Newcivwhodis

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R Boost blue
Country flag
Hello, Civ fam. I recently bought a 2020 type r and I was wondering what exhaust I should buy? I dont want drone and I dont want to sound like a ricer. I like more of a deep sounding exhaust. I looked at fuji's, Awe, HKS, And Mugens exhaust which is about 5 bones. I just wanted to know yalls perspective and maybe hear about other companies.
Also, should I add a downpipe or no?

TY
Sponsored

Last edited:

halohalomix206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
if you want something super subtle Fuji is your best bet while being full on titanium. I've been through a J's racing race exhaust and that was my fav sounding but was loud as hell. They do have a street version which is way more tame.

OP
OP
Newcivwhodis

Newcivwhodis

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
if you want something super subtle Fuji is your best bet while being full on titanium. I've been through a J's racing race exhaust and that was my fav sounding but was loud as hell. They do have a street version which is way more tame.
I was thinking Fuji but for some reason the 3 tail piece is pleasing to me. 0.0

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
HKS Legamax still remains one of my favorite sounding FK8 exhausts. It gave my car the voice it should've had from the factory IMO.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If you're looking for pure sound, HKS is going to be on the cheaper side of things and quite tame from what I've read ($750-1000). Greddy DD-R has some things in place to reduce drone (the other Greddy systems do not based on what I've read) but will be on the louder side of things ($700-900). AWS will be a low-midrange priced option that is on the louder side of things ($1300-1500). Borla is a low-midrange that is adjustable, so it goes quiet to loud; it's also the one used on the TCR ($1200-1500). 27Won is upper-midrange, I don't quite have a full grasp on how loud it'll be since it's been hard to get an unedited of it using a stock downpipe ($1700). From what I hear though, it's got a great sound though and most customers are very happy with their purchase. There are also a few valvetronic exhausts which begin your lower-highend price range like Remus and Armytrix (about $2000 + $500 for the active sound adjuster for both) or a boost-based valvetronic system like Boost Logic's which matches the price of the Remus and Armytrix.

There are a bunch of Ti exhaust systems that are in the $2000-3000 range. if you're looking to shed weight, though I'm not 100% on how they particularly sound, though Tomei has released theirs at around $1300-1500 (they also tend to be ridiculously loud though). Though the BoostLogic one is Ti and the HKS Spec-L will lighten things up, but keep in mind it probably can't handle more than 400HP (per HKS' words).

Most of the listed exhausts here are advertised to reduce drone in some way (with the exception of the Tomei). Keep in mind that drone is not the only thing that annoys owners of these exhausts though.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
exhausts are way too subjective.
i really suggest you to hear one in person and get a ride in it and see. Might be hard to meet up or find a local person with an exhaust during this whole pandemic but yeah ...

what might sound good to one person, might not sound good for another. People are also pretty biased to an exhaust they currently own and run too ...

having a downpipe or not also changes how loud and raspy it is also.

OP
OP
Newcivwhodis

Newcivwhodis

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're looking for pure sound, HKS is going to be on the cheaper side of things and quite tame from what I've read ($750-1000). Greddy DD-R has some things in place to reduce drone (the other Greddy systems do not based on what I've read) but will be on the louder side of things ($700-900). AWS will be a low-midrange priced option that is on the louder side of things ($1300-1500). Borla is a low-midrange that is adjustable, so it goes quiet to loud; it's also the one used on the TCR ($1200-1500). 27Won is upper-midrange, I don't quite have a full grasp on how loud it'll be since it's been hard to get an unedited of it using a stock downpipe ($1700). From what I hear though, it's got a great sound though and most customers are very happy with their purchase. There are also a few valvetronic exhausts which begin your lower-highend price range like Remus and Armytrix (about $2000 + $500 for the active sound adjuster for both) or a boost-based valvetronic system like Boost Logic's which matches the price of the Remus and Armytrix.

There are a bunch of Ti exhaust systems that are in the $2000-3000 range. if you're looking to shed weight, though I'm not 100% on how they particularly sound, though Tomei has released theirs at around $1300-1500 (they also tend to be ridiculously loud though). Though the BoostLogic one is Ti and the HKS Spec-L will lighten things up, but keep in mind it probably can't handle more than 400HP (per HKS' words).

Most of the listed exhausts here are advertised to reduce drone in some way (with the exception of the Tomei). Keep in mind that drone is not the only thing that annoys owners of these exhausts though.
That's a lot to look at and I appreciate it. This pandemic has me blindly searching for parts to buy for my car so thank you for the input! What do you have on your car? I kind of like the 27won cause it just looks amazing.
thank you again!

OP
OP
Newcivwhodis

Newcivwhodis

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
exhausts are way too subjective.
i really suggest you to hear one in person and get a ride in it and see. Might be hard to meet up or find a local person with an exhaust during this whole pandemic but yeah ...

what might sound good to one person, might not sound good for another. People are also pretty biased to an exhaust they currently own and run too ...

having a downpipe or not also changes how loud and raspy it is also.
Yeah, I will say even finding a Type R in my area is hard haha. I've seen maybe 5-6 in the past 3-4 years and now with this garbage virus going around it def makes it impossible to find one.
Thank you for your input!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
That's a lot to look at and I appreciate it. This pandemic has me blindly searching for parts to buy for my car so thank you for the input! What do you have on your car? I kind of like the 27won cause it just looks amazing.
thank you again!
I'm currently running the stock exhaust still but recently bit the bullet on a Borla, so excited to get that one whenever the time is right. I've been looking at exhausts under the 2k price point, which is why the majority of the ones I listed are right in that price point. Good luck finding something that suites you. The 27Won is a solid choice on paper and the sound clips with the exhaust paired with a catless DP are absolutely fantastic!

Edit: was was torn between the 27Won and Borla. At the end of the day, the fact that I could adjust the noise output of the Borla while saving a few extra hundred dollars was what won me over that direction.

OP
OP
Newcivwhodis

Newcivwhodis

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm currently running the stock exhaust still but recently bit the bullet on a Borla, so excited to get that one whenever the time is right. I've been looking at exhausts under the 2k price point, which is why the majority of the ones I listed are right in that price point. Good luck finding something that suites you. The 27Won is a solid choice on paper and the sound clips with the exhaust paired with a catless DP are absolutely fantastic!
Oh dope ! I looked at a borla things look insane! Please share pictures when you install it! Yeah, Idk if catless will pass inspection but I am down to find out first hand haha!
Thank you for your time my guy! have a good one and be safe! Dont forget to send some pics of that exhaust!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Oh dope ! I looked at a borla things look insane! Please share pictures when you install it! Yeah, Idk if catless will pass inspection but I am down to find out first hand haha!
Thank you for your time my guy! have a good one and be safe! Dont forget to send some pics of that exhaust!
I'll send pictures, though I'm having RCA Garage (who I bought it from) do the install. I'll get pics up when it's installed though. Catless probably won't pass inspection, but might depending location.
Sponsored