it so to speak. Basically upload the tune too the car, and then unplug the device and store it away until i need it again.

Anyone familiar with both that can give me a definite answer? I've heard of jail-breaking the head unit for the Civic, but the idea kind of scares me since its a 2020 Si, and i don't really see any reason to do it other than for the tune *shrug*.

Thank you in advance.

PS: This is my first post on this website other than my introduction :D
Sponsored

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
A computer is required to setup the tunes on the unit with either unit. If you don't have a laptop, but do have a desktop, the V2 can be locked on the display without a computer and setup with a desktop via the KTuner software later. It's easy. See the tutorial videos available on the KTuner website help section.

You can flash tunes that are stored on the unit directly from a V2. You would need the TunerView app on a phone, tablet, or head unit in order to flash tunes that are stored on a V1.2

OP
OP
Krylar

Krylar

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Okay that is what i sort of expected. I like the functionality of the V2 a lot from what i've read and seen, but since i don't do much custom tuning or the sort i feel like i won't utilize it to the fullest, but we shall see! I will see if i can find videos of the v1.2 using the app versus a laptop, last i searched on youtube i saw nothing but laptops being used but i do appreciate the confirmation!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
"I don't have a laptop"...

Your only choice is the V2. Even though you can upload a tune via the tunerview app without a laptop, the only way you can lock your KTuner V1.2 unit to your vehicle is via a laptop. And if you can't lock the KTuner unit to your ECU, you can't tune. You also need a laptop to unlock the V1.2 when you sell it or potentially for dealer visits.

Yes, the V2 costs more but it's a great unit. It's also great to plug in from time to time while driving to monitor things like knock control and fuel trims.

OP
OP
Krylar

Krylar

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Ah, thats what i needed to know! Thank you kindly! It'll probably be a little longer before i order it, want to get through this craziness before i spend any extra money on the car to make sure i don't get any surprises.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
Keep in mind if you use a laptop by chance you will need a high power USB port. I have a very powerful gaming laptop but it’s a few years old and unfortunately it didn’t have a power USB port. I could not link the V2 after downloading software. You have to go into car and power the V2 via the OBD2 port then connect to laptop.
Almost all computers now have powered USB ports so not a big issue lately.

Other that that the V2 is fantastic and makes it easy to change tunes.
Sponsored