Which generation of Corvette would you buy?

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm interested in the last three generations only myself. The C5 has always been beautiful but I think at this point, when I'm ready to buy in a couple of years, it'll be too old and have too many miles. Plus the relative horsepower is lower than the last two generations. I'm thinking the C6 will be the sweet spot between price and power. The C7 definitely looks like a super car though, though the rear and is weird. I like how the interior is very driver oriented; the passenger looks like a sidecar. It looks like a cockpit.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd definitely go for the C7, Z06 for sure.

It's comparable to the Civic IMO.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've owned 5 white Corvettes, '57, '58, '63, '67 and '72. Guess I'm old school. A Corvette to me is an investment that I hope appreciates in value as it ages. I really like the new Corvettes but there is an enjoyment to owning a toy that can go up in value.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
There is nothing wrong with a C5. Despite two succeeding generations, the C5 remains one of the most beautiful, modern Corvettes made. Personally, I wouldn't mind owning a Pewter C5 I see running around town. It may not be a C6 or C6 Z06 (427c.i.) but it costs less than a '16 Civic and has a couple hundred more hp. If that's not good enough, a simple cam swap and exhaust can add another hundred hp for peanuts.

If you keep holding out for a C7 or even a C7 Z06 in a couple years then you really can't afford one. That kind of car is like owning a yacht or private jet... You'll need more money for upkeep beyond the purchase price. If you're determined to have a C6, at least look into a 2008+ which has the LS3, Tremec tranny and some other upgrades.

Before anything else, call your insurance company for a couple of quotes because your age, driving history and credit score make a big difference on your finances.

Oh, I also should add that you can find many examples of very low-mileage Vettes because they're typically weekend cars for older dudes (i.e. bankers and retired airline pilots) who drive their Civic's most of the time. They just want, and can afford, the latest and greatest Vette and then let it sit in the garage.

Last edited:

OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Wow, two letters and nothing about avoiding depreciation.
I think in a few years the C7 will be easy to afford. The thing is I really don't like the back end. It just looks messy and busy. C5/C6 are smooth and beautiful.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
The C7 isn't the end all of Corvettes. If you can't get ahold of a C7 ZO6, the most-powerful incarnation (with unfortunate overheating problems), then don't bother with the more common, narrow-bodied C7s populating dealer lots right now.

No big deal because even the C5 is gorgeous and powerful. The cool thing about Corvettes right now is that the C5-C7 are unique generations and one doesn't look worse than the other.

If money were no object, then heck yeah, get a C7R but if you want a $20K-ish used car like a C5 that could easily challenge a Ferrari, much less the latest Civic turbo then you're in luck. Yeah it's an LS1 but go-fast parts are cheap and plentiful. The aftermarket is as thick as a New York phone book. Better to get a low-mileage Vette now before the owner sticks about 500 more gaudy "Corvette" logos all around though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've been thinking and thinking about it but now I'm thinking about getting the C5. It would be less money and it's always been the body style I've lusted after.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
That would be a wise choice given my financials but yours may be completely different. Speaking hypothetically though, I'd still have my '16 Civic for a DD and a C5 for a beast toy.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I saw my favorite C5 again tonight. A beautiful pewter finish. Damn, that car is just sexy. I wouldn't mind that in my garage!

OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I saw my favorite C5 again tonight. A beautiful pewter finish. Damn, that car is just sexy. I wouldn't mind that in my garage!
This past week I have flip flopped so much in my head. The C5 is absolutely sexy. I guess part of me sees it as "old" new. I hate that feeling. A car should feel timeless, and the C5 does. The new C7 looks much more like a Ferrari.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd buy which ever version wasn't made by Chevy. :)
Sponsored